PDA

View Full Version : what is the best web browser in ubuntu

gawadelnil2002
June 2nd, 2009, 10:50 AM
hey guys i want to know what is the best web browser that u tried cause for real i gave up firefox its very very slow and the flash is very slow too it eats my memory and my cpu and if i run skype an di try to open firefox my computer becomes very very slow and i cannot keep on that

hikaricore
June 2nd, 2009, 10:52 AM
Firefox runs fine even on the slowest system I have with is an old 600mhz pentium.
What kinda hardware are you running? cpu, ram, video card/drivers?

If you have trouble with it still you could always use a lightweight browser like midori.

Soul-Sing
June 2nd, 2009, 10:54 AM
I like flock the most, but thats almost firefox....

colau
June 2nd, 2009, 10:56 AM
firefox>opera

MichaelSammels
June 2nd, 2009, 10:57 AM
In my opinion, Epiphany is the best browser out there for Ubuntu. Designed specifically for GNOME it can be installed via the terminal:

sudo apt-get install epiphany-browser

gawadelnil2002
June 2nd, 2009, 11:03 AM
Firefox runs fine even on the slowest system I have with is an old 600mhz pentium.
What kinda hardware are you running? cpu, ram, video card/drivers?

If you have trouble with it still you could always use a lightweight browser like midori.

im using for my disktop futji siemens processor 2.6 mhz ram is 512 and video card is intel
and the video driver xserver-xorg-video-intel-2.4
i removed the xserver-xorg-video-intel from ubuntu and i installed xserver-xorg-video-intel-2.4 cause i had some kind of perfromance regression
not: i use compiz and it works very great and i have no problems with video drivers now my computer was working fast with my old xp a year ago

sahabcse
June 2nd, 2009, 11:04 AM
Firefox is best one, try seamonkey

gawadelnil2002
June 2nd, 2009, 11:10 AM
In my opinion, Epiphany is the best browser out there for Ubuntu. Designed specifically for GNOME it can be installed via the terminal:

i tried opera before and epiphany browser i found epiphany is verygood very light and download webpages fast but i have some problems with epiphany that i cant edit it when i go to about:config it forzes and dosnt work till i retsart , and i need to edit epiphany because i wanna it faster and i want to disable ipv6

valex
June 2nd, 2009, 11:12 AM

yes! Epiphany is good. but firefox is better. so many addones and themes.!!

MichaelSammels
June 2nd, 2009, 11:15 AM
yes! Epiphany is good. but firefox is better. so many addones and themes.!!
In my opinion themes/addons slow Firefox down. :)

gawadelnil2002
June 2nd, 2009, 11:23 AM
is there something else better than epiphany and firefox cause as i told u i tried thme and i have problems with them specially the slow firefox that came by default installed in ubuntu as branded version i think i will try opera again did any one tried it (opera) in jaunty

MichaelSammels
June 2nd, 2009, 11:26 AM
Other browsers include Galeon, which is an older version of Epiphany, w3, which is a text based browser, Konqueror, the KDE version, Dolphin, another KDE variant.

That's just some to get started. :)

gawadelnil2002
June 2nd, 2009, 11:27 AM
i saw the seamonkey webpages and i googled about installing it on ubuntu and i heared from google websearch that seamonkey is faster and better than firefox is this true ??????
because if its true i will install clean copy of ubuntu 9.04 now and remove firefox forevery and use seemonkey

tacantara
June 2nd, 2009, 11:28 AM
I saw a thread recently on improving Firefox performance through a script which, when run, cleans out the unnecessary stuff that slows the browser down. If I can find the thread, I will provide a link.

Meanwhile, I realize that Ubuntu is more secure than Windows by design, but I'd be leery of straying away from Firefox because of security concerns. I don't know enough about Opera, Seamonkey, Epiphany, et.al. to judge their security, but I do know that Firefox is a relatively secure browser (more so than IE - I always recommend Firefox to my Windows-using friends and family members).

