PDA

View Full Version : Oops... They "forgot" the word "Linux"

Ric_NYC
June 3rd, 2009, 03:45 PM
I've noticed many articles where the author describes a new product and "forgets" to tell the readers that it is Linux based. Isn't it strange?

We all know that Linux runs many "e-readers"... Oopss... The author "forgot" that.

This one by ZDNET

"E-reader devices: The fun
is just starting"
(Many lines... But they will not tell you anything about Linux).

http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=19012

Another one that skips the word "Linux"

"Palm Pre A Star is Born?"
(Would they let you know if this product was based on Windows?)

http://www.reuters.com/article/internetNews/idUSTRE5516I020090602

Let's post articles that omitted the world "Linux".

-grubby
June 3rd, 2009, 03:49 PM
I have a feeling it's not because of some bias, it's because most of their readers don't know what an operating system is.

Ric_NYC
June 3rd, 2009, 03:54 PM
I have a feeling it's not because of some bias, it's because most of their readers don't know what an operating system is.

I believe there is some bias involved.
I don't think the authors would forget the word "Windows" in any circumstance.

billgoldberg
June 3rd, 2009, 04:00 PM

ZDnet is a tech site, their readers know what an OS is.

-grubby
June 3rd, 2009, 04:13 PM
ZDnet is a tech site, their readers know what an OS is.

Oh. I didn't even read the links. I guess he has a point there.

fatality_uk
June 3rd, 2009, 04:30 PM
But these are consumer items, not PC's so I guess from an end-users point of view, for these type of products, they don't care. I know of time-stamping machines, phones, and lots of other items that run on Linux, but the "users" could care less.

Icehuck
June 3rd, 2009, 04:32 PM
I've noticed many articles where the author describes a new product and "forgets" to tell the readers that it is Linux based. Isn't it strange?

We all know that Linux runs many "e-readers"... Oopss... The author "forgot" that.

This one by ZDNET

"E-reader devices: The fun
is just starting"
(Many lines... But they will not tell you anything about Linux).

http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=19012

Another one that skips the word "Linux"

"Palm Pre A Star is Born?"
(Would they let you know if this product was based on Windows?)

http://www.reuters.com/article/internetNews/idUSTRE5516I020090602

I have a feeling it's because quite frankly they don't care that it runs Linux. Heck, I'll be 90% of the people using those products don't care if it runs on Linux and neither do I.

elianthony
June 3rd, 2009, 04:54 PM
Whether bias or not, linux does get left out. There are plenty of little devices that run on Windows, and in the ads, in the articles, and on the products, you see the Windows name. I think marketing, and legal product naming requirements could be involved too, in addition to some bias, perhaps.

And of course this doesn't exist with the products running on linux.

Paqman
June 3rd, 2009, 04:56 PM

I don't. I just think the author assumes (correctly) that very few people care. What embedded OS a device uses is a pretty esoteric piece of information.

Ric_NYC
June 3rd, 2009, 05:43 PM
I don't. I just think the author assumes (correctly) that very few people care. What embedded OS a device uses is a pretty esoteric piece of information.

Not an "esoteric" piece of information for a website that describes itself as "Where Technology Means Business: ZDNet delivers the best tech news, and resources for IT hardware, software, networking and services.", don't you think?

Paqman
June 3rd, 2009, 09:31 PM
Not an "esoteric" piece of information for a website that describes itself as "Where Technology Means Business: ZDNet delivers the best tech news, and resources for IT hardware, software, networking and services.", don't you think?

Well, maybe if it's going to be mentioned anywhere then a super-geeky site is the place. But it's not actually a piece of info that needs to be in the article IMO. If I was reviewing a router or a TV I probably wouldn't blather on about Linux unless it was actually relevant to some feature of the device.

monsterstack
June 3rd, 2009, 09:42 PM
Interesting idea for a thread. How about the inverse? When there is a news article about a Windows-specific problem (such as that recent Conficker stuff) that fails to actually mention that it only affects Microsoft Windows. This one (http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2008/11/army-bans-usb-d/) [wired.com] springs to mind.

MikeTheC
June 3rd, 2009, 11:41 PM
That's still no excuse for not reporting the facts and giving credit where credit was due.

I mean, nobody knew who Chesley Sullenberger III (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chesley_Sullenberger) was before January 15, 2009. Heck, most people probably don't know who he is now. Does that mean the news media shouldn't have bothered to mention him or his role in events? I mean, c'mon...

Reporter 1: Who landed that plane in the Hudson?

Reporter 2: Sully Sullenburger.

Reporter 1: Who?

Reporter 2: Sully Sullen... oh, never mind. We'll just say "the pilot".

