PDA

View Full Version : is there such a thing as windows lite?

chucky chuckaluck
June 2nd, 2009, 02:56 PM
i've been drinking that MGD 64 calorie crap lately and it got me to thinking, i wonder if windows makes a light beer (metaphorically speaking). you know, like a windows7oz.

tacantara
June 2nd, 2009, 03:06 PM
Yes, there is/was a Windows lite....and they called it 3.11. :lolflag:

At least it's the last version that I remember that ran smoothly for the systems that it was designed for.

stwschool
June 2nd, 2009, 03:08 PM
Not officially, but there are some 'lite' releases among the hacked versions. Personally if I use Windows it tends to be full-fat, I don't want anything some hacker's messed with to be honest, I'm not that trusting.

omar8
June 2nd, 2009, 03:22 PM
There is Windows CE which is an embedded solution however, it doesn't use the NT kernel so it isn't the same thing as Windows XP/Vista/7. It's basically a completely differen't operating system with a subset of win32 - it has less win32 compatibility than WINE and is really for companies to use in devices like ATMs and is used as a base for Windows Mobile.

stwschool
June 2nd, 2009, 03:41 PM
I've seen ATMs here (Thailand) running on Win2k. I know because I recognise the error messages ;) It really gives you confidence in your bank...

xpod
June 2nd, 2009, 03:55 PM
You can lighten Windows yourself with nlite (http://www.nliteos.com/).

dspari1
June 2nd, 2009, 04:05 PM
I think the xp that comes in netbooks are like 200mb-300mb.

wersdaluv
June 2nd, 2009, 04:11 PM
There is according to pirates. hehe

Warpnow
June 2nd, 2009, 04:12 PM
You can lighten Windows yourself with nlite (http://www.nliteos.com/).

A fun program to toy around with, for sure.

djdarrin91
June 2nd, 2009, 04:14 PM
Ya,I installed vista ultimate ultra lite on my g/f computer,and it works fine and it's very fast but the media center was taken out:( but if someone really didn't want the media center it's perfect.

Sand & Mercury
June 2nd, 2009, 06:51 PM
It would be really cool if there was an official streamlined, super-minimalist installation of Vista you could do. I'd never trust pirate modifications, if I'm going to cut it down to a minimal setup I'd rather do it myself. Pirate versions in my experience always seem to make the wrong changes and usually their taste in aesthetics is kind of... deplorable.

ghindo
June 2nd, 2009, 07:08 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Fundamentals_for_Legacy_PCs

Tipped OuT
June 2nd, 2009, 08:04 PM
Not officially, but there are some 'lite' releases among the hacked versions. Personally if I use Windows it tends to be full-fat, I don't want anything some hacker's messed with to be honest, I'm not that trusting.

Hackers? All they do is rip out the unnecessary things with a simple program. Any one can do it.

Ace1989
June 2nd, 2009, 08:07 PM

Yeah because anyone who has made a customized OS is a Hacker...

:mad: