PDA

View Full Version : why are default GNOME themes nearly always so fugly...

nolliecrooked
June 3rd, 2009, 10:33 PM
....apart from Mint 7, all GNOME based distros look like crap.

monsterstack
June 3rd, 2009, 10:33 PM
ok.

Tipped OuT
June 3rd, 2009, 10:35 PM

I agree, but they make it easy on the graphics card for other people with older hardware.

nolliecrooked
June 3rd, 2009, 10:40 PM
I agree, but they make it easy on the graphics card for other people with older hardware.

lol no dude, a decent icon/GTK theme wouldnt be any more stressful on hardware than the ugly ones...

Tipped OuT
June 3rd, 2009, 10:44 PM
lol no dude, a decent icon/GTK theme wouldnt be any more stressful on hardware than the ugly ones...

Then you have a lot to learn. The Clearlooks theme engine (for example) is a lot less of a load on the graphics card. Also notice, it only has two main colors, a cream color and orange. Less colors, less load on the graphics also. I'm a graphic designer for the PSP's Cross Media Bar, I know these things.

People tend to forget that Ubuntu is also made for 3rd world countries (or poor areas) with people that can't afford to buy a new computer, and have the latest hardware.

OutOfReach
June 3rd, 2009, 10:47 PM
Fedora's themes are really good default themes, in my opinion.

Tipped OuT
June 3rd, 2009, 10:48 PM
Fedora's themes are really good default themes, in my opinion.

I like Mint's default theme. Very nice.

nolliecrooked
June 3rd, 2009, 10:49 PM
Then you have a lot to learn. The Clearlooks theme is engine (for example) is a lot less of a load on the graphics card. Also notice, it only has two main colors, a cream color and orange. Less colors, less load on the graphics also. I'm a graphic designer for the PSP's Cross Media Bar, I know these things.

lol, your a 15 year old kid, so excuse me if I dont believe you :P

and so all Clearlooks themes have to be ugly?

Murrine isnt much more stressful on hardware than Clearlooks.

bekind2thenoob
June 3rd, 2009, 10:51 PM
Mint 7's theme is a version of Shiki Colors

http://code.google.com/p/gnome-colors/

Tipped OuT
June 3rd, 2009, 10:52 PM

Oh geez. Murrine uses compositing. If you do not know what that is, then yeah, forget it. And I re-edited my last post, please read it again. ;)

nolliecrooked
June 3rd, 2009, 10:52 PM
Mint 7's theme is a version of Shiki Colors

http://code.google.com/p/gnome-colors/

yup, I know, but it still looks great. Jaunty should have had New Wave, with Dark Menus as the default.

ghindo
June 3rd, 2009, 10:55 PM
I don't mind OpenSuSe's theme too much.

0per4t0r
June 3rd, 2009, 10:55 PM
Crux and Darkroom aren't too bad.

nolliecrooked
June 3rd, 2009, 11:00 PM

lol, I find openSUSE to be one of the most boring...
but yeah, even XP still has a much better looking icon theme than any Linux distro Ive ever tried.

gnomeuser
June 3rd, 2009, 11:58 PM

I really dig the new openSUSE 11.2 theme Sonar (http://files.opensuse.org/opensuse/en/3/38/OS11.2M2-gnome.png), it's still in it's early stages but it is nice in use.

don_quixote
June 4th, 2009, 05:23 AM

Suggestion: if you're going to attack someone based on their age, I suggest that:

- You capitalize your sentences in the proper places (e.g. after a period).
- You grasp the distinction between you're and your.
- You don't write like my 13 year old cousin.

Apologies if this is a bit harsh, but it irks me to read messages that border on illiterate.

PS: Clearlooks is very professional. I use a (admittedly) custom version of it and I would hardly call it ugly.

Tipped OuT
June 4th, 2009, 05:52 AM
Suggestion: if you're going to attack someone based on their age, I suggest that:

Apologies if this is a bit harsh, but it irks me to read messages that border on illiterate.

PS: Clearlooks is very professional. I use a (admittedly) custom version of it and I would hardly call it ugly.

Thank you Don, for your kind words. :smile:

Tristam Green
June 4th, 2009, 01:47 PM
GNOME's default themes aren't that bad. The only one that I can think of that sends a chill down my back is "Redmond" ;-)

SunnyRabbiera
June 4th, 2009, 02:13 PM
lol, I find openSUSE to be one of the most boring...
but yeah, even XP still has a much better looking icon theme than any Linux distro Ive ever tried.

Feh Xp's icons are as cartoony as the playschool toolbars that luna gives you.
Obviously you havent tried Dreamlinux that gives an awesome icon set, humans pretty good too.

XubuRoxMySox
June 4th, 2009, 02:14 PM

Oh, I get it. Youth = dishonesty.

There's no prejudice like age prejudice. Kids may lack experience and wisdom, but that doesn't mean we lack integrity or honesty.

Pft.

-Robin

RiceMonster
June 4th, 2009, 02:15 PM

You said what I wanted to :).

Therion
June 4th, 2009, 02:28 PM
....apart from Mint 7, all GNOME based distros look like crap.Why does it seem so many people have difficulty distinguishing rational opinion from rational fact?

You're absolutely entitled to your opinion but it irks me when people drop the "I think" part of their statement in an attempt to bolster their argument by stating it as being something obvious, generally accepted or simple fact when it's actually a statement of opinion and nothing more.

Let's see...

I think, apart from Mint 7, all GNOME based distros look like crap.

Ahhh... That's quite a different statement now, isn't it?

SunnyRabbiera
June 4th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Out of all the default clearlooks copies I see a good 99.9 distros use these days I really like Fedora's Nodoka, Nodika looks nice and is a bit more modern looking then Clearlooks.
I really wish Clearlooks was left behind though, Murrine has compositing but really its not that bad.
I think the next step forward is Murrine but no one seems to want to touch it, maybe modify it to not use compositing as much.
But no, the artwork teams are lazy and rather come up with the 7000th clearlooks variation.
If only KDE4 were more stable.
I just wish the theming teams were more inventive, I miss the old Human theme seen from 6.06 to Hardy as even though it was clearlooks it tried to stand out a little.
But instead of coming up with something a little different everyones using the same clearlooks theme but with different colers, thats why I like Nodoka as even though its still clearlooks at least it stands out a little.

Chilli Bob
June 5th, 2009, 01:54 AM

If he had left out the bit about Mint, this would be the most pure troll post ever.

EDIT: I just thought of an apt rely.

JUST LIKE YOUR MOM!!!!!

I love intellectual debate.

H2SO_four
June 5th, 2009, 02:01 AM
Flame war!!!!

MasterNetra
June 5th, 2009, 02:02 AM
If he had left out the bit about Mint, this would be the most pure troll post ever.

All command line only distros are crap! Does that work better for ya :p

DISCLAMIER:This is not my actual opinion and is strictly play, if your offended by play then your a retard. Have a wonderful day!

Warpnow
June 5th, 2009, 02:15 AM
I can't stand how linux mint looks. I don't understand why anyone likes it...

But to each their own.

I like clearlooks, human, or dust to be honest. I am using dust right now.

Chilli Bob
June 5th, 2009, 02:18 AM
[quote=MasterNetra;7402186]All command line only distros are crap! Does that work better for ya :p

No, too vague. How about....

"Everyone except me is wrong about everything !"

Yep, that should cover all situations.

chucky chuckaluck
June 5th, 2009, 02:55 AM
ugly themes distract from that stupid, ugly foot mess.

buzzmandt
June 5th, 2009, 03:09 AM

How about
"all command line only distros have the worst icons ever!"

lol

XubuRoxMySox
June 5th, 2009, 03:50 AM
I can't stand how linux mint looks. I don't understand why anyone likes it...

In the immortal words of Enterprise Chief Engineer Montgomery Scott ("Scotty"),

"it's green!"

Works for leprachauns, I guess.

Of course depending on your desktop environment, changing the look may be as simple as selecting a different wallpaper.

TheNosh
June 5th, 2009, 03:57 AM
How about
"all command line only distros have the worst icons ever!"

lol

but they deffinately have the best compositing :lolflag:

RiceMonster
June 5th, 2009, 04:01 AM
but they deffinately have the best compositing :lolflag:

I can't get the cube to work in the frame buffer. What am I doing wrong?

monsterstack
June 5th, 2009, 04:11 AM
I can't get the cube to work in the frame buffer. What am I doing wrong?

Upgrade to Bash 4.0. Here are some screenshots:

user@host:~$>

user@host:~#>

I couldn't find any screenshots of Bash on the side of a half-rotated cube, though. :(

TheNosh
June 5th, 2009, 05:12 AM
Upgrade to Bash 4.0. Here are some screenshots:

user@host:~$>

user@host:~#>

I couldn't find any screenshots of Bash on the side of a half-rotated cube, though. :(

that's beautiful, i'm gonna go try that

init1
June 5th, 2009, 05:25 AM
You don't need a fast computer for a good theme.

markharding557
June 5th, 2009, 11:20 PM
Thank you Don, for your kind words. :smile:

you seem more mature than some of the older people around here

doas777
June 5th, 2009, 11:42 PM

complaining about spelling in a thread that isn;t about spelling, is seriously tilting at some windmills mr quixote.

heroidi
June 5th, 2009, 11:48 PM
Gnome has made all those themes for us to costumize them if you don't like them but most of the people use the human theme as deafult or the darkroom for myself i like darkroom but i modify my ubuntu myself :D

don_quixote
June 6th, 2009, 12:10 AM
complaining about spelling in a thread that isn;t about spelling, is seriously tilting at some windmills mr quixote.

If the OPs distrust of another poster is based on the apparent maturity, then it does not make sense to write something like 'OMG! lolz, lolz, I'm so l33t, your not bks your 15!' as a reply.

doas777
June 6th, 2009, 12:16 AM
If the OPs distrust of another poster is based on the apparent maturity, then it does not make sense to write something like 'OMG! lolz, lolz, I'm so l33t, your not bks your 15!' as a reply.

excelent point. sounds like a thesis to base a post upon.

don_quixote
June 6th, 2009, 02:39 AM
excelent point. sounds like a thesis to base a post upon.

Sounds like you are very bored.

dragos240
June 6th, 2009, 02:47 AM

DISCLAMIER:This is not my actual opinion and is strictly play, if your offended by play then your a retard. Have a wonderful day!

What distros don't have X?

Chilli Bob
June 6th, 2009, 04:14 AM
What distros don't have X?

Try this one....(Ubuntu based)

http://inx.maincontent.net/

dspari1
June 6th, 2009, 04:31 AM
http://news.softpedia.com/images/extra/LINUX/large/sabayongnome41-large_003.jpg

I like this the best.

The Real Dave
June 6th, 2009, 10:01 AM
There crap for two reasons.

1) Its easier on older and slower hardware.

2) There crap to inspire you to change them, to customise. Otherwise, everyone would all have the same cool theme. Whereas if you start off with something horrible, your gonna wanna change it, and then Bam, you've begun customising your Linux. And over time, your gonna continue tinkering with it, and learn things you wouldn't have otherwise. Thats the whole point of Linux as far as Im concerned :D

Oh and BTW, at least its better than XP's Fisher Price look :lolflag:

Tipped OuT
June 6th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Feh Xp's icons are as cartoony as the playschool toolbars that luna gives you.
Obviously you havent tried Dreamlinux that gives an awesome icon set, humans pretty good too.

El Oh El

Giant Speck
June 6th, 2009, 10:34 AM
Making GTK themes is fun. :)

chris4585
June 6th, 2009, 01:57 PM
I wish people would stop complaining, its not hard to get up and change a theme. It's not like you're doing rocket science or messing with the kernel...

NightwishFan
June 6th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Gnome can look fine... Geez... It is all personal taste.

Also murrine is very lightweight, I use it all the time.

speedwell68
June 6th, 2009, 02:28 PM
There crap for two reasons.

1) Its easier on older and slower hardware.

2) There crap to inspire you to change them, to customise. Otherwise, everyone would all have the same cool theme. Whereas if you start off with something horrible, your gonna wanna change it, and then Bam, you've begun customising your Linux. And over time, your gonna continue tinkering with it, and learn things you wouldn't have otherwise. Thats the whole point of Linux as far as Im concerned :D

Oh and BTW, at least its better than XP's Fisher Price look :lolflag:

Exactly.:D

Anzan
June 6th, 2009, 05:16 PM
Try this one....(Ubuntu based)

http://inx.maincontent.net/

This is a great tool to learn what's under the stones and twigs and how to use them even when climbing trees or wandering in the forest.