MichaelSammels
June 2nd, 2009, 11:28 AM
I've never tried SeaMonkey, but generally the less plugins/themes/addons a browser has the faster it is. Try it and see :) You can always reinstall Firefox if you wish.

gawadelnil2002
June 2nd, 2009, 11:30 AM
i saw the seamonkey webpages and i googled about installing it on ubuntu and i heared from google websearch that seamonkey is faster and better than firefox is this true ??????
because if its true i will install clean copy of ubuntu 9.04 now and remove firefox forevery and use seemonkey
that is the web page that say that seemomkey ios better than firefox http://www.basicconfig.com/linuxtips/install_seamonkey_ubuntu

gawadelnil2002
June 2nd, 2009, 11:36 AM
i will go now and format my / and install clean copy of ubuntu 9.04 and install seemonley and i will tell what i got when i finish i hope i can replay all of u from seemonky after i insall it thank u everyone tried to help me thank u so much :popcorn:

MichaelSammels
June 2nd, 2009, 11:38 AM
No bother, glad we could help. Let us know how it goes :D

tacantara
June 2nd, 2009, 11:39 AM
If you decide you want to go back to Firefox, this link will take you to a "how-to" on cleaning up the SQLite database in Firefox, thus making it run more efficiently. I've applied the instructions to my own web browser, and found it to work quite well.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1088094&highlight=vacuum

Good luck in your browser quest :)

3rdalbum
June 2nd, 2009, 12:00 PM
Seamonkey is basically Netscape Communicator 6 with a few extra features and a modern rendering engine.

I rather like Flock and Konqueror. I did have some problems with Firefox crashing (well and truly fixed now) and Flock was just different enough to work properly.

Flock is only 32-bit though.

Konqueror is quite nice.

I'll correct an earlier poster: Dolphin is a file manager, not a web browser. Whereas Konqueror is both.

MichaelSammels
June 2nd, 2009, 12:01 PM
Seamonkey is basically Netscape Communicator 6 with a few extra features and a modern rendering engine.

I rather like Flock and Konqueror. I did have some problems with Firefox crashing (well and truly fixed now) and Flock was just different enough to work properly.

Flock is only 32-bit though.

Konqueror is quite nice.

I'll correct an earlier poster: Dolphin is a file manager, not a web browser. Whereas Konqueror is both.

Thanks for that :) I always did get confused in KDE's file managers. :P

sica07
June 2nd, 2009, 12:41 PM
If you want something fast, try Kazehakase.

binbash
June 2nd, 2009, 02:40 PM
Firefox 3.5 and Chromium

philinux
June 2nd, 2009, 02:47 PM
Firefox 3.5, shiretoko, is in the jaunty repo's for testing. It appears as Shiretoko web browser under Internet menu. It takes your existing FF profile and builds its own from this. You can run both browsers side by side. No interference at all.

Not all addons are compatible yet.

abhilashm86
June 2nd, 2009, 02:55 PM
elinks browser in text in terminal, works super fast........

Pogeymanz
June 2nd, 2009, 03:45 PM
Opera.

Unfortunately, Flash is just slow in Linux. If you are really interested in Flash, try installing the Windows version of Firefox/Opera and FlashPlayer in Wine and see if that helps.

But Opera is a really great browser. If you just spend a day or two using it, you'll come to really appreciate it, I bet.

Plus Opera is more lightweight, more secure, renders faster (in real life), and has much customizability built in without the need for addons, which it has also.

longtom
June 2nd, 2009, 03:52 PM
Opera.

+1

- for ease of use and no fuss browsing I haven't encountered anything better yet.

SomeGuyDude
June 2nd, 2009, 04:05 PM
Firefox3.5 is great if you need your add-ons.

Midori is CRAZY good for just lightweight browsing.

Warpnow
June 2nd, 2009, 04:17 PM
Lightweight Browsers:

1. Opera

Advantage: Light, Fast, and Full featured.
Disadvantage: Closed Source, Some slight problems, at times, with flash.

2. Webkit Expiriments
Advantage: Open Source
Disadvantage: Unstable as hell, and glitchy.

3. Stripped down Gecko
Advantage: Full featured
Disadvantage: Not very Lightweight.

stwschool
June 2nd, 2009, 04:34 PM
Swiftfox. Simple.

iTrickU
June 2nd, 2009, 04:46 PM
Firefox 3.6 nightlies are what i'm using at the moment and its more stable than opera, i used to use opera but now its too buggy. I don't think i could use opera now though because i need my firefox extensions ;)

gawadelnil2002
June 2nd, 2009, 04:48 PM
hey i'm back it was very long day i installed clean copy of ubuntu and i configured it as i want i made update and upgrade , everything was ok and i removed firefox and installed seamonkey , i was shocked this broswer is a firefox but with very ugly face and the firefox is faster than it and the same slow behavior i said ok i have another option i will install opera and i should remove seamonkey and i did and opera is very great very very great browser but the plugins wasnt great it didnt work and i typed opera plugins in broswer and it was using firefox plugins and with all of that no emppeded video worked no video plugins worked in this page http://nogoomfm.blogspot.com/2008/01/listen-to-nile-fm-live.html and i decided to go back to firefox ( no one laugh at me ) , firefox is slow but after that tips that i saw about cleaning it as (tacantara) did i found firefox works well or i cant find better than it even if it was slow , i wanna thank u all for real face to face it was long great day for me and if any one have any tips for improving firefox more and more he have to post it here
and now there are some screenshots for my computer for people curious to see it i added more for gnome it looks pretty now :o

gawadelnil2002
June 2nd, 2009, 05:02 PM
i dont see any one was waiting to know what i did ,where r u people :popcorn:???????

elianthony
June 2nd, 2009, 05:46 PM
Opera.

Unfortunately, Flash is just slow in Linux. If you are really interested in Flash, try installing the Windows version of Firefox/Opera and FlashPlayer in Wine and see if that helps.

But Opera is a really great browser. If you just spend a day or two using it, you'll come to really appreciate it, I bet.

Plus Opera is more lightweight, more secure, renders faster (in real life), and has much customizability built in without the need for addons, which it has also.

+1

I love Opera. I find i prefer it to Firefox even with all of Firefox's addons. I use them both, but when I just want to browse, and not do anything special, Opera wins hands down.

lovinglinux
June 2nd, 2009, 10:01 PM
You should try different browsers and test them with Peacekeeper (http://service.futuremark.com/peacekeeper/index.action) benchmark. It will give you a good idea of which one is faster on your system.

My benchmarks:

Firefox 3.0.10 with several extensions - 374 points
Firefox 3.0.10 without extensions - 464 points
Epiphany 2.26.1 - 512 points
Opera 9.64 - 544 points
Firefox 3.5b4pre (Shiretoko) without extensions - 748 points
Chromium 3.0.183.0 (0) alpha - 1457 points
Midori - crashes when opening Peacekeeper page

So, Firefox 3.5 runs 60% faster than Firefox 3.0.10 and 38% faster than Opera. Chromium is almost twice faster than Shiretoko, but it still alpha.

I still prefer to use Firefox because I'm much more productive with several extensions it has to offer. I'm waiting for Firefox 3.5 final release.

BTW, flash sucks on every browser.

UKeywords: 649167 2009 june browser comparison benchmark

gawadelnil2002
June 3rd, 2009, 12:22 PM
hey (lovinglinux (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=649167)) i tried what u posted for firefox , and it gave me 195 point for firefox afetr i scaned what that means ???????????

lovinglinux
June 3rd, 2009, 06:14 PM
hey (lovinglinux (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=649167)) i tried what u posted for firefox , and it gave me 195 point for firefox afetr i scaned what that means ???????????

It means it is really running slow. I suggested Peacemaker so you could test other browsers and use the results to decide which browser to use or to troubleshoot the problem.

For example, if Firefox gets 195 points and Opera gets 4000, then there is something really wrong with Firefox. But if Opera gets only 250 points for example, then the problem is probably not on Firefox, but on your system. Then, changing browsers probably won't solve the issue.

Viva
June 3rd, 2009, 06:15 PM
Ubuntu or not, firefox is the best browser for any platform

billgoldberg
June 3rd, 2009, 06:20 PM

Make sure to also install the plugins package for teh epiphany browser, it's has adblock and other nice stuff.