Reporter 1: Yeah. Easier to type, and nobody knows who he is, anyhow.

samjh
June 4th, 2009, 01:48 AM

There are plenty of articles about smart phones and PDAs that don't mention Windows despite the fact that those devices run Windows.

It's not bias. It's just irrelevance.

Not mentioning Linux is also a sign of ubiquity, which is perhaps a good thing.

bruce89
June 4th, 2009, 02:36 AM
I suppose technically Linux is only the kernel, and as such, they're kind of right to not bother mentioning it.

Warpnow
June 4th, 2009, 02:38 AM
They don't care that its linux based, and why should they?

Does it mean anything to them?

They only care how the product works. Parts you never see are irrelevent to them.

albinootje
June 4th, 2009, 02:49 AM

Exactly.

Several months ago, I compared prices for netbooks on the websites of a few local computer hardware shops here in Holland.

I was surprised to see that one well-known shop had netbooks for sale without mentioning the name of Linux at all, but was talking about "Asus OS" or "Acer OS" or something along those lines instead. The word Linux was nowhere to be found. Perhaps they were scared that their website would end up in MS-Live-search tagged with "Linux" ? ;-)

lswb
June 4th, 2009, 02:55 AM
Yeah, I don't see "Symbian" mentioned in many cell phone reviews, either.

Giant Speck
June 4th, 2009, 05:40 AM
Interesting idea for a thread. How about the inverse? When there is a news article about a Windows-specific problem (such as that recent Conficker stuff) that fails to actually mention that it only affects Microsoft Windows. This one (http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2008/11/army-bans-usb-d/) [wired.com] springs to mind.

Yeah, but if look look through Wired's website, they have quite a few articles about Linux.

monsterstack
June 4th, 2009, 05:48 AM
Yeah, but if look look through Wired's website, they have quite a few articles about Linux.

Sure, but you wouldn't expect them to write an article about how the Ext filesystem could spell doom for computers everywhere (or whatever) without mentioning that it only affects *nix.

Ac1ds0ld13r
June 4th, 2009, 06:09 AM
Its entirely a legal thing with advertisements and packaging. When they say Windows, they know what lawyer to call and who to talk to and who to write the check out to. With Linux its a little more difficult. With so many distros and everything being open-source... :D

Zing for the for first bean!

SLEEPER_V
June 4th, 2009, 09:13 AM
didnt read the entire thread so if I am restating, sorry...The problem in my eyes is linux is open source and things like Windows Mobile isnt. Smartphone companies have a marketing agreement with MS and use WinMo as a selling feature. There just isnt any marketing strength added for claiming Linux as alot of the older set, 40's above, dont really know what linux is, and dont care, and the younger think of it as a tech geek OS.

mofrikaantje
June 4th, 2009, 09:37 AM
Its entirely a legal thing with advertisements and packaging. When they say Windows, they know what lawyer to call and who to talk to and who to write the check out to. With Linux its a little more difficult. With so many distros and everything being open-source... :D

Zing for the for first bean!

No beans in the community café :D

ad_267
June 4th, 2009, 10:05 AM
Exactly.

Several months ago, I compared prices for netbooks on the websites of a few local computer hardware shops here in Holland.

I was surprised to see that one well-known shop had netbooks for sale without mentioning the name of Linux at all, but was talking about "Asus OS" or "Acer OS" or something along those lines instead. The word Linux was nowhere to be found. Perhaps they were scared that their website would end up in MS-Live-search tagged with "Linux" ? ;-)

I like that a lot more than the shops that advertise the operating system of a netbook as Linux. Linux isn't an operating system, Acer OS is much more accurate.

t0p
June 4th, 2009, 10:30 AM
I like that a lot more than the shops that advertise the operating system of a netbook as Linux. Linux isn't an operating system, Acer OS is much more accurate.

Yeah yeah, Linux is the kernel, blah blah blah. And "Windows" isn't an OS either, is it? It should be "Windows XP" or "Windows Vista" or "Windows 95", right?

Like I said, blah blah blah. When people talk about Windows on a computer, you don't suppose their Dell got new double-glazing fitted. And when people talk about Linux, chances are they are talking about the OS. Heck, this very site uses the word "Linux" to refer to the OS!

Face it: "Linux" may have originally referred only to the kernel; it still does in kernel-related circles; die-hards like rms may insist on the clumsy "GNU/Linux" soubriquet for the operating system; but most people say "Linux" when they are talking about operating systems. That's a fact, no matter what you think is right or wrong.

Giant Speck
June 4th, 2009, 10:36 AM
That's a fact, no matter what you think is right or wrong.