The best Linux tool is the terminal and the GNU tools.

Anything GUI is a pile of pretty widgets upon widgets that can make some things easier but a lot of important things harder and impossible to fix. If I know how the widgets are piled or, better yet, how to go CommandoLIne when I need to then I don't have to stop what I'm doing and restart as if I were using Windows and just ignore the problem instead of understanding it and fixing it.

Re GNOME themes, why does gnome-theme-properties and gnome-display-properties bunch up and eat CPU so often?

I cannot find out so use Fluxbox.

Sand & Mercury
June 6th, 2009, 06:39 PM
I really dig the new openSUSE 11.2 theme Sonar (http://files.opensuse.org/opensuse/en/3/38/OS11.2M2-gnome.png), it's still in it's early stages but it is nice in use.
Wow, I see some real potential there. I'm gonna download the latest daily of theirs and keep tabs on it.

Saint Angeles
June 6th, 2009, 06:45 PM

i'm sorry, but i hate capital letters. i'm part of a movement to abolish them completely. they're ugly and pointless.

lower-case revolution!!

swoll1980
June 6th, 2009, 06:47 PM
Fugliness is subjective, or should I say fugliness is in the eye of the beholder.

swoll1980
June 6th, 2009, 06:53 PM
I suggest that:

Some people don't know how to do these things. Does this make them inferior beings on your planet.

gnomeuser
June 6th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Wow, I see some real potential there. I'm gonna download the latest daily of theirs and keep tabs on it.

I have have been playing with openSUSE 11.2, Sonar in use, aside for the way it makes the slab menu looks dull and grey is great. The dark green glow the window decoration have look awesome, very pleasant yet snazzy.

Tipped OuT
June 6th, 2009, 07:10 PM
Some people don't know how to do these things. Does this make them inferior beings on your planet.

No, but if he doesn't even know basic grammar, then he shouldn't be calling me out on my age. Obviously I know my basic grammar, which just makes him look bad. In the end, what I said was true, the themes are "fugly" because there light weight, less of a stress on older hardware. I told him why, and hes seems to disagree for what ever reason. It's okay though, I go through this with people all the time. I guess for some people it's hard to accept, a 15 year old might know a little more then they do on certain subjects. :p

TT

swoll1980
June 6th, 2009, 07:20 PM
No, but if he doesn't even know basic grammar, then he shouldn't be calling me out on my age.

I agree your age shouldn't matter on this subject, but when he puts someone down for something like grammar, he may offend more than one person.

Tipped OuT
June 6th, 2009, 07:23 PM
I agree your age shouldn't matter on this subject, but when he puts someone down for something like grammar, he may offend more than one person.

Agreed. :)

TT

TheNosh
June 8th, 2009, 05:07 AM
I'm a graphic designer for the PSP's Cross Media Bar

I think the objection had more to do with this bit, which does seem strange for 15 but stranger things have happened.

i'm sorry, but i hate capital letters. i'm part of a movement to abolish them completely. they're ugly and pointless.

lower-case revolution!!

i'm don't exactly have anything against capitalization, but when it comes to using it for "I" or at the start of sentences open office or IBM Lotus Symphony will automatically do it for me, so i usually forget when typing outside my word proccessors.

Tipped OuT
June 8th, 2009, 05:25 AM
I think the objection had more to do with this bit, which does seem strange for 15 but stranger things have happened.

How is this strange? It's not like I work for Sony or anything, I just make XMB (Cross Media Bar) themes. Just like when some one makes a GTK theme, no difference. But the PSP's XMB has certain formats, and memory issues with images. I find that images with less color, take up less memory. As well as BMP's with Alpha channels, use less memory then PNG's with transparency.

TheNosh
June 8th, 2009, 05:38 AM
It's not like I work for Sony or anything

that's what i figured, but i wasn't quite sure because it was pretty easy to misinterprate. so if he thought you were saying you worked for Sony i could understand skeptisism there.

zmjjmz
June 8th, 2009, 05:38 AM
I honestly don't think that the people running these older computers should be running GNOME in the first place.

