PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Cross-platform & portable email client?

Elijah
June 3rd, 2009, 01:11 PM
Hi,

I've already tried the portable version of thunderbird, but when I view it on windows the paths are now wrong - I had to re-adjust it to make it viewable. But having too many accounts makes it unusable.

I wanted to be able to use my thumbdrive to take all my downloaded emails and be able to use linux & windows as I work on both platforms and I travel a lot.

Anyone found a solution ?

Thanks for reading,
Elijah

pauna
June 3rd, 2009, 01:52 PM
Zimbra desktop (http://www.zimbra.com/products/desktop.html) is cross-platform and it works by downloading all messages to a local message directory, but I'm not sure if you can put that message store to a separate thumb drive.

Elijah
June 11th, 2009, 01:21 PM
thanks, I'll give it a whirl.

Anyone else to suggest something?

I've tried out java apps and this iscribe thing but never seemed to work for me, I just want to be able to move about both windows and linux while storing all my mails in my usb drive.

aged hippy
June 11th, 2009, 02:03 PM
I've used Thunderbird for several years, and have a separate "Local Folders" on another drive, it can certainly be accessed from XP, Kubuntu and Mepis.

Just create the Local Folders directory where-ever you want it, and then point each instance of Thunderbird to it.

It's simple enough to tell Tbird to create a folder for important stuff, and either copy or move those important bits-and-pieces there before exiting.

Elijah
June 12th, 2009, 02:21 AM
I've used Thunderbird for several years, and have a separate "Local Folders" on another drive, it can certainly be accessed from XP, Kubuntu and Mepis.

Just create the Local Folders directory where-ever you want it, and then point each instance of Thunderbird to it.

It's simple enough to tell Tbird to create a folder for important stuff, and either copy or move those important bits-and-pieces there before exiting.

That should work for few accounts, but I have about 6-8 accounts to manage. So everytime I open up portable thunderbird using the usb drive I had to re-map all the paths.