PDA

View Full Version : Linux blank stare

stuart.reinke
June 3rd, 2009, 02:15 AM
Most people I deal with have at least heard of Linux(even if they really have no idea what it does or what to do with it, the name is familiar).

Some times however, when I mention that I run Linux, I get this deer-in-the-headlight look. The person has no clue what I'm talking about.

Usually I just move on, hoping that a spark has been struck and a google search will be done sometime later.

I'm just curious, has anyone else experienced the "Linux blank stare" and how do you react?

Jestersage
June 3rd, 2009, 02:18 AM
Most people I deal with have at least heard of Linux(even if they really have no idea what it does or what to do with it, the name is familiar).

Some times however, when I mention that I run Linux, I get this deer-in-the-headlight look. The person has no clue what I'm talking about.

Usually I just move on, hoping that a spark has been struck and a google search will be done sometime later.

I'm just curious, has anyone else experienced the "Linux blank stare" and how do you react?

Considering the knowledge and stuff I BS, no one bother with wikipedia or Google (and said guy is in CS classes with me for last 4 years -_-)

And I expect theLinux blank stare. I suddenly become likea politician/priest/quake doctor and promote Linux as this special thing OS where theycan do many thing that even freewares can't do. (I am CS/Poli-Sci dual major)

monsterstack
June 3rd, 2009, 02:24 AM
I get this a lot. There are three things you need to explain:

That there is a difference between hardware and software;
that there is an operating system of software which interacts with the hardware, upon which other software works;
that Microsoft Windows is an operating system, and that there are others.

Everybody has heard of Windows. Just tell them that Linux is an alternative to it.

BuffaloX
June 3rd, 2009, 02:32 AM
I called City Hall because I needed some drawings regarding the house I live in.
I talked to a guy who was very friendly, and offered to email them to me.
Since I sometimes read about public institutions considering Linux, I was curious, so I asked if they used Linux?

-No we use PDF.

I just said OK that's good too...

I really don't see a reason to try to explain something that obviously is of little interest to him. It would be a waste of both his and my time.

kk0sse54
June 3rd, 2009, 02:34 AM
I never talk about linux to other people in real life

Keithhed
June 3rd, 2009, 02:37 AM

+1 conversation killer for me too. people that have heard of it are somewhat informed of it. those that are clueless couldn't care less.

Sealbhach
June 3rd, 2009, 02:41 AM
I was curious, so I asked if they used Linux?

-No we use PDF.

I just said OK that's good too...

:D

That's very funny and I agree, it's best not to get into it with people who don't really know.

Hyper Tails
June 3rd, 2009, 02:44 AM
I talk about Linux when i'm talking about computers to a friend or family member

dspari1
June 3rd, 2009, 02:48 AM
I only talk about Linux when people are freaking out about computer viruses. :popcorn:

Mr. Picklesworth
June 3rd, 2009, 02:54 AM
+1 conversation killer for me too. people that have heard of it are somewhat informed of it. those that are clueless couldn't care less.

THANK YOU, Keithhed. Thank you for applying that expression correctly! I was raising the hand for my 50th facepalm in a row upon thinking I read "could care less" and then I realized you had actually done it right.
You're my hero :)

Onto the real topic, I do try to explain it really quickly and if they continue to give me the blank, hopeless stare of doom I bite my tongue and say "Linux is like Mac for my PC." Unfortunately, people tend to at least understand that, however horrible it sounds. I can then move on to other topics, free from the pain of explaining technology to the luddites.

lovinglinux
June 3rd, 2009, 02:59 AM
Talking about Linux is really funny when you are on a completely boring social event, talking to completely boring people, that you couldn't care less. I know they haven't a clue what I'm talking about, but I continue with the blah, blah, blah. It's funny because due to social conventions, nobody says "Stop, what the frak are you talking about? Let's change the subject and talk about footbal". So they pretend they are paying attention and to understand the subject, they move their heads up and down from time to time to convey the idea of agreement, then they suddenly disappear one by one, until you are left alone with your beer, which is all you wanted in the first place.

monsterstack
June 3rd, 2009, 03:01 AM

It's not always avoidable. Especially when people ask you about how you do activity x or y. Case in point, I recently used metapixel to make a huge photomontage for my girlfriend's birthday. I had it printed on to canvass. Everyone who saw it asked how I did it. I told them I used a programme to do it. For many, the very next question was, "Oh, where can I get that then?"

I've also used a live-cd to recover data from friends' botched Windows partitions. I am often asked how they can do it themselves. A conversation about Linux is only seconds away.

monsterstack
June 3rd, 2009, 03:07 AM
Talking about Linux is really funny when you are on a completely boring social event, talking to completely boring people, that you couldn't care less. I know they haven't a clue what I'm talking about, but I continue with the blah, blah, blah. It's funny because due to social conventions, nobody says "Stop, what the frak are you talking about? Let's change the subject and talk about footbal". So they pretend they are paying attention and to understand the subject, they move their heads up and down from time to time to convey the idea of agreement, then they suddenly disappear one by one, until you are left alone with your beer, which is all you wanted in the first place.

Haha. Curmudgeonly Linux users are thin on the ground around these forums. What a relief to see one in action. You win all of my internets.

clonne4crw
June 3rd, 2009, 03:35 AM
Yes, but in many cases they then ask "Why not use Ubuntu instead? I heard its better".

3rdalbum
June 3rd, 2009, 03:45 AM
I often get asked to fix people's Windows problems, and I don't use Windows. So I have to explain my lack of Windows proficiency :-)

I once mentioned to somebody that I didn't use Windows, and they said "Oh, do you use Vista instead?"

HappyFeet
June 3rd, 2009, 04:03 AM
If I get the blank stare, I just change the course of the conversation to something more familiar. I can tell if someone is interested in it or not. I don't push it. Those people wouldn't make good linux users anyway. For that matter, they don't make good windows users either. Oh well.

HappyFeet
June 3rd, 2009, 04:04 AM
I once mentioned to somebody that I didn't use Windows, and they said "Oh, do you use Vista instead?"

THAT is funny!

barbedsaber
June 3rd, 2009, 09:36 AM
All my friends know that I use linux, they really don't want to though.
I just laugh at them when

They are booting their laptops, and I am almost finished
Their laptops crash
They are late to the next class, because they were waiting for their laptops to shut down
They have to stop what they are doing, to deal with a virus
They get random errors
etc

hehe, I have offered to help them, but they insist on letting me watch their suffering. :D

Swagman
June 3rd, 2009, 09:49 AM
I wear my Ubuntu baseball cap. People either hold up a crucifix or say things like "I've heard of that, it's like Internet Explorer that doesn't get viruses", to which I reply "You're on the right track" and leave it up to them to enquire more.

WatchingThePain
June 3rd, 2009, 10:02 AM
You should see the stare they get for mentioning Windows.

rookcifer
June 3rd, 2009, 10:05 AM

The first rule of Linux is don't talk about Linux. :p

evermooingcow
June 3rd, 2009, 10:09 AM
I don't really talk about Linux unless the conversation topic happens to shift in that direction.

My friends don't use Linux either. They are the type to only care about application support.

HappyFeet
June 3rd, 2009, 06:16 PM
They are the type to only care about application support.
Me too. That's why I use linux.