TheNosh
June 8th, 2009, 05:48 AM
I honestly don't think that the people running these older computers should be running GNOME in the first place.

i would agree with you, but i think it's their decision

H2SO_four
June 8th, 2009, 05:52 AM
First thing after I do a new install is get all my programs installed. Second thing is change the way everything looks. Default settings work fine for the first couple hours. Thats it. :(

Tipped OuT
June 8th, 2009, 05:56 AM
First thing after I do a new install is get all my programs installed. Second thing is change the way everything looks. Default settings work fine for the first couple hours. Thats it. :(

Same here. I do wish that Ubuntu's default look could look better then it is now, but we got to have some curtsy for the people with older hardware. This is what makes Ubuntu (or Linux in general) so great, nobody gets left out just because they don't have [amount here] of RAM, and a graphics card that supports [feature here], unlike Windows.

H2SO_four
June 8th, 2009, 06:10 AM
They probably didn't spend too much energy getting great themes knowing the average user is going to do something different anyway...

TheNosh
June 8th, 2009, 06:18 AM
we got to have some curtsy for the people with older hardware. This is what makes ubuntu (or linux in general) so great, nobody gets left out just because they don't have [amount here] of ram, and a graphics card that supports [feature here], unlike windows.

+1

keplerspeed
June 8th, 2009, 06:23 AM
And the theme is not that hard to change.. Hear hear h2so_four!

Viva
June 8th, 2009, 07:37 AM
Default theme is the least of my concerns. Whats good if the default theme looks great, but you can't install another without installing a patch?

Tipped OuT
June 8th, 2009, 07:44 AM
Default theme is the least of my concerns. Whats good if the default theme looks great, but you can't install another without installing a patch?

??

Viva
June 8th, 2009, 07:47 AM
You have to replace a library in windows xp to install an unsigned theme.

Tipped OuT
June 8th, 2009, 08:10 AM
You have to replace a library in windows xp to install an unsigned theme.

Oh, thought you were talking about Ubuntu.

doas777
June 8th, 2009, 05:34 PM
Same here. I do wish that Ubuntu's default look could look better then it is now, but we got to have some curtsy for the people with older hardware. This is what makes Ubuntu (or Linux in general) so great, nobody gets left out just because they don't have [amount here] of RAM, and a graphics card that supports [feature here], unlike Windows.

so what does that say about those of us that have good hardware and want to get some bang out of it? lowest common denominator thinking is rarely optimal.

personally I see the purpose of ubuntu to be "just works, feature complete", and as such it is competing with modern OSs like Vista and OSX. an ubuntu box should have comparable hardware.

I fully support slimmed down distros for older or minimalistic hardware (that is much of the beauty of linux), but ubuntu isn't one of them.

I would like to see the new features and capabilities that modern hardware can provide. anything less is a waste of my capacity.

RiceMonster
June 8th, 2009, 06:26 PM
so what does that say about those of us that have good hardware and want to get some bang out of it?

So install a more resource intensive theme then...

doas777
June 14th, 2009, 08:43 PM
No, but if he doesn't even know basic grammar, then he shouldn't be calling me out on my age. Obviously I know my basic grammar, which just makes him look bad. In the end, what I said was true, the themes are "fugly" because there light weight, less of a stress on older hardware. I told him why, and hes seems to disagree for what ever reason. It's okay though, I go through this with people all the time. I guess for some people it's hard to accept, a 15 year old might know a little more then they do on certain subjects. :p

TT

dude, no worries about your age. I've seen you arround enought to know that i wish i had had your level of expertise at that age. who ever questioned it should be ashamed.
I just hate seeing spelling-totalitarianists online.

there have been times in my life when someone stuck up for me, in a very bad way and made the situation worse. nothing you can do abuot it but cringe.

have fun sir

Tipped OuT
June 14th, 2009, 08:46 PM
so what does that say about those of us that have good hardware and want to get some bang out of it? lowest common denominator thinking is rarely optimal.

personally I see the purpose of ubuntu to be "just works, feature complete", and as such it is competing with modern OSs like Vista and OSX. an ubuntu box should have comparable hardware.

I fully support slimmed down distros for older or minimalistic hardware (that is much of the beauty of linux), but ubuntu isn't one of them.

I would like to see the new features and capabilities that modern hardware can provide. anything less is a waste of my capacity.

