PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 release clashes with ubuntu 9.10

hyperdude111
June 2nd, 2009, 09:35 PM
http://lifehacker.com/5275996/windows-7-release-date-official-october-22

The release date of the much-anticipated Windows 7 is official: Consumers will be able to purchase Windows 7 starting October 22, 2009. While price may still be a barrier for adoption, Windows 7 has clearly got users excited for a fresh start from Microsoft. Granted, the Windows 7 RC is already available now if you want to get started down the Win7 road early (our guide to upgrading to Windows 7 is a good starting point), but if you're waiting for the official release, mark your calendars for October.

I started searching and found out that ubuntu 9.10 RC is released on the SAME day as windows 7 and the final release is only a week later. This could make a massive cut in the media attention ubuntu might achieve with the win7 frenzy that will follow.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Ubuntu-9-10-Release-Schedule-105924.shtml

billgoldberg
June 2nd, 2009, 09:37 PM
http://lifehacker.com/5275996/windows-7-release-date-official-october-22

I started searching and found out that ubuntu 9.10 RC is released on the SAME day as windows 7 and the final release is only a week later. This could make a massive cut in the media attention ubuntu might achieve with the win7 frenzy that will follow.

Could be, however it could just give Ubuntu that extra bit of attention.

mofrikaantje
June 2nd, 2009, 09:55 PM
Could be, however it could just give Ubuntu that extra bit of attention.

I doubt it, given the massive attention Vista has had...

arubislander
June 2nd, 2009, 10:01 PM
How much attention did ubuntu 9.04 get? I don't really see why 9.10 should get less attention because Windows 7 is around the corner. I seem to remember that Windows 7 was already being hyped at the launch of 9.04.

hyperdude111
June 2nd, 2009, 10:05 PM
How much attention did ubuntu 9.04 get? I don't really see why 9.10 should get less attention because Windows 7 is around the corner. I seem to remember that Windows 7 was already being hyped at the launch of 9.04.

Hyped? maybe but the final release is far more important than a leaked beta.

I-75
June 2nd, 2009, 10:15 PM
Windows 7 to launch October 22

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-10253924-56.html

Microsoft confirmed on Tuesday that it is planning for Windows 7 to hit retail shelves and start showing up on new PCs on October 22.

Microsoft has said that Windows 7 will come in five different editions in most markets--Starter, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise and Ultimate. A "Windows 7 Basic" will also be sold in emerging markets, Microsoft said.

The software maker has yet to announce pricing for the product.

Kingsley
June 2nd, 2009, 10:21 PM
Microsoft is worse than Fedora at sticking to a release schedule. I'll just assume that Windows 7 is coming out right before Christmas.

Giant Speck
June 2nd, 2009, 10:40 PM
This is somewhat old news.

overdrank
June 2nd, 2009, 10:45 PM
Threads merged :)

Twitch6000
June 2nd, 2009, 11:06 PM
Microsoft is worse than Fedora at sticking to a release schedule. I'll just assume that Windows 7 is coming out right before Christmas.

I agree...

Even though I am interested on how well their release will do compared to vista and xp.

I still think they will release it a bit later then expected.

barisurum
June 2nd, 2009, 11:13 PM
The more later they release the more unhappy windows users there will be as more people will buy vista and realize that its slow as hell. lol :D

geekygirl
June 3rd, 2009, 12:00 AM
News about Ubuntu releases?!! You are kidding right?

When Vista was released, the mainstream media over here had stories about it. About some of the people who did actually get it at the midnight launch. Heck, even World of Warcraft's Wrath of the Lich King made the mainstream media and news over here.

Linux? Ubuntu? Nope never heard of it. Guess its not really newsworthy to talk about what a handful of computer users are running on their PC's compared to what many thousands are using.

The only place you tend to see 'news' about Ubuntu releases is on Computer related websites, who already have a target audience, PC magazines, again, a target audience. Trouble being that Ubuntu is not really news or interesting news to those other than the people that are passionate about it anyways.

Whats the marketshare of MS operating systems, to Apple to Linux?

Sure Ubuntu has probably made some headway in the home user area, but in reality (and personally I dont like it either) MS has the market domination.

Can't see MS being toppled by Ubuntu anytime soon when I can even ask some work mates if they know what Ubuntu is and all I get is blank stares.

Windows 7 is going to be THE big thing when it comes to reporting tech news this year - it already is. MS have done a good job with their approach to marketing it with free, long term use Beta's and RC's and positive press feedback.

Dont have to like it, but thats reality for you.

The rest of us know whats better on our computers though, and it doesn't end in 7...;)

monsterstack
June 3rd, 2009, 12:52 AM
Microsoft have done something pretty incredible, really. Windows 7 is more of an incremental release rather than a complete overhaul. Still it has enough UI tweaks and enough bloat has been removed for it to appear like something completely brand-spanking new. The reality is that the new OS is incredibly compatible with Vista, which isn't really all that bad after three years of updates and service packs. And then they went ahead and released a free Beta and RC so that the geek crowd is chattering about it, and hyping it up for free. And unlike the Vista RC, this one is mostly free of horrific problems. Microsoft had to buy opinions for Vista. Now that Windows 7 is actually quite good it looks like they won't have to do that at all. Add in a multi-billion dollar ad campaign and you'll have the most hyped up release from Redmond since Windows 95. Looks like Microsoft have learnt how to use the Internet after all.

samjh
June 3rd, 2009, 01:24 AM
Windows 7 is not an incremental release. The user interface and other front-ends are similar to Vista, but the kernel has undergone some major overhauls, particularly with regard to performance and security. The release candidate runs faster than Ubuntu for me (although not as fast as Arch or plain Debian). Win7 security feels eerily like Unix. Access control and UAC are a pleasure to use on Win7.

I've been thoroughly impressed by the release candidate so far. If it isn't for the inevitable swarm of viruses and malware soon to follow, and the break in backward compatibility with Win XP and Vista, I'd switch from Linux to Win7.

monsterstack
June 3rd, 2009, 01:29 AM
Windows 7 is not an incremental release. The user interface and other front-ends are similar to Vista, but the kernel has undergone some major overhauls, particularly with regard to performance and security. The release candidate runs faster than Ubuntu for me (although not as fast as Arch or plain Debian). Win7 security feels eerily like Unix. Access control and UAC are a pleasure to use on Win7.

I've been thoroughly impressed by the release candidate so far. If it isn't for the inevitable swarm of viruses and malware soon to follow, and the break in backward compatibility with Win XP and Vista, I'd switch from Linux to Win7.

If you can stomach reading the Windows Team Blog (http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/windows7/archive/2008/10/28/windows-7-unveiled-today-at-pdc-2008.aspx), I refer you to exhibit A:

Windows 7 will build on the substantial investments the company has made in the fundamentals with Windows Vista - improving security, reliability and performance while improving security features that people expect. Windows 7 is designed to be compatible with the same hardware, applications, and device drivers as Windows Vista today.

If that's not an incremental release I don't know what is.

ezsit
June 3rd, 2009, 01:37 AM
I'll wait until after Christmas and see what all the feedback is like coming in from Windows 7. I'll probably switch one of my three Ubuntu computers to Wind 7 if all sounds good. Right now, at work, I'm still stuck on Windows 2000 which is by far the best version of Windows to ever get released. At home I have Ubuntu 8.10 installed and I am waiting for 9.10 to upgrade since 9.04 was a major non-event and buggy release for me.

Dawei87
June 3rd, 2009, 03:23 AM
i am willing to bet microsoft will stick to the release date, they are trying to make people happy and cover up for past mistakes (vista). i think that rather than lose face by changing the release date they will just push a windows that may not be quite ready and plan on an update as soon as they can. microsoft is bad at sticking to release dates, but this time they need to. and they obviously dont mind shipping broken products on release day (vista, 98, me, xbox). just my opinion though