PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Vista partitioned

sully.thekid
June 2nd, 2009, 11:56 PM
So I have Vista on my computer right now, and when I put the OS onto the HD I partitioned it, hoping that I would be able to put another OS on later. Now I'm trying to put Ubuntu on, and it only says that it will get rid of everything, not a choice to put it onto the empty half of my HD. Is there any way that I will be able to do this other than deleting everything I own?:(

presence1960
June 3rd, 2009, 12:08 AM
Boot from the Ubuntu Live CD and when you get to the partitioner screen with the title "Prepare disk space" choose the "manual" option & then click Forward. This will bring up a window of your disk(s) and all partitions. Choose the other partition you created for the install.

raymondh
June 3rd, 2009, 12:27 AM
So I have Vista on my computer right now, and when I put the OS onto the HD I partitioned it, hoping that I would be able to put another OS on later. Now I'm trying to put Ubuntu on, and it only says that it will get rid of everything, not a choice to put it onto the empty half of my HD. Is there any way that I will be able to do this other than deleting everything I own?:(

Hello Sully,

There is the manual install which requires you to input what and where you want to install. There is also the guided install where you use a slider to define. However, since you have already set a partition, would you like to do a manual install?

If yes, I have a couple of questions. Did you already format the intended ubuntu partition and which format? Here's a link of a thread we were working on. Also, I am attaching a link of a Didius Falco .... both threads are similar but Didius Falco's guide may be more understandable.

Post 11 on this:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1175206

Post 6 onwards on this:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1175277

These guides/links may help you understand what to do. Post back if you need further assistance :)

Regards and good luck.