PDA

View Full Version : C to C# Tutorial

Gannon8
June 3rd, 2009, 07:04 PM
Hello all

I have been programming in C for a little bit. I know the language pretty well. I have bought a Windows Mobile cell phone (would get android, but verizon doesn't have any) and want to make programs for it. Unfortunately, I have to do it in C# (or maybe Java, not sure but I don't know Java anyway). Is there any quick C to C# tutorial? I also somewhat know C++ if it helps.

panicy
June 3rd, 2009, 08:49 PM
I dont know if this will help, but alot of mobile apps are written in j2me. Its java based (obviously) so you would have to do a little learning, but its pretty fluid check it out. Google search will give tons of results. Also I think that the sdk is free from sun's site

johnl
June 3rd, 2009, 10:55 PM
The only similarity between C and C# is that they both have a C in the name. ;) It's way closer to Java than to C or C++. You should probably just look for a 'C# Tutorial' and forget about trying to draw parallels to C.

Volt9000
June 4th, 2009, 12:46 AM
johnl is right-- they only thing they share in common is the name.
As someone who has programmed in both C and C# I can tell you they are nothing alike.

C# is an object-oriented language, whereas C is procedural.
C# is byte-code interpreted, whereas C is compiled to native machine code.
C# is very strongly typed and has very strict rules about conversions and whatnot, whereas with C you can perform implicit conversions.

The list goes on and on. Having a knowledge of C and C++ will only help you so far as the syntax goes, otherwise it's a completely different language.