PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Kill command in bash script

sohaikia1
June 3rd, 2009, 07:57 AM
Hi,

I wrote a bash script that compiles a C source code and then kills any existing running process with same name as the executable, then executes the newly compiled file. Problem is the script stops running the next line after the 'kill' line. Can anyone tell me whether whats the cause of this problem?

#!/bin/bash
gcc tiny.c /usr/local/lib/libfcgi.a -o tiny
psid_to_delete=$(ps -A|awk '/tiny/ {print $1}')
kill -9 $psid_to_delete
spawn-fcgi -a 127.0.0.1 -p 1026 -f ./tiny

Mornedhel
June 3rd, 2009, 09:02 AM
Your awk command returns pids for all processes matching /tiny/, including for instance "thistiny" and "tinythat". If your shell script has tiny in the name, it may commit suicide if it's the only such process ; otherwise you get a list of newline-separated pids in $psid_to_delete. Try / tiny$/.

sohaikia1
June 3rd, 2009, 09:12 AM
Your awk command returns pids for all processes matching /tiny/, including for instance "thistiny" and "tinythat". If your shell script has tiny in the name, it may commit suicide if it's the only such process ; otherwise you get a list of newline-separated pids in $psid_to_delete. Try / tiny$/.

Thanks Mornedhel! I understand now, its because I named the script as tiny_script.sh, the kill command might have killed the shell script all the while.