PDA

View Full Version : opera 10 Beta

imlinux
June 3rd, 2009, 10:42 AM
has anyone tried opera 10 beta (http://www.opera.com/browser/next/) its really very fast even without tweaking unlike in firefox.

Pasdar
June 3rd, 2009, 10:55 AM
Installed it now. Going to give it a try for some time, see if it's better than Firefox.

kutchbhi
June 3rd, 2009, 11:06 AM
even without tweaking unlike in firefox.THe tweaking you are referring to is enabling pipeling , which Opera enables by default. Not only that, Opera uses heuristics to determine which websties actually require pipeling. Because having pipeling enabled on every site can actually slow you down

Besides now with Opera turbo, pages and iamges are compressed, which obviously beats everything. But its good for only 128kbps/64 kbps users

imlinux
June 3rd, 2009, 11:11 AM
THe tweaking you are referring to is enabling pipeling , which Opera enables by default. Not only that, Opera uses heuristics to determine which websties actually require pipeling. so why doesn't firefox do it by default.

papangul
June 3rd, 2009, 11:48 AM
Thanks for posting the link. Just yesterday I had removed the opera 10 alpha because of stability issues. The beta seems to be comparable with chrome in respect of speed, the interface is also cool.

Pasdar
June 3rd, 2009, 12:12 PM
It's much faster than Firefox alright. I've replaced my firefox icon in panel with Opera for now. going to test it until I feel confident in removing firefox.

Chianti
June 3rd, 2009, 12:17 PM
I'm trying it right now and it seems pretty solid. New interface looks cool and new functions are very interesting. No major problems until now.

mofrikaantje
June 3rd, 2009, 12:18 PM
I've got to admit: it's faster than Firefox. Maybe it's because I've got like 10 add-ons in Firefox, but this feels fast. However, it isn't FOSS, so I'll wait for a faster Firefox :)

iTrickU
June 3rd, 2009, 12:29 PM
Interesting, the new skin is much nicer but i don't like the inactive tab appearance, it just doesn't fit in. I remember using in-line spell checking in earlier versions not sure why that is mentioned as a new feature. All in all its amazingly fast and probably the fastest linux browser. :KS

This version also sometimes crashes on bing's video search

Eclipse.
June 3rd, 2009, 12:50 PM
Its going to be a really close fight between Firefox 3.5, Safari 4, Opera 10 and Chrom(e/ium) 3.:D

Pasdar
June 3rd, 2009, 01:31 PM
What's I'm missing is something like Add block Plus, right click on something and block while allowing you to edit the blocked URL.

cc8balla
June 3rd, 2009, 01:42 PM
It IS fast, but my Firefox is just the way I like it, in terms of usability and convenience. I can wait the extra few milliseconds, kthx.

koshatnik
June 3rd, 2009, 01:46 PM
I've got to admit: it's faster than Firefox. Maybe it's because I've got like 10 add-ons in Firefox, but this feels fast. However, it isn't FOSS, so I'll wait for a faster Firefox :)

It's always been faster the Firefox. Firefox is a bloated dog.

imlinux
June 3rd, 2009, 01:47 PM
What's I'm missing is something like Add block Plus, right click on something and block while allowing you to edit the blocked URL.

there is already a content blocker by default in opera,just right click on any object and block it,to block ads you can download ad block list from here (http://www.fanboy.co.nz/adblock/opera/),and put that file in ".opera" in home directory.

Wiebelhaus
June 3rd, 2009, 01:51 PM
has anyone tried opera 10 beta (http://www.opera.com/browser/next/) its really very fast even without tweaking unlike in firefox.

Thanks for the heads up! Good looking out mate.

Pasdar
June 3rd, 2009, 01:53 PM
I know about the content blocker. But it's not as good as Add block Plus in firefox.

The content blocker works by right clicking on the page and then Content block and then shift click anything you want blocked. My problem with that is that you can't select what exactly you want blocked. For example, many times I want to block an iframe which always shows banner from different sites.

On firefox I would just right click on the banner and click, block frame, i'd then add a few '*'s to that and i'd never see it on any site again.

With Opera you block a banner, next you refresh the page and you have a new banner to block. Blocking a whole range of banners from a particular site is also too much of an problem each time... having to manually add everything.

Also I don't like block lists... I never use that in firefox either... I want to decide myself what I want to block.

