PDA

View Full Version : EarCandy makes Pulse finally worth it.

Islington
June 2nd, 2009, 10:59 PM
http://webupd8.blogspot.com/2009/05/earcandy-is-smart-pulseaudio-volume.html

so have you guys tried this earcandy program/volume control for pulseaudio? it really makes life easy. It automatically changes your sound depending on the current application using it. For instance if you listen to music and a Skype call comes in, the music will fade out (based on your settings) until it's turned off, and the skype sound will be the only one running. Or if you listen to music and then play a YouTube video, the music will be again turned off and you will only hear the sound of the YouTube video. you can also set up different rules for it.

Finally. a reason to be with pulse.:popcorn:

A good set of instructions (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=7390751&postcount=13) to trying out earcandy right from the jaunty repositories. (thanks to monsterstack)

swoll1980
June 2nd, 2009, 11:09 PM
http://webupd8.blogspot.com/2009/05/earcandy-is-smart-pulseaudio-volume.html

the music will fade out (based on your settings) until it's turned off, and the skype sound will be the only one running. Or if you listen to music and then play a YouTube video, the music will be again turned off and you will only hear the sound of the YouTube video.

Finally. a reason to be with pulse.:popcorn:

Isn't this what PA has done all along? Only let you listen to one thing at a time? Sorry I couldn't help myself.

squaregoldfish
June 2nd, 2009, 11:11 PM
Wow! Thanks for letting us know about this - I'm definitely going to check it out soon (off on holiday first though!)

Steve.

OutOfReach
June 2nd, 2009, 11:17 PM
This looks interesting, about to try it

monsterstack
June 3rd, 2009, 12:39 AM
Been using earcandy for a few days now. Pretty cool stuff.

PurposeOfReason
June 3rd, 2009, 12:43 AM
Does it work with MPD? I only hear things from MPD and flash videos.

dragos240
June 3rd, 2009, 12:43 AM
this looks interesting, about to try it

+1

Islington
June 3rd, 2009, 12:50 AM
Isn't this what PA has done all along? Only let you listen to one thing at a time? Sorry I couldn't help myself.

I had to chuckle damn you/.

Islington
June 3rd, 2009, 12:52 AM

flash will work just fine, mpd you might wish to try. I use gmusicbrowser which uses mpd I think, and that works fine.

OutOfReach
June 3rd, 2009, 01:13 AM
Hmm this is a very nice tool, I think I might just keep it :)

albinootje
June 3rd, 2009, 01:18 AM
It automatically changes your sound depending on the current application using it. For instance if you listen to music and a Skype call comes in, the music will fade out (based on your settings) until it's turned off, and the skype sound will be the only one running.

Wow, sounds very promising, and those screenshots like nice.
Thanks for sharing!! :)

bxcrx
June 3rd, 2009, 01:34 AM

I didn't see anything in PulseAudio's volume mixer (pavucontrol) that allowed me to set specific volume settings per Window event.

monsterstack
June 3rd, 2009, 02:51 AM

Works fine with mpd. It detected my mpd player of choice rather effortlessly. Here are the steps to get the earcandy Jaunty PPA:

gksudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

And paste the following at the bottom of the file:

### Ear Candy
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/flimm/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/flimm/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main

Add the keys from the keyserver:

gpg --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv AC9D76CD6E73CA45
gpg --export --armor AC9D76CD6E73CA45 | sudo apt-key add -

Install:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install earcandy

You'll find it in the Accessories application menu.

Islington
June 3rd, 2009, 05:06 AM
I didn't see anything in PulseAudio's volume mixer (pavucontrol) that allowed me to set specific volume settings per Window event.

it was a stupid joke, PA only lets you hear one thing before crashing har har.

good write up, can I link it in the top post?

monsterstack
June 3rd, 2009, 05:08 AM

good write up, can I link it in the top post?

Who me? Go right ahead.

swoll1980
June 3rd, 2009, 05:13 AM

Actually no. The joke was a reference to the problem that some users have with PA only allowing them access to one audio stream at a time. For example if you were listening to music, and started a game, the game would steal the audio until you exited it. Wine is another one that steals the audio if I remember right.

monsterstack
June 3rd, 2009, 05:16 AM
Actually no. The joke was a reference to the problem that some users have with PA only allowing them access to one audio stream at a time. For example if you were listening to music, and started a game, the game would steal the audio until you exited it. Wine is another one that steals the audio if I remember right.

That was my experience too till I followed one of thems pulseaudio guides floating around the Howto section. But then I've followed the upgrade path and apparently some of the problems are due to mouldy old ALSA configuration settings not being purged by updating. My girlfriend did a clean install of Jaunty and she didn't have the same issues.

swoll1980
June 3rd, 2009, 05:19 AM
That was my experience too till I followed one of thems pulseaudio guides floating around the Howto section. But then I've followed the upgrade path and apparently some of the problems are due to mouldy old ALSA configuration settings not being purged by updating. My girlfriend did a clean install of Jaunty and she didn't have the same issues.

I've never had an issue with it. I know it was a pretty common problem though.

Mr. Picklesworth
June 3rd, 2009, 05:37 AM
Hooray! I was waiting for this day to come :)

(I still want volume control in window title bars, though. Hurry up and reinvent the wheel, Metacity!)

Islington
June 3rd, 2009, 08:56 PM
Hooray! I was waiting for this day to come :)

(I still want volume control in window title bars, though. Hurry up and reinvent the wheel, Metacity!)

:popcorn: where in the world did you see metacity may have vol. control in in window title bar?

bluebyt
June 3rd, 2009, 09:41 PM
The deb cannot work on intrepid :(

Error: Dependency is not satisfiable: python-central?

Islington
June 4th, 2009, 01:53 AM

could you not just build it?

bluebyt
July 7th, 2009, 12:16 AM
could you not just build it?

I tried but I get this error:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/ear_candy/ear_candy.py", line 35, in <module>
from pulseaudio.PulseAudio import PulseAudio
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/ear_candy/pulseaudio/PulseAudio.py", line 17, in <module>
from lib_pulseaudio import *
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/ear_candy/pulseaudio/lib_pulseaudio.py", line 1914, in <module>
pa_stream_set_monitor_stream = _lib.pa_stream_set_monitor_stream
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/ctypes/__init__.py", line 361, in __getattr__
func = self.__getitem__(name)
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/ctypes/__init__.py", line 366, in __getitem__
func = self._FuncPtr((name_or_ordinal, self))
AttributeError: /usr/lib/libpulse.so.0: undefined symbol: pa_stream_set_monitor_stream

dragos240
July 7th, 2009, 12:28 AM
Holy crap! I know that song!!!!!!! It's by inoue joe, closer.

SKLP
July 7th, 2009, 12:38 AM
Just tested it! pretty cool app

nielsek
July 7th, 2009, 12:39 AM
me likes

_exn_
August 24th, 2009, 07:26 AM
Anybody gets it work with 8.04 ?!

speedwell68
August 24th, 2009, 07:33 AM

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/ear-candy-a-nice-pulseaudio-volume-manager.html

calrogman
August 24th, 2009, 07:50 AM
Necromancy!

Zombie thread!

Run!

bluebyt
August 24th, 2009, 09:26 PM
http://www.ubuntugeek.com/ear-candy-a-nice-pulseaudio-volume-manager.html

Thanks speedwell68 but doesn't seem to work. I get this error, even though I had installed the repisotory.

sudo apt-get install earcandy
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package earcandy