PDA

View Full Version : FreeBSD firewall

Zelut
January 15th, 2006, 06:16 PM
I know this isn't technically Ubuntu related but since this is the most active, most useful forum anywhere on the internet I only post here.

I was thinking about setting up a firewall (just to learn more about IP tables, security, etc). From what I've read BSD is considered very secure so I thought I would try that.

Can anyone give me any info on this? Past experience?

Cheers.

BSDFreak
January 15th, 2006, 06:28 PM
I know this isn't technically Ubuntu related but since this is the most active, most useful forum anywhere on the internet I only post here.

I was thinking about setting up a firewall (just to learn more about IP tables, security, etc). From what I've read BSD is considered very secure so I thought I would try that.

Can anyone give me any info on this? Past experience?

Cheers.

You won't learn IP Tables from FreeBSD. You have three firewalls to choose from in FreeBSD, it's IPFW, IPFilter and PF. I prefer PF.

After having set up any of them you'll still not know much about setting up a firewall in Linux.

If you are interested in learning how to set up a firewall in Linux (IP Tables) then use Linux for it instead. Want to make it really easy, install firestarter and then look at the config it created.

If you want the most secure system, set up an OpenBSD box and learn to use PF and you'll have an extremely secure box, quite possibly THE most secure box you can have.

Zelut
January 15th, 2006, 06:30 PM
Ok. I suppose IP tables isn't the best route for full security.. OpenBSD you say? I'll check it out.

note: I am not tempted to move away from ubuntu, just wanting to learn something new on one of my extra machines.

BSDFreak
January 15th, 2006, 06:35 PM
Ok. I suppose IP tables isn't the best route for full security.. OpenBSD you say? I'll check it out.

note: I am not tempted to move away from ubuntu, just wanting to learn something new on one of my extra machines.

http://www.openbsd.org/

If you have any questions or problems, feel free to PM me, i'll help you out. :)

curuxz
January 15th, 2006, 07:16 PM
like the new avatar bsd ;)

I to am trying to expand my horizens with bsd systems. Is it good for development web servers, if its fast ?

xequence
January 15th, 2006, 07:57 PM
Isnt the only reason OpenBSD is so secure is the fact everything is turned off by default, and when you accually do things it gets unsecure?

majikstreet
January 15th, 2006, 08:12 PM
learn the freebsd firewall: http://www.ipfwrocks.org/

mips
January 15th, 2006, 08:23 PM
Isnt the only reason OpenBSD is so secure is the fact everything is turned off by default, and when you accually do things it gets unsecure ?

Yes but it is also very stable. As far as I can tell it is regarded as the most secure/stable free OS out there.

Something i'm gonna try in the future.

lotusleaf
January 15th, 2006, 08:53 PM
Isnt the only reason OpenBSD is so secure is the fact everything is turned off by default, and when you accually do things it gets unsecure?

Just take a look at the history and development info about OpenBSD, it's quite informative. :)

mgor
January 15th, 2006, 11:18 PM

and that's why apache, bind etc. is runned in a chroot by default.

there no way one can't love PF :)