PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Building New PC, wanna use Ubuntu

Codeyhoskins
June 2nd, 2009, 10:14 PM
The laptop I'm on right now is just a loaner, loaded with windows XP, virus', etc. I'm new to the whole of making PCs, so I got a friend helping me make it. Hes done it before, and the parts we ordered he said are compatible and that when I receive the last piece, the processor that it will be up and ready to put the OS system on. He has windows XP ready to install on it, but I've been directed to put Ubuntu on it. I've downloaded and burned the CD for it, checked to make sure it had all the files and not just the ISO, and even went ahead and downloaded and ordered the beginners guide. But, I'm not tech savvy outside of game systems. The issue I'm having, is my friend says that my hardware, motherboard, CPU, etc., will not support Ubuntu, saying Linux is way to hard to manage and use anyways and won't even play the games I was wanting to run, or the music I want to listen to.

What I want to do right now is limited to only chat, writing, music, and Spore. Very small list that I'm sure to expand later, but chat and writing would be easily solved. Remaining issues are hardware, Music, and Spore. I use iTunes, so would buying off the iTune store be an issue? Could I run iTunes and listen to the music off it? (My library is 3 years old, quit big, and don't want to lose it.) And second, would Ubuntu run Spore? Its my favorite little project computer wise.

Lastly, I'll list the CPU and motherboard, and gladly any other items needed to help me figure out for sure or not if the PC can use Ubuntu (Fingers crossed), and if I can shove this in my friends face, after its up and running with Ubuntu of course. =P.

Biostar G31D-M7 Intel G31 Socket 775 mATX Motherboard
Intel Pentium E2200 Allendale 2.2GHz 1MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor

The items I believe are by no means powerful and outragious, but they run what I want, good cost, etc. Any tips, etc., or information would be graciously accepted, as I'd love to meld more into the community. If you need more information, please ask. I'll be around waiting patiently.

MichaelSammels
June 2nd, 2009, 10:18 PM
Ubuntu will work on that computer no bother. Welcome to Ubuntu. :)

halitech
June 2nd, 2009, 10:25 PM
The laptop I'm on right now is just a loaner, loaded with windows XP, virus', etc. I'm new to the whole of making PCs, so I got a friend helping me make it. Hes done it before, and the parts we ordered he said are compatible and that when I receive the last piece, the processor that it will be up and ready to put the OS system on. He has windows XP ready to install on it, but I've been directed to put Ubuntu on it. I've downloaded and burned the CD for it, checked to make sure it had all the files and not just the ISO, and even went ahead and downloaded and ordered the beginners guide. But, I'm not tech savvy outside of game systems. The issue I'm having, is my friend says that my hardware, motherboard, CPU, etc., will not support Ubuntu, saying Linux is way to hard to manage and use anyways and won't even play the games I was wanting to run, or the music I want to listen to.

not to offend but sounds like your friend is a MS fanboy. Who directed you to put Ubuntu on it?

What I want to do right now is limited to only chat, writing, music, and Spore. Very small list that I'm sure to expand later, but chat and writing would be easily solved. Remaining issues are hardware, Music, and Spore. I use iTunes, so would buying off the iTune store be an issue? Could I run iTunes and listen to the music off it? (My library is 3 years old, quit big, and don't want to lose it.) And second, would Ubuntu run Spore? Its my favorite little project computer wise.

the hardware will certainly run Ubuntu with no issues (only issue might be the video card as you don't mention what card you have) iTunes won't run but there are other programs like amarok that will work fine. Spore seems hit or miss from what I can find but some do have it running in Ubuntu

Lastly, I'll list the CPU and motherboard, and gladly any other items needed to help me figure out for sure or not if the PC can use Ubuntu (Fingers crossed), and if I can shove this in my friends face, after its up and running with Ubuntu of course. =P.

Biostar G31D-M7 Intel G31 Socket 775 mATX Motherboard
Intel Pentium E2200 Allendale 2.2GHz 1MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor

The items I believe are by no means powerful and outragious, but they run what I want, good cost, etc. Any tips, etc., or information would be graciously accepted, as I'd love to meld more into the community. If you need more information, please ask. I'll be around waiting patiently.

you don't need to have the latest equipment to run Ubuntu but this one looks like it should be fine.

porchrat
June 2nd, 2009, 10:27 PM
Ubuntu will work fine.

Spore may run, use Google to find out if it will run, the program used by Ubuntu users to run games etc. that are designed for Windows is called "Wine". If the game is functional under Wine then you're OK. Be warned though some games run a little slower through Wine.

