PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Using package manager

CarlSeiler
June 3rd, 2009, 03:43 PM
This week, after having used several other distributions and having difficulties with ease-of-use issues, I installed Xubuntu on my computer.

I decided that I would like to check out MonoDevelop, so I used the synaptics package manager to install it and all dependencies. It reported that it installed successfully, but now I can't find the software anywhere in the menus. Under Development, only geany appears. Do I have to manually add software to the menus if I want to be able to access them there?

oldos2er
June 3rd, 2009, 08:23 PM
Try typing monodevelop in a terminal.

CarlSeiler
June 4th, 2009, 12:01 AM
Try typing monodevelop in a terminal.
Hmmm.

It says: "The program 'monodevelop' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:..."

So, I guess it was not successful in installing. After some poking around, I find that what I installed with synaptic package manager is something called mono-devel, not monodevelop. I was attracted to mono-devel by the fancy little ubuntu logo next to it in the list. monodevelop package is missing that, and my eye just wasn't drawn to it, and afterwards, I thought I'd installed but hadn't.

Thanks

directhex
June 4th, 2009, 01:58 AM
Hmmm.

It says: "The program 'monodevelop' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:..."

So, I guess it was not successful in installing. After some poking around, I find that what I installed with synaptic package manager is something called mono-devel, not monodevelop. I was attracted to mono-devel by the fancy little ubuntu logo next to it in the list. monodevelop package is missing that, and my eye just wasn't drawn to it, and afterwards, I thought I'd installed but hadn't.

Thanks

The logo basically refers to whose responsibility a package is - it means that Canonical staff will issue security updates for the package, as opposed to community best-effort for logo-free packages. For companies, this is important.

mono-devel is required for compiling Mono-related packages, and since Mono is paer of a default Ubuntu install, it gets a logo. The MonoDevelop IDE is not part of a default anything, and is a community-supported package