Install another theme and stop complaining. :lolflag:

nolliecrooked
June 15th, 2009, 04:47 AM
ok. things seem to have been seriously misunderstood here.

@tipped out;

when you say " I'm a graphic designer for the PSP's Cross Media Bar", what exactly do you mean?

can you change that stuff on a PSP? can users design and change their PSP X media bar thing?

if your saying that Sony employs you too design it then Im still calling you out.

as for the Linux theme thing with you. So because cleanlooks is less stressful on hardware, default themes based on it have to look like utter crap?

as for Murrine, you are aware that most PCs for like, ummmmm, I dont know, the last 10 years have shipped with 3D capable graphics hardware?

are you also aware that most peoples PCS statiscally are less than 4 years old? which means most of them ship with directx 9 capable graphics? Murrine isnt Vista Aero, it dosent need ultra strong hardware.

are you also aware of software compositing? GNOME has had this for a while.....

im pretty sure everyone here isnt running on pentium 2s, so your argument has no value.

@everyone else

ok so yea, I dont spell PERFECTLY when Im using forums/Ims, but then again I dont need to. as long as you can understand what Im saying, I dont give a toss...

this isnt my CV, its a forum. dont like it? then dont acknowledge me, because I sure as hell dont wanna
acknowledge you :)

Tipped OuT
June 15th, 2009, 04:53 AM
ok. things seem to have been seriously misunderstood here.

@tipped out;

when you say " I'm a graphic designer for the PSP's Cross Media Bar", what exactly do you mean?

can you change that stuff on a PSP? can users design and change their PSP X media bar thing?

if your saying that Sony employs you too design it then Im still calling you out.

as for the Linux theme thing with you. So because cleanlooks is less stressful on hardware, default themes based on it have to look like utter crap?

as for Murrine, you are aware that most PCs for like, ummmmm, I dont know, the last 10 years have shipped with 3D capable graphics hardware?

are you also aware that most peoples PCS statiscally are less than 4 years old? which means most of them ship with directx 9 capable graphics? Murrine isnt Vista Aero, it dosent need ultra strong hardware.

are you also aware of software compositing? GNOME has had this for a while.....

im pretty sure everyone here isnt running on pentium 2s, so your argument has no value.

I do not work for Sony. I make unofficial Cross Media Bar themes. Yes you can change how it looks.

I already explained everything else in previous posts that you're blabbing on about, and if you're saying Windows Aero doesn't require much to run, then I have nothing else to say to you sir, because obviously you don't know what you're talking about. Have a nice day.

TT

nolliecrooked
June 15th, 2009, 04:56 AM
I do not work for Sony. I make unofficial Cross Media Bar themes. Yes you can change how it looks.

I already explained everything else in previous posts that you're blabbing on about, and if you're saying Windows Aero doesn't require much to run, then I have nothing else to say to you sir, because obviously you don't know what you're talking about. Have a nice day.

TT

ok, I dont know jack-fudge about the PSP, so I apologize for calling you a liar.

as for everything else, go re-read what I said.

PS: dont like how I type? dont reply to me. its simple bro :P

TheNosh
June 15th, 2009, 05:07 AM
PS: There's this wonderful thing called a spell checker. Yes, when there's a red line underneath a word, it means it's spelled incorrectly. Right click it, and wallah.

it's not in every browser though. sure most Ubuntu users use firefox, but it isn't in opera (which i usually use) until now with opera 10 beta, and most users still use 9.64. (i know you can install 3rd party spellchecking, but frankly i'm to lazy for that)

on a side note the developers builds for both chromium and google chrome seem to have spell checking (using chrome now)

Tipped OuT
June 15th, 2009, 05:12 AM
ok, I dont know jack-fudge about the PSP, so I apologize for calling you a liar.

as for everything else, go re-read what I said.

Yeah I did, everything you said was ludicrous. You're saying every graphics card in the last 10 years had 3D Graphics support and Windows Aero doesn't require much to run, and since, pretty much all the graphic cards that people have nowadays, have 3D support, it can run the Murrine engine.

Let me correct all of that for you, the Murrine engine requires a graphics card that supports compositing, it has nothing to do with 3D support and no, not all graphic cards in the last 10 years support this, believe it or not, and nor do they have support for 3D, shocker yes.