If your friend already has a version of XP ready for you to use why not just dual-boot? If you are new to Linux I think most will suggest that you dual-boot because it can take a while to get used to Linux. I dual-boot, I use Windows XP for games and a few programs I'm still attached to and don't want to lose (and to test webpages on IE7) and Ubuntu for everything else. How large is your Hard drive? Can you afford to run both?

As for iTunes you may battle to get that running properly and when you do get it running you may not be able to run the latest version. I have seen examples of people getting it running though so it isn't impossible.

halitech
June 2nd, 2009, 10:32 PM
here is some info from wine

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=8185

looks like it should work fine

73ckn797
June 2nd, 2009, 10:32 PM
I have had no problems running Ubuntu on 2 Biostar mother boards. I am not a gamer so will not comment on that.

Codeyhoskins
June 2nd, 2009, 10:53 PM
Wow, thanks for the quick and useful replies and posts. I'm glad to be apart of the community ^_^. The friend is from highschool-college, and the one who instructed me to use Ubuntu was actually my GF. Me and her still get along, and shes savvy tech wise. I'm just, gamer wise =P. The Graphics card is Sparkle GeForce 9400GT 512MB DDR2. Also, the motherboard has an integrated video card. I'll try to dual-boot for a while on this laptop, or try to play around and test it out on my ex's PC. And yea, hes a MS Fan boy. And he gives me stuff over being a Sony-Fanboy lol. I figure mines the lesser of evils.

If it comes down to the better quality of an OS, I can give up iTunes. I can always convert the music, that I can do at the least.

It has a 100 GB HD, and then when I get some more funds I'm gonna install another HD, GB unknown atm til I have the money to decide, and at that time I'll also decide weither or not to have windows on it. Depending on if Spore functions or not.

Thank you all again. Once again, glad to be apart of the community!

halitech
June 2nd, 2009, 10:55 PM
you won't need to convert music in order to listen to it, just find a different program to listen :)

100gig is more then enough to dualboot both if you want and the video card will be fine.

Codeyhoskins
June 2nd, 2009, 11:21 PM
Just to finish being thorough and research everything completely and check my sources, I'm getting the 64bit version of the CD for Ubuntu. I'm pretty sure its the best for my PC, Ubuntu 9.04 that is, but, just want to make sure. Beginners should not ever assume to much, y'know?

halitech
June 2nd, 2009, 11:24 PM
either will run and they've worked out most/all of the bugs that were plaguing 64bit so yes, I would go with the 64bit. The bonus to the 64 bit is if you have 4gig or more of ram it will see all of it as the normal 32bit will only see up to about 3.9 (if I remember right)

LowSky
June 2nd, 2009, 11:31 PM
back up your data beofre installing... to many people forget to do that.

TheNosh
June 2nd, 2009, 11:51 PM
back up your data beofre installing... to many people forget to do that.

it's a new PC i don't think there's anything to back up

73ckn797
June 3rd, 2009, 12:53 AM
either will run and they've worked out most/all of the bugs that were plaguing 64bit so yes, I would go with the 64bit. The bonus to the 64 bit is if you have 4gig or more of ram it will see all of it as the normal 32bit will only see up to about 3.9 (if I remember right)

6 gigs of ram shows up as 5.9 gigs running Ubuntu 9.04 64bit. The system runs great without a glitch. That is as long as I don't go "tweaking" something I shouldn't.

albinootje
June 3rd, 2009, 01:14 AM
I use iTunes, so would buying off the iTune store be an issue? Could I run iTunes and listen to the music off it? (My library is 3 years old, quit big, and don't want to lose it.)

You would have to run iTunes inside a VirtualBox guest VM if you want to concentrate on Ubuntu, but you can go for a dual-boot of course.

See also here : http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/itunes

kamitsukai
June 3rd, 2009, 01:41 AM
Has no one thought to ask if his Itunes library is DRM'ed? as if it is then there's not much chance of listening to any of it inside Ubuntu without Virtualbox as the poster above mentions...

panicy
June 3rd, 2009, 03:31 AM
Go with Ubuntu!

You'll like it so much better than any Windows OS. Its a little different at first, but the amount of support that is on the web is awesome, especially this forum! Its so much more stable, and less resource heavy then windows its ridiculous

I also encourage you to start learning command line right away. Its a great way to learn the file structure and its very addictive....

cheers!

smartidiot
June 3rd, 2009, 03:39 PM
Spore works fine in Wine.

itunes has mixed reviews - VirtualBox might be your best bet.