PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Computer beeps on shutdown/restart

mbuchoff
June 3rd, 2009, 12:33 PM
Although I have unchecked System->Preferences->Sound->Sounds tab->Play alerts and sound effects as well as the "Play alert sound" checkbox, my computer beeps several times when shutting down or restarting. How can I disable this?

Thanks in advance.

CLomax
June 3rd, 2009, 12:56 PM
Try this: http://www.detector-pro.com/2008/11/how-to-stop-pc-speaker-on-ubuntu.html

:KS

LewRockwell
June 3rd, 2009, 01:45 PM
some computers have a setting in BIOS that turns the beep on and off.

mbuchoff
June 5th, 2009, 06:12 PM
Try this: http://www.detector-pro.com/2008/11/how-to-stop-pc-speaker-on-ubuntu.html

:KS
It worked! Thank you for the quick (and helpful) response.

Tholley
June 5th, 2009, 06:48 PM
I tried both ways and did not work for me.
the first try, going to /etc/modprobe.d, there was several blacklists, did not know which to choose.

second try, sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist gave me a blank doc, I typed in #Stop PC speaker (enter) blacklist pcspkr (enter) and clicked save on the top.

Did nothing... when I shut down, beep-beep. Booted back up... beep.

Celauran
June 5th, 2009, 07:28 PM
I'd go back and check for typos. /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist should be present from the get go, and you'd just add the pcspkr line to the bottom of the file.

Tholley
June 5th, 2009, 09:49 PM
Well on the 2nd try I mentioned above, I cut & pasted directly from the Detector-Pro website.

If I go into the /etc/modprobe.d folder, can u tell me which blacklist i need to add the lines to?

CLomax
June 5th, 2009, 10:01 PM
I just had a look in /etc/modprobe.d/ and it turns out that the file might be blacklist.conf rather than simply blacklist.

Addendum: Confirmed, I added blacklist pcspkr to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf, rebooted and it works.

Tholley
June 5th, 2009, 10:15 PM
Ok thanks! I'll see if that was one of my choices when I get back home.

Celauran
June 5th, 2009, 10:27 PM
I just had a look in /etc/modprobe.d/ and it turns out that the file might be blacklist.conf rather than simply blacklist.

Could be that due to version difference. On 8.04 and 8.10 it's definitely just blacklist.