PDA

View Full Version : What do you like about UBUNTU?

gheorghe_pop
January 19th, 2005, 03:31 PM
I just want to know what do you like about Ubuntu?If you like it of course.
I start first:)
I like Ubuntu because:
It's based on GNOME .
It's stable release planing.
And because i like the community and the name Ubuntu.

tanari
January 19th, 2005, 03:54 PM
The main reason why I like Ubuntu is GNOME. Also I like that it has only 1 CD, apt-get (synaptic) and great community.

Buffalo Soldier
January 19th, 2005, 04:03 PM
- The most important is canonical's philosophy. And the rest in no particular order
- 1 CD
- apt-get / synaptic
- Gnome / Human theme
- the name Ubuntu
- user forum
- works just fine for my hardware

hardcandy
January 19th, 2005, 04:15 PM
It is a nice distro, after you have been around linux for a while, you'll see that there is a sort of "Flavor of the Month" when it comes to distros. Gentoo was the best thing out there for a while according to public opinion, then Fedora Core was until they changed the kernel stacks, Mepis was, Vidalinux, etc, etc, etc.
I do like the idea of involving more of the world's population in the development of the distro.
Specifically the HAL is implemented nicely. .

xsos
January 19th, 2005, 05:03 PM
- cause it is the best distro i ever try :D
- great community
- the name ubuntu

ubuntu_fan
January 19th, 2005, 05:10 PM
1. The packaging of Ubuntu (icons, wallpapers, etc) is very appealing to the average user.
2. Installation of extra software is easy. This is my first use of an apt-get distro and it rocks! Resolution of dependencies in Synaptic couldn't be better.
3. The community - the Ubuntu community seems to be the friendliest support community that I've seen.
4. The fact that you can get fully branded CDs sent to your door! I ordered 10 copies (not ever expecting to see them) and they arrived before Xmas. I have given out and convinced 5 people to try it so far...

Ubuntu rocks!

a.

jdodson
January 19th, 2005, 06:10 PM
well one time i had a fever, and the only prescription was more ubuntu.

machiner
January 19th, 2005, 06:35 PM
..and once, at band camp...

ba hahahahha.

Ubuntu just works....except for with my old soyo board - VIA chipset.

Yukonjack
January 19th, 2005, 06:39 PM
It just plain work, update sources.list install what you want and it still plain work + gnome is great, great community, Ubuntu name and the backport is improuving all the time. I have tried many distro's over the years and the main problem I found is when installing software or upgrades things usually break or you are running old software all the time. Ubuntu works plain and simple. Works for me. 8)

Error1312
January 19th, 2005, 09:07 PM
- GNOME just rocks
- so does apt-get and synaptic
- It easily impresses people ;-)
- It's smooth, rock-solid (except for some little glitches from time to time) and easy to maintain and update.
- Ubuntu is a groovy name

Keep on the good work.

karih
January 19th, 2005, 09:30 PM
I like Ubuntu because
a) It uses Gnome ;)
b) It looks good
c) It's based on Debian and has it's many good qualities
d) It's configured (very) close to what I like

Looking forward to xorg :)

BWF89
January 19th, 2005, 09:39 PM
..and once, at band camp...
Your not the only one who remembered that part :smile: ...

I don't have my own pc yet but when I get one I'll duel boot Linspire with Ubuntu because:
-I like GNOME
-I like the community
-I can show people that a no cost Linux OS runs almost if not better then a commerical one
-It's good to try something different
-To see which one runs faster

ubuntu UsER
January 19th, 2005, 10:21 PM
- Based on Debian packages
- Great Community
- Apt-Get
- Simple
- Stable
- Interesting
- I'm very interested in how further releases will look like :D

PS.

- Ahh and Gnome of course ;)

Lynx
January 19th, 2005, 10:30 PM
Amazing community where developers are involved in every day communication.

Stable, easy install, works perfectly on my Dell Laptop.

Uses Gnome instead of, bloated KDE.

Gives me a basic system that allows me to configure it to my preferences, with my programs and no interference from the OS.

Rule
January 19th, 2005, 10:56 PM
I like ubuntu cause

simple
apt
gnome
easy to install
easy to use
kickass community
debian based
not bloated
and
it just works!!!
http://www3.telus.net/ra11le/smilies/grinning-smiley-003.gif

digital_k
January 19th, 2005, 11:19 PM
Being a relative newbie when it comes to Linux, I like Ubuntu because its not so difficult to get the hang of it right outta the box. You just install it and go. Updates are a breeze and the user interface is one of the best I have ever seen. Its very well thought out and cohesive, it works and it works well.

poofyhairguy
January 20th, 2005, 12:27 AM
Well, this number one reason is the forum. You guys kick ass!

The second reason is that Ubuntu did at first boot what no other OS has done- used the max resolution and refresh rate of my monitor! I can't tell you how long I worked to get that to work in Debian (and it never worked)!

I like the dedication to Gnome (can't wait for Kubuntu though...thats what my girlfriend needs), the daily packages in Hoary (with sid you grow to love that), how things just freaking work, the universe and multiverse (lets not kid...Ubuntu without the universe would suck), and the sounds it makes when Gnome starts.

I dislike....well...almost nothing. Hell..Ubuntu even autoconfigs a wireless network like nobody's business.

I yeah, I dislike how they put the foot on the Gnome menu, instead of an Ubuntu icon! This is Fedora's coolest idea (I don't know what se linux is), Ubuntu should officially steal it!

Randabis
January 20th, 2005, 04:23 AM
I like ubuntu cause

simple
apt
gnome
easy to install
easy to use
kickass community
debian based
not bloated
and
it just works!!!
http://www3.telus.net/ra11le/smilies/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Took the words right out of my mouth.

TravisNewman
January 20th, 2005, 04:28 AM
I got a fevah! And the only prescription... is more COWBELL!

One of my favorite SNL skits of all time.

I dig the one cd, how lightweight it is. It's the first cd based distro that I've used that didn't feel bloated (the only other I've used that didn't feel bloated was gentoo, but since you compile onlyu what you want, it can't really be bloated unless you make it that way)

The community rocks, not just because ubuntu-geek will punish us mods if we don't say that, but seriously, almost all my problems are answered here. It's just a vey friendly and helpful community.

I love apt-get/dpkg. It's very sweet. I don't know how I lived without it (though portage is pretty sweet)

Obviously the philosophy.

... the list goes on...

jakeslife
January 20th, 2005, 06:19 AM
Above all I dig the Ubuntu community.

I also dig the fact that it's Gnome based. A lot of distros are defaulting to KDE because of it being pretty, hence more of a reason for people to switch from other OS's.

I also liked the hardware support, and the fact that I had to do very little configuration after installation to get running.

Oh yeah, and apt-get.

Lovechild
January 20th, 2005, 06:38 AM
In order of importance

1. Strong commitment to GNOME
2. Commitment to Mono (jdub says Grumpy is likely to carry Mono and friends)
3. Strong community ties
4. Universe
5. Understanding that they have to cater to the translators (I love Rosetta, I just wish it had a good "team mode")

Aside that I'm glad I can get Bluecurve running on my desktop without much fuss.

I have high hopes that Ubuntu will become the single best distro (it's still not there from a translators pov and some UI polish is missing as well)

LongTooth
January 20th, 2005, 07:56 AM
Having used Linux for several years and putting up with much gnashing of teeth, I found Ubuntu:

Lightweight (translation: no bloat) I really don't need 4 editors
Good hardware recognition
One CD
Debian based. (Apt-get/Synaptic) Although RPM distros have YUM.
Great Community!
Gnome. Been a Gnomer for years.
Easy to tailor/tweak to my own needs.
And last but not least: Great Community!