Pasdar
June 3rd, 2009, 01:53 PM
By the way, how do I remove the logo from my system tray?

koleoptero
June 3rd, 2009, 01:56 PM
I'm surprised they didn't move on to qt4 with this version. Oh well, you can't have everything new I guess.

imlinux
June 3rd, 2009, 02:02 PM
By the way, how do I remove the logo from my system tray?

i have no idea about it, maybe someone else can help.:)

Pasdar
June 3rd, 2009, 02:09 PM
i have no idea about it, maybe someone else can help.:)

I found out, right click on your icon and edit menu, under command you have

opera %u

change that to:

opera %u --notrayicon

imlinux
June 3rd, 2009, 02:18 PM
thats beautiful

gormac
June 3rd, 2009, 02:18 PM
I'm surprised they didn't move on to qt4 with this version. Oh well, you can't have everything new I guess.
There are qt4 versions of the beta available from their ftp server:
ftp://ftp.opera.com/pub/opera/linux/1000b1/beta1/en/i386/ (for i386)

koleoptero
June 3rd, 2009, 02:20 PM
There are qt4 versions of the beta available from their ftp server:
ftp://ftp.opera.com/pub/opera/linux/1000b1/beta1/en/i386/ (for i386)

Thanks, didn't look that deep :) I'll wait for a final version though, I'm tired of bugs. :P

Warpnow
June 3rd, 2009, 02:59 PM
This skin kicks the *** of the old one. The other one was so obviously designed for vista it looked terrible otherwise.

I still used the old old skin, from three or four releases back, until this release.

I <3 Opera.

SomeGuyDude
June 3rd, 2009, 03:32 PM
It's always been faster the Firefox. Firefox is a bloated dog.

That's because Firefox has a lot of "features".

Opera is ugly as sin and can't do anything like Extensions. The "widgets" thing is just pathetic. If you want an ultrafast browser, use Midori.

Skripka
June 3rd, 2009, 05:08 PM
That's because Firefox has a lot of "features".

Opera is ugly as sin and can't do anything like Extensions

That would be because roughly 100 or so extensions to Firefox are needed to make it able to do most of the handy things Opera does OOTB.

Opera also looks far better than Firefox under Qt environs.

hyperdude111
June 3rd, 2009, 06:47 PM
I have opera in gtk and it looks nice, I like it. However it wont replace firefox because ATM operas widget cause at to crash, I also prefer the style of a firefox addon to an opera widget.

Pogeymanz
June 3rd, 2009, 07:44 PM
I know about the content blocker. But it's not as good as Add block Plus in firefox.

The content blocker works by right clicking on the page and then Content block and then shift click anything you want blocked. My problem with that is that you can't select what exactly you want blocked. For example, many times I want to block an iframe which always shows banner from different sites.

On firefox I would just right click on the banner and click, block frame, i'd then add a few '*'s to that and i'd never see it on any site again.

With Opera you block a banner, next you refresh the page and you have a new banner to block. Blocking a whole range of banners from a particular site is also too much of an problem each time... having to manually add everything.

Also I don't like block lists... I never use that in firefox either... I want to decide myself what I want to block.

There is a user javascript that I use called "BlockIt", that is kind of like NoScript+AdBlock. Admittedly, it's not as convenient as those tools, but it works well and can also block animated images, frames, etc. You can also easily edit is default behavior. Do a google search for it, you may like it.

Quake
June 5th, 2009, 08:45 PM
You can also use adsweep to block ads. Since it's a script, you can basically use it with any browser: Opera, Firefox, Midori...

http://www.adsweep.org/

khelben1979
June 5th, 2009, 09:56 PM
Haven't tried it yet. I'm not sure it's available for the ppc linux platform. For now I'm sticking with my Opera 9.64.

Firefox don't work on ppc linux for me, so I really got no choice over here, but there's nothing seriously wrong with Opera other than that I'll have to choose open up links in tabs instead of just clicking on links at certain places, otherwise it just won't load the page. 8-(

Kingsley
June 5th, 2009, 10:16 PM
I've been messing around with snapshot builds of Opera for the past couple of months. I find it stupid that they still don't provide qt4 builds for 64-bit Linux.

meho_r
June 11th, 2009, 03:14 PM
Installed it and like it. Although, I can't get flash to work correctly :( I hear the sound but no picture, just empty frame (e.g. Youtube). Any ideas? It's jaunty 64bit with flash 10 installed.

SunnyRabbiera
June 11th, 2009, 04:41 PM
That would be because roughly 100 or so extensions to Firefox are needed to make it able to do most of the handy things Opera does OOTB.

Opera also looks far better than Firefox under Qt environs.

Yes but Firefox is much more customizable, and Opera being QT really makes it stick out like a sore thumb sometimes.

swoll1980
June 11th, 2009, 04:56 PM
I was impressed with it at first. I notice the longer I use it now, many sites I visit don't function correctly. Hopefully they get this fixed.

TheNosh
June 14th, 2009, 04:04 AM
i'm using it now, but websites like hulu and veoh won't work and cause it to crash while youtube works perfectly (hulu and veoh worked in the older opera)

does anyone know of this problem and possibly a fix for it?

JordyD
June 14th, 2009, 04:33 AM
However, it isn't FOSS, so I'll wait for a faster Firefox :)

I wonder why they would close the source to an application that their not selling...

meborc
June 16th, 2009, 10:45 PM
hehe, the latest opera hits 100/100 in acid test 3 :D

nice...

the peacekeeper test was not so good, though :(

Skripka
June 16th, 2009, 10:47 PM
hehe, the latest opera hits 100/100 in acid test 3 :D

nice...

the peacekeeper test was not so good, though :(

That's a problem with their Linux build.

Their Win O10 build flies through Peacekeeper.