PDA

View Full Version : WirelessMedia.com, or how to steal a logo

m-p{3}
June 3rd, 2009, 12:57 AM
Looks like somebody from reddit (http://www.reddit.com/tb/8p8jy) just found a company website who use the Ubuntu logo without any credits, and on top of it doesn't allow the use of "their" work without consent.

http://www.wirelessmedia.com/_borders/images/v6/logobar.gif

I'm sure Microsoft would not be very happy if another company used their Windows logo with a different color scheme.

Firestem4
June 3rd, 2009, 01:49 AM
Thats gotta be the 4th company logo ive seen posted on this forum that looks exactly like the Ubuntu logo..Wth?

hanzomon4
June 3rd, 2009, 02:25 AM
I'm starting to wonder if the Ubuntu logo is original. I hope it's not like some stock design

red_Marvin
June 3rd, 2009, 03:18 AM
Where is this logo? If you mean the orange/gray arrow thingy then I don't agree at all. They are totally different. You can't jump on every company basing their logo around circular symmetry.
EDIT, Apparently they changed the logo between the previous post and mine, so we commented on different logos. Good that it has been resolved.

0per4t0r
June 3rd, 2009, 03:24 AM
Where is this logo? If you mean the orange/gray arrow thingy then I don't agree at all. They are totally different. You can't jump on every company basing their logo around circular symmetry.
Yeah, I don't think it looks that much like the ubuntu logo either.

PrimoTurbo
June 3rd, 2009, 03:33 AM
That's hilarious they changed the logo, I saw it earlier and it was a complete rip of Ubuntu with different colors.

burvowski
June 3rd, 2009, 03:34 AM

they changed it. it *was* the ubuntu logo, originally

PrimoTurbo
June 3rd, 2009, 03:38 AM
Original logo looked like this, sorry for size I don't have a copy but they still have it as the favicon.

http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/5025/97973321.jpg

I first saw it posted on reddit, someone must have emailed them they got scared and quickly changed it.

Sinkingships7
June 3rd, 2009, 04:04 AM

Exactly my thoughts. That logo is NOTHING like the Ubuntu logo.

Sinkingships7
June 3rd, 2009, 04:05 AM
Original logo looked like this, sorry for size I don't have a copy but they still have it as the favicon.

http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/5025/97973321.jpg

I first saw it posted on reddit, someone must have emailed them they got scared and quickly changed it.

Read further, saw this, and NOW I agree. Well, at least it was resolved.

CharmyBee
June 3rd, 2009, 04:09 AM
fastest logo issue solved ever.

Tipped OuT
June 3rd, 2009, 04:15 AM

Yeah they changed it quick, other wise big bad Canonical would of eaten them alive! :twisted:

MikeTheC
June 3rd, 2009, 05:24 AM
Nice.

Good catch.

swoll1980
June 3rd, 2009, 05:29 AM
Maybe they thought no one would notice.

"What the hell is you-bun-two? We'll just steal their logo, I'm sure no one will notice."

Giant Speck
June 3rd, 2009, 05:49 AM
I wonder whose logo they stole after Ubuntu's? :p

don_quixote
June 3rd, 2009, 07:18 AM

Yeah, I agree. That was fast. Somehow I doubt they just designed the new logo on the spot, though. Maybe though.

In any case, here's (apparently) a reply from the CEO:

---

Dear All.
My name is Richard and I'm the CEO of WirelessMedia. Having received a few emails concerning the logo 'similarity', I would like to address this forum and apologize.
Some years ago, we commissioned a logo designer to design a logo for us. Non of us being linux users we never noticed that the logo is a blatant rip-off until now.
For what is not the norm in corporate culture land; I admit that we have been duped and that the logo is an exact match for Ubuntu's, I would like to apologize to all of you and want to assure you no malice, misuse, mal-intent nor rip-off was meant. Had we known the logos were the same, then we certainly would not have used it.
Thanks all for bring this to our intention, if Canonical contacts us, we'll be happy to work with them to pursue the designer.
Richard de Courtney Wireless Media, Inc.

---

And attached is the original logo.

mofrikaantje
June 3rd, 2009, 08:29 AM
Yeah, I agree. That was fast. Somehow I doubt they just designed the new logo on the spot, though. Maybe though.

In any case, here's (apparently) a reply from the CEO:

---

Dear All.
My name is Richard and I'm the CEO of WirelessMedia. Having received a few emails concerning the logo 'similarity', I would like to address this forum and apologize.
Some years ago, we commissioned a logo designer to design a logo for us. Non of us being linux users we never noticed that the logo is a blatant rip-off until now.
For what is not the norm in corporate culture land; I admit that we have been duped and that the logo is an exact match for Ubuntu's, I would like to apologize to all of you and want to assure you no malice, misuse, mal-intent nor rip-off was meant. Had we known the logos were the same, then we certainly would not have used it.
Thanks all for bring this to our intention, if Canonical contacts us, we'll be happy to work with them to pursue the designer.
Richard de Courtney Wireless Media, Inc.

---

And attached is the original logo.

Well, THAT certainly was a rip-off!

fatality_uk
June 3rd, 2009, 09:41 AM
At first, I thought the OP had posted one of those stereophonic images (3D) that you have to turn your head and squint a lot to see, but now I remember that company.

It that's a genuine reply from their CEO, seems like a straight response.