And think about this: This is the first release. Wow!

zorba64
January 20th, 2005, 09:36 AM
Debian Based.
apt/dpkg
one cd and a live cd
Commercial Backing
Cool name "Ubuntu"

mike998
January 21st, 2005, 06:26 PM
UPs
1 CD
Debian based - APT makes installation of extra programs easy
Great community (here and on IRC)

DOWNs
Human Theme is too brown

Ubuntu is the first distro that I have stuck with for more than a month. Nice work!

JeffS
January 21st, 2005, 06:53 PM
1. Great Gnome support. I've grown to like Gnome much better than KDE, and Ubuntu is easily the best distro out there for featuring Gnome in all it's glory. Red Hat, Mandrake, Libranet, and pure Debian do a good job of featuring Gnome, but none as good as Ubuntu. All other distros either ignore Gnome or treat it like a bastard stepchild.

2. Based on the very stable and well integrated Debian.

3. apt-get/Synaptic, and well configured Ubuntu repositories, and easy access to restricted and universe.

4. It's fast. The combo of the 2.6.8 kernel and Gnome 2.8 and obvious top-notch optimization makes the distro lightning quick.

5. The name "Ubuntu" is original and distinctinve, and has a nice meaning - "hummanity to others".

6. Default "Human" (brown) theme, even though I use the Glider theme, is original and nice looking.

7. Very good hardware detection and autoconfiguration, although a few other distros do a bit better. However, Ubuntu has only one full official release and is already mature and solid.

8. Easy installer.

9. Good live CD.

10. Remains completely free, and the Canonical business model is based on services and support for businesses using Ubuntu.

11. Great community.

eklim
January 23rd, 2005, 04:18 PM
it's linux
its "humanity towards others"
:D

ubuntu UsER
January 23rd, 2005, 04:25 PM
- Based on Debian packages
- Great Community
- Apt-Get
- Simple
- Stable
- Interesting
- I'm very interested in how further releases will look like :D

PS.

- Ahh and Gnome of course ;)

PS.2.

I just upgraded to unstable Hoary...And everything works :shock:

:D

rubycon
January 23rd, 2005, 09:55 PM
For me it was an easy choise. First off it's by far the best desktop OS i've ever used. And if that wasn't enought it got the best community out there too, a community which really holds on to the meaning of the word ubuntu.

martijntje
January 23rd, 2005, 10:11 PM
lol, reading poofyhairguy post about the foot, i remembered this old site: www.mslinux.org

MS Linux to have Start Button
Microsoft is working to incorporate the well known "Start" button from the Windows Platform into X Windows' Gnome interface. "We just can't figure out how the hell to get that darn foot out of there! The damn thing is like stuck." The team will have this feature ready by product launch.

Anyways, what i like about ubuntu is:
- GNOME. Gotta like the simplicity.
- It's about the only distribution that 'just works' on a 64 bit platform, thus, it is easily the best
- Synaptic. Even my dog could install programs now :P
- Haven't been able to crash it yet, and that's one thing i'm very good at.

lee_connell
January 24th, 2005, 02:58 AM
The main reason why I like Ubuntu is GNOME. Also I like that it has only 1 CD, apt-get (synaptic) and great community.

i second that statement.

buldir
January 25th, 2005, 11:47 AM
I am now a converted Ubuntu user. I used Redhat 8/9, Fedora Core 1/2, then Mandrake, then Fedora Core 3, back to Mandrake, then Suse, and now Ubuntu. Do you see a pattern? I do...all the other distros are RPM-based. I was tired of various packages breaking after a kernel upgrade or multi-package update...even with apt4rpm. Ubuntu is the first Debian-based distro I have tried on my desktop. I am hopeful that my stability issues will melt away!

ctt1wbw
January 25th, 2005, 12:35 PM

Exactly. Plus it installed my wireless drivers for at during installation. Oh, and that apt-get command. Sweet!

N3m0
January 25th, 2005, 04:41 PM
I'm the perfect n00b :D
i like ububtu because it's sooo user-friendly :)

ctt1wbw
January 25th, 2005, 04:48 PM
Ahhh, Napoli. I'd LOVE to go back there. Beautiful city, great people, and AWESOME food. :grin: