PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Need some extra space in /

shahdharmit
June 2nd, 2009, 10:09 PM
Hello all..

I have recently installed Ubuntu 9.04 in my system. I used to use Fedora 10 till now. Now the problem is that when I was updating Ubuntu, it showed me that there's less space in / partition. So can someone give me a way of increasing this size without having to re-install Ubuntu? I also use Windows 7 due to my academics. Thanks in advance.

logos34
June 2nd, 2009, 10:14 PM
shrink win7 using its own disk utilities. Then boot the ubuntu live cd, go to system>admin>partition editor, and expand / partition to incorporate unallocated space. (You have to work from the live cd because root cannot be mounted during resize).

hope that helps

merlinus
June 2nd, 2009, 10:15 PM
You can try shrinking your windows partition using its built-in disk manager, if it has one.

Then you can use gparted to increase the size of ubuntu, using the space that was freed up.

I know nothing about the particulars of win 7, but you also should defrag that partition before resizing, if possible. This is usually the case with any version of that os.

shahdharmit
June 2nd, 2009, 10:28 PM
Ok. Through Win7 I'll shrink a drive (an NTFS one) that has 30 GB free space. But can't I do it using gparted itself? Sorry if I m sounding foolish 'cause I'm using gparted for the 1st time.

logos34
June 2nd, 2009, 10:32 PM
gparted doesn't handle vista or win7 NTFS too well. Better to use windows own disk tool. That's the recommended way.

merlinus
June 2nd, 2009, 10:34 PM
Hi logos34!

Does win 7 need defragging before shrinking, like all the previous versions?

shahdharmit
June 2nd, 2009, 10:41 PM
i dont think so. I never used to defrag it before shrinking. And yet it all worked well

shahdharmit
June 2nd, 2009, 10:41 PM
gparted doesn't handle vista or win7 NTFS too well. Better to use windows own disk tool. That's the recommended way.

Thanks. Vl follow ur told way...

logos34
June 2nd, 2009, 10:57 PM
Hi logos34!

Does win 7 need defragging before shrinking, like all the previous versions?

Yo merlinus!

wazzup?

probably needs it, so I'd go with your suggestion...But I have to admit I'm not sure, since I've never tried win7 ntfs

merlinus
June 2nd, 2009, 11:03 PM
Finally got a new machine, and so my interest in sharing about and helping with ubuntu is back, at least for awhile.

I am loving the 64-bit version, as it runs the apps I need for digital photo processing much faster and better.

Glad to see at least one person I remember from the "old days" is still active!

logos34
June 2nd, 2009, 11:45 PM
yeah, still around...go through phases where I get burned out with 'buntu and won't post anything, then others where I get my interest back...So, x64 is a lot faster for digital pix editing, eh? Sounds right...I run x64 too but have no way of really knowing how much better the performance is because my processor is so crappy (wimpy sempy amd single core--don't laugh)...Compiling anything takes forever...I can overclock it to 2 ghz though, so that's some consolation...all I can say its whisper quiet...

merlinus
June 3rd, 2009, 01:28 AM
still around, and still giving excellent advice and help! you da man!!!

when my 6-1/2 year-old machine basically died, i figured i merited something much better. so i went for a 3GHz dual core, 4G ram, nvidia geforce 9400 gt, 500G hdd. and it is quite a bit quieter than the old one as well.

the app i use for working with raw photo files has a 64-bit version, so that was another reason to go this route.

and although i set up the disk with a 20G primary partition at the very front, i have yet to feel any need whatsoever to install win 2000. someday -- maybe.... because the one win app i use refuses to run in a vm.

good to re-connect....

logos34
June 3rd, 2009, 01:40 AM
just curious--what photo apps are you using/like best?

gee, it would be nice to have a shiny new digital SLR camera...I could get into it, since there's no processing likein the old days

nice machine specs...god I need another hdd

merlinus
June 3rd, 2009, 01:51 AM
i use rawtherapee for opening, editing, processing, and saving the raw files. i generally export them as 16-bit tiffs, and can do further processing, if need be, in gimp -- although it makes the tiffs into 8-bits. after editing and sharpening i save them as high-quality jpegs, both for the web and for sharing with friends and family.

i use digikam -- a kde app which runs great with gnome -- for cataloging.

those digital photos add up very, very fast. i shoot both raw and jpegs, so i can use image viewer to decide if they are worth keeping and/or processing further.

the quality is amazing -- i don't miss film at all, and the instant gratification of viewing them is awesome! i only wonder why it took me so long to jump on board, but of course the newer dslrs are quite something.

logos34
June 3rd, 2009, 02:17 AM
'rawtherapee'-hah! love it

I know what you mean about gratification...I find myself spending hours looking through peoples jpegs over at AccuWeather photo section...average people (nature-lovers) taking great photos...I dl a lot of them, they add up quick space-wise

yeahm the resolution can be phenomenal..no reason for nostalgia for the old way (unless you're some purist into view cameras and dark rooms)

shahdharmit
June 3rd, 2009, 03:31 AM
Defrag was necessary. Without that I was given a free space of just 79 mb for a new partition. Thanks. Defrag going on. Hope I get some reasonable space after it's over.

merlinus
June 3rd, 2009, 06:00 AM
Yeah, I thought so. I have had to do this with every dual-boot installation. There is almost always a large green chunk near the end of the drive on the defrag screen, which makes it nigh-onto-impossible to claim all of the free space without a complete defrag.

Another thing you might do is to get rid of any temp files, especially the ones with a tilde in front of the filename. They can take up loads of hdd space as well.

BTW, sorry that logos34 and I had a conversation in the middle of your thread, but it had been quite a while since we last connected.

Thanks for being indulgent. And good luck with your install!

logos34
June 3rd, 2009, 07:34 AM
yeah, sorry too...I can get chatty at times!

shahdharmit
June 3rd, 2009, 07:35 AM
Oh it's absolutely fine about your conversation. I hadn't removed Fedora 10 so I finally deleted that entire partition from Windows and then re-installed Ubuntu so finally Ubuntu got a 58 gigs of breathing space. :)

logos34
June 3rd, 2009, 08:02 AM
Oh it's absolutely fine about your conversation. I hadn't removed Fedora 10 so I finally deleted that entire partition from Windows and then re-installed Ubuntu so finally Ubuntu got a 58 gigs of breathing space. :)

cool. wish I had that much!