PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] notification area moved and gone

Chrisynde
June 2nd, 2009, 10:05 AM
Hi,

I'm a relative new ubuntu user and have used these forums allot for help with great success.
However I've encountered something quite strange with my Xubuntu Jaunty distro.

Here goes:
Today I booted my laptop and noticed the notification area (with network applet etc) was missing.
But a notification came up my screen right below the applications menu saying my connection was established.
So I figured the notification area is still running but not in the place I want it to be. I've tried 'killall' for both the nm-applet and the entire xfce4 panel to no avail. I've tried reinserting the notification area with "add panel" but was unable. It said "There is already a notification area running on this screen" followed by "Could not load systray module".

So I figure i'll have to kill the notification area and have to add it again, just don't know how if i can't find it..

Any help?

PS: Based on earlier research on these forums i have a feeling it has something to do with installing and removing the Compiz settings manager..

Chrisynde
June 2nd, 2009, 12:29 PM
Anyone? I'm really out of ideas except for the obvious reinstall..

mister_p_1998
June 2nd, 2009, 02:29 PM
Easy!
Right Button over the task bar, select "Add to Panel" and select "Notification Area". Sometimes the items on the taskbar move about (dont know why) and sometimes vanish (Like yours).

Steve

Chrisynde
June 2nd, 2009, 02:36 PM
Easy!
Right Button over the task bar, select "Add to Panel" and select "Notification Area". Sometimes the items on the taskbar move about (dont know why) and sometimes vanish (Like yours).

Steve

Thx Steve, but I already tried that to no avail. I always get an error saying there is already a notification area running on my screen (see above). I still can't seem to find it though...

kerry_s
June 2nd, 2009, 02:50 PM
look in ~/.config/xfce4/panel
delete "systray-*"

in panels.xml, delete the line for systray

logout and back in, put the notification back on.

Chrisynde
June 2nd, 2009, 04:10 PM
look in ~/.config/xfce4/panel
delete "systray-*"

in panels.xml, delete the line for systray

logout and back in, put the notification back on.

Thx! Problem solved!

Theobalt
June 29th, 2010, 01:19 AM
It worked for me too, although there was nothing in panels.xml about systray.

Thanks!

michaelmouf
August 3rd, 2010, 08:22 PM
I'm running an Ubuntu minimal install with xfce 4.6. I have the same problem and tried deleting the file and line in panels.xml, but the files keep getting created again everytime i login. Help anyone?

affert
November 8th, 2010, 03:54 PM
I bet you have a session saved. Try going to ~/.cache/sessions/ and deleting the files there.

Mappenz
July 14th, 2011, 10:11 AM
I have the same Problem. But those hints don't apply to me. I am using 11.04.

my ~/.config/xfce4/panel looks like:

michael@michi:~/.config/xfce4/panel$ ls
launcher-13 launcher-15 launcher-17 launcher-19 launcher-21
launcher-14 launcher-16 launcher-18 launcher-20

azertyh
July 14th, 2011, 05:59 PM
right-click on a panel, panel, panel preferences, items tab, and move the notification area to the place where you want.