[citation needed]

ad_267
June 4th, 2009, 10:42 AM
I'm not saying Linux can't refer to the operating system, I use Linux to refer to the operating system all the time (or a collective group of operating systems). But on a specific product it would be nice to know which distribution rather than just "Linux".

I think this also gives the wrong impression to customers that when you buy an Eee PC with Linux for example, what you see is all there is to Linux. So a lot of customers don't appreciate the full potential of desktop Linux and the wide range of options available. The difference between different Linux distributions is a lot more than the difference than Vista home basic, Vista professional and whatever else there is, or even Vista and XP.

t0p
June 4th, 2009, 10:51 AM
[citation needed]

I think you're lost mate. This is Ubuntu Forums. Wikipedia is over there ====>

Giant Speck
June 4th, 2009, 10:55 AM
I think you're lost mate. This is Ubuntu Forums. Wikipedia is over there ====>

Oh, sweet. Thanks. I must have taken a wrong turn in Albuquerque and ended up in an alternate reality where opinions are facts and facts are opinions. I really need to stop and ask for directions every now and then. Who knows where else I'll end up? :D

sim-value
June 4th, 2009, 10:59 AM
Yeah, I don't see "Symbian" mentioned in many cell phone reviews, either.

That is in my opinion a big missout (or whatever you call it) cause that is very relevant information .. (to me atleast)

Eisenwinter
June 4th, 2009, 11:12 AM
Why does this concern you?

ukripper
June 4th, 2009, 12:58 PM
WTF, where is the word "LINUX" mentioned in this BBC article - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8082531.stm ?

Quotes:
"The Pre's all-new operating system, called Web OS, is attractive, fluid and exciting. It borrows plenty from the iPhone — pinch or spread two fingers on the screen to zoom in or out, for example, or flick a list item sideways to delete it — but has its own personality."

Giant Speck
June 4th, 2009, 05:32 PM
WTF, where is the word "LINUX" mentioned in this BBC article - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8082531.stm ?

Quotes:
"The Pre's all-new operating system, called Web OS, is attractive, fluid and exciting. It borrows plenty from the iPhone — pinch or spread two fingers on the screen to zoom in or out, for example, or flick a list item sideways to delete it — but has its own personality."

Are you being sarcastic?

texashiker
June 4th, 2009, 08:06 PM

This might be very true, but then again you never know what the people at microsoft have up their sleeves. The microsoft promotion team uses some of the most under handed, predatory means possible to drive out competition.

hyperdude111
June 4th, 2009, 09:41 PM
There are loads of things that are linux based because of its adaptability, but most people just dont care.

Iphone
Ipod touch
Androoid
TomTom satnav
Google Wikipedia and loads of other websites have linux servers

MaxIBoy
June 4th, 2009, 10:16 PM
There are loads of things that are linux based because of its adaptability, but most people just dont care.

Iphone
Ipod touchActually, those run OS X, which is a "certified" UNIX. Linux is just "UNIX-like," because the certification costs an arm and a leg (http://www.opengroup.org/openbrand/Brandfees.htm), plus expenses.

Androoid
TomTom satnav
Google Wikipedia and loads of other websites have linux serversWith these, you have a point. And let's not forget TiVO or microsoft.com.

ukripper
June 5th, 2009, 01:27 PM
Are you being sarcastic?

Yup:D

Swarms
June 5th, 2009, 02:42 PM
And so what, if they did?

ukripper
June 5th, 2009, 03:00 PM
And so what, if they did?

Then all of us on forums get drunk have party all night long!:popcorn:

Statik
June 7th, 2009, 12:56 AM
For my $, I like to know what OS the phone is based on. Many people don't care, much like they don't care what CPU or GPU is in their computer. They only care that when they press the O-N-O-F-F button, what they expect to happen, happens.

I, on the other hand, like to know what my CPU is, or my GPU, and my Cellphone processor, and OS. Why? Because to me, it implies the system's capabilities and limitations. It may even indicate capabilities that might not be obvious on the surface.

For instance, my phone is a Motorola A780-non-GPS. I know it runs linux, and now, because of that knowledge, I have a console, and other programs that it wouldn't be obvious that you can run. I spent quite some time trying to find a relatively open phone.

With the Palm Pre, it wasn't the feature-set that attracted me, there are variations of the same available elsewhere. It was the fact that it was based on linux, which brings with it certain pros and cons. The biggest thing that attracted me to the Pre was the rumour that the entire thing would be open, the entire API and hardware access code. Its not the features that it has that attracts me, but what features people might give it.

For the same reason I like the WII . . . which now runs a media center.

Statik