PDA

View Full Version : Booting Jaunty disk for install doesn't work

SkeXis
June 3rd, 2009, 01:34 PM
I have a PC I built 4 or 5 years ago (currently running WinXP) that I want to put Jaunty on. I boot from the Jaunty CD, select "Install Ubuntu" from the menu, and just after the loading splash screen I get a garbled screen most of which shows the Windows XP shutting down screen! This is after a proper shutdown of Windows and reboot into the CD. I've tried this with a couple of ISOs burned onto 3 different CDs. Memory tester says ram is okay. Anyone seen this before?

pastalavista
June 3rd, 2009, 01:56 PM
Before installing, you really should "Try without changing system" to see if your system will work. I appears it won't. How much RAM does your system have? Ubuntu runs best with at least 384 MB of memory. You might try Xubuntu as it requires less memory.

SkeXis
June 3rd, 2009, 02:01 PM
Before installing, you really should "Try without changing system" to see if your system will work. I appears it won't. How much RAM does your system have? Ubuntu runs best with at least 384 MB of memory. You might try Xubuntu as it requires less memory.

System has 1G of ram and had Ubuntu on it a couple of years ago. Seems like it SHOULD work.

pastalavista
June 3rd, 2009, 02:08 PM
OK, should work.. you're right. Possibly, your Windows wasn't cleanly shut down and has locked the drive. Try booting XP again and manually shut down every program and even run a scan-disk or defrag.. but be sure it shuts down without issues like hanging programs or updates that need to be finished on reboot.