PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Booting ubuntu iso from dvd?

MeGlug
June 3rd, 2009, 04:40 PM
Hi all Ubuntu users :)

I've tried burning the .iso file with Ubuntu on to a DVD-R and tried booting from it. Both times I tried this it semi-crashed my computer, so I guess something is wrong ;)

So how do I make a bootable DVD-R with Ubuntu on?

Regards
MeGlug

zero1one0
June 3rd, 2009, 05:16 PM
i suggest using DVD+R not DVD-R
both ubuntu 8.04 and 9.04 have worked well for me when the iso is burned onto a DVD+R
a DVD+R and DVD-R work differently

MeGlug
June 3rd, 2009, 05:22 PM
The problem is that I only have -R's

Therion
June 3rd, 2009, 05:28 PM
DVD-R's are fine.

More importantly, HOW are you burning your .iso files, meaning what software are you using, what speed are you burning at, etc.? Have you verified the download? Did you do a read-test on the burned media? Lastly, what happens when you try to boot from one your DVD's, your explanation is a little shy on the details.

MeGlug
June 3rd, 2009, 05:43 PM
Burning with Nero, medium speed, did a hash check. No read test.

I tried to boot from the cd-drive but it couldn't boot and just started windows but now windows seems very slow :)

Therion
June 3rd, 2009, 07:07 PM
Burning with Nero, medium speed, did a hash check. No read test.

I tried to boot from the cd-drive but it couldn't boot and just started windows but now windows seems very slow :)
Okay, sounds like there could be a couple things going wrong here.

1. You didn't burn the downloaded .iso file as an IMAGE file. Browse the DVD you burned with Windows Explorer. If there's only ONE file on the DVD (ending with .iso as the extension) you have NOT burned the DVD correctly. You should see several files and a smattering of folders on the final product. I know Nero can do this, just look under Data Burning options, or Image Files or something along those lines.

2. It could be that your PC's BIOS is not setup to boot from the optical drive. Let's assume your problem resides with the media though because I don't want to have to walk you through your BIOS menus and configurations and all that if I don't have to.

Have a poke around in your Nero menus; I'm sure you'll find some options for burning ISO files (Image Files) to bootable disks. I just haven't used Nero in ages so I can't tell you exactly where to look to find what you need.