PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 320gb Hd, 1Tb Hd, Ubuntu, Windows 7 and Data Disk - Best way to partition ?

enfantterrible
June 3rd, 2009, 01:05 PM
Hello everybody

I am about to receive a new system, with no OS installed on it. I currently have XP/ubuntu 9.04 on a 80Gb ext4 Hdd and a shared FAT32 320Gb for data (mp3s, avis etc).

I would like to replicate a similar thing on the new system, but with a few catches.

a) the new system has no OS on it
b) all my data is on the 320Gb drive. I will put it in the computer, boot the first time with the ubuntu live cd and transfer that data to the Terabyte disc (after formatting it FAT32 with g-parted). then install ubuntu 9.04 on the 320 Gb drive (formatted ext4)
c) i want to install windows 7 (because it's free for a month still and i need windows for work) but only AFTER linux is up and running

so, how would the best partition scheme be ? is the one i lay out below reasonable ?

HDD 320 GB
- 100 GB ext4 Ubuntu system (including /home or excluding it?)
- 20 GB swap
- 220 GB NTFS Windows 7
HDD 1 TB
- all FAT32 ?

i was thinking of putting /home somewhere on the 1TB disk, but does it make sense? now i have a mount DATASHARE which is all the FAT32 disk where wins' "my documents" is located.

i know i can experiment, but since i dont like to play with partitions too much i would like to ask your opinions on what is the best way to partition. (and to make win7 work, as i will install in two weeks probably?)

thank you all for your help

smartidiot
June 3rd, 2009, 03:15 PM
I would suggest not using FAT32 formatting on your data drive.

With the driver from http://www.fs-driver.org/ Windows can read Ext2 and Ext3 partitions without any problem.

I would put /home on the larger drive - with only 100G of Space I know I would run out of room on Linux. Of course I do everything in Linux. Just think about how much room you might need.

http://the-smartidiot.blogspot.com/

Mark Phelps
June 3rd, 2009, 10:53 PM
In terms of sharing the 1TB data between Seven and Ubuntu, I would opt for NTFS instead of Ext3. This will present no problems with either OS, since Seven can obviously work with NTFS, and with the ntfs-3g and ntfsprogs packages, Ubuntu can do so as well.

Personally, I'd rather trust the NTFS-3g driver to work with NTFS partitions without problems, than to trust the other driver in Seven to work with ext3 partitions.

But ... it's your call.

merlinus
June 3rd, 2009, 11:09 PM
Can you imagine having to regularly defrag a iT hdd!!! That alone is a reason to use ext3.