Windows Aero requires AT LEAST 1 GB of RAM, a graphics card with 128 MB's, Direct X 9 and Pixel Shader 2.0 support. Believe it or not, not everyone has a graphics card or a computer that meet these requirements. If you think these are low requirements, then I really have nothing more to say to you.

I'm not mad and I'm not trying to make you look stupid, I just want you to understand this... so one day you don't get flamed for posting false information,

it's not in every browser though. sure most Ubuntu users use firefox, but it isn't in opera (which i usually use) until now with opera 10 beta, and most users still use 9.64. (i know you can install 3rd party spellchecking, but frankly i'm to lazy for that)

on a side note the developers builds for both chromium and google chrome seem to have spell checking (using chrome now)

I apologize for that comment, that was indeed rude.

TT

Viva
June 15th, 2009, 05:14 AM
I think Murrine will just ignore the compositing if there is no compositing manager running. The older murrine themes still work in the current engine.

Tipped OuT
June 15th, 2009, 05:19 AM
I think Murrine will just ignore the compositing if there is no compositing manager running. The older murrine themes still work in the current engine.

I think you have a point there Viva. ;)

nolliecrooked
June 15th, 2009, 05:33 AM
Yeah I did, everything you said was ludicrous. You're saying every graphics card in the last 10 years had 3D Graphics support and Windows Aero doesn't require much to run, and since, pretty much all the graphic cards that people have nowadays, have 3D support, it can run the Murrine engine.

Let me correct all of that for you, the Murrine engine requires a graphics card that supports compositing, it has nothing to do with 3D support and no, not all graphic cards in the last 10 years support this, believe it or not, and nor do they have support for 3D, shocker yes.

Windows Aero requires AT LEAST 1 GB of RAM, a graphics card with 128 MB's, Direct X 9 and Pixel Shader 2.0 support. Believe it or not, not everyone has a graphics card or a computer that meet these requirements. If you think these are low requirements, then I really have nothing more to say to you.

I'm not mad and I'm not trying to make you look stupid, I just want you to understand this... so one day you don't get flamed for posting false information,

I apologize for that comment, that was indeed rude.

TT

okkkkkkkkkkkkk. you dont seem to able to read the context of this sentence;

"Murrine isnt Vista Aero, it dosent need ultra strong hardware."

Im saying that MURRINE dosent require as many resources as Vista Aero.

I know the specifications for Vista, I own a copy...

as for everything else, go look up the difference between software compositing and hardware compositing.

Tipped OuT
June 15th, 2009, 05:59 AM
okkkkkkkkkkkkk. you dont seem to able to read the context of this sentence;

"Murrine isnt Vista Aero, it dosent need ultra strong hardware."

Im saying that MURRINE dosent require as many resources as Vista Aero.

I know the specifications for Vista, I own a copy...

as for everything else, go look up the difference between software compositing and hardware compositing.

Oh, okay, my fault.

And there is no such thing as "hardware and software compositing". It's just compositing. That's it. If your hardware supports it, and the software uses it, then you're good to go.

nolliecrooked
June 15th, 2009, 06:05 AM
Oh, okay, my fault.

And there is no such thing as "hardware and software compositing". It's just compositing. That's it. If your hardware supports it, and the software uses it, then you're good to go.

yea there is. maybe this may help ya.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardware_overlay#Implementations_in_various_operat ing_systems
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardware_overlay#Implementations_in_various_operat ing_systems)

TheNosh
June 15th, 2009, 06:06 AM
Oh, okay, my fault.

maybe he means fake compositing (or whatever its actually called) like SimDock uses?

still wrong though, i believe.

Tipped OuT
June 15th, 2009, 06:18 AM
maybe he means fake compositing (or whatever its actually called) like SimDock uses?

still wrong though, i believe.

Yes, maybe. But if it's fake, then it's not compositing at all.

BackwardsDown
June 15th, 2009, 08:38 AM
Then you have a lot to learn. The Clearlooks theme engine (for example) is a lot less of a load on the graphics card. Also notice, it only has two main colors, a cream color and orange. Less colors, less load on the graphics also. I'm a graphic designer for the PSP's Cross Media Bar, I know these things.
Less color is less load on your graphics card? I don't think that makes sense. Do you have a source on that?

And a graphics designer does not make a computer engineer ;)

People tend to forget that Ubuntu is also made for 3rd world countries (or poor areas) with people that can't afford to buy a new computer, and have the latest hardware.

I don't think the 3rd world is the 1st target of Ubuntu. Ubuntu is supposed to run on some older hardware offcourse, but I think that counts for every country. Ubuntu is not a distro 'for-the-3rd-world' as, for example, the olpc-project.

Tipped OuT
June 15th, 2009, 09:06 AM
Less color is less load on your graphics card? I don't think that makes sense. Do you have a source on that?

And a graphics designer does not make a computer engineer ;)

I don't think the 3rd world is the 1st target of Ubuntu. Ubuntu is supposed to run on some older hardware offcourse, but I think that counts for every country. Ubuntu is not a distro 'for-the-3rd-world' as, for example, the olpc-project.

*sigh* You don't have to be a computer engineer to know this stuff. My source? 5 years of graphic designing and working side by side with actual professionals. When you have less colors, it takes less memory for the graphics card.

Viva
June 15th, 2009, 09:42 AM
What do you mean by less colours? Everything that is displayed on your screen is of some colour, unless you're talking about less number of colours.

Tipped OuT
June 15th, 2009, 09:44 AM
What do you mean by less colours? Everything that is displayed on your screen is of some colour, unless you're talking about less number of colours.

Yes, less number of colors (Not bit depth). You got it, you're right. :)

Johnsie
June 15th, 2009, 12:56 PM
The problem is that even if you have a good theme alot of the software has fugly GUI or doesn't match up. Also, there's not much eye candy because most people who develop for programs for Linux are back-end people and not very artistic. Apple on the other hand create attractive front ends and Microsoft would pay teams of designers to make things look good. It's very hard to find Linux programs that are actually good looking.

Sain
August 8th, 2009, 05:12 PM
I also think that Gnome should have a major redesign. It hasn't changed for years visually, and really looks outdated compared to modern standards. Maybe new default theme would do for now...

On the other hand - Gnome works really well, unlike flashy KDE4...

NightwishFan
August 8th, 2009, 05:18 PM
True. After much review I have decided to continue using GTK and GNOME, as KDE 4 (other than plasma) tends to just cause me a hassle. Especially Kfind, which needs wildcards to work right.

conorsulli
September 15th, 2009, 12:11 PM
As fugly as the crayon colors in XP?

Dust gtk theme is gorgeous I think, so is shift-Linux... I dont know I always rethemed ubuntu and have had comments all the time how sexy my OS is... and Its much easier to theme than any windows OS... well besides those win98 color schemes.... but we're talking about fugliness here so win98 doesnt count (and xp really, it looks like Bill got a bit happy with his crayons that time round.. but you may differ in opinion...)

Granted Ubuntu looks manky at best but most people just change that if eye-candy matters and maybe because its so easy to change they dont really kick up a fuss...

A few themes for your consideration....

http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Candido?content=35812

http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Wasp?content=104167]

and many more on gnome look.....

So to answer your original Q.

People dont bother because they know how easy it is to modify perhaps? Ubuntu will get better the next few releases...I hope.

wersdaluv
September 15th, 2009, 01:23 PM
As fugly as the crayon colors in XP?

Dust gtk theme is gorgeous I think, so is shift-Linux... I dont know I always rethemed ubuntu and have had comments all the time how sexy my OS is... and Its much easier to theme than any windows OS... well besides those win98 color schemes.... but we're talking about fugliness here so win98 doesnt count (and xp really, it looks like Bill got a bit happy with his crayons that time round.. but you may differ in opinion...)

Granted Ubuntu looks manky at best but most people just change that if eye-candy matters and maybe because its so easy to change they dont really kick up a fuss...

A few themes for your consideration....

http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Candido?content=35812

http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Wasp?content=104167]

and many more on gnome look.....

So to answer your original Q.

People dont bother because they know how easy it is to modify perhaps? Ubuntu will get better the next few releases...I hope.
Thanks for reviving the thread

Here's another thread: Want to make GNOME look as modern as Oxygen? Let's do it. Who's with me? (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1264383)

I'm still studying how to code, though. Just wait. hehe