PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] device manager

TooCrooked
June 2nd, 2009, 08:49 AM
so i did a little searching, and it appears that in order to have a "device manager", you have to install the "gnome-device-manager" package. so i did just that. i then expected to find the device manger under system>administration, but nothing is there.

it was only last week that i first installed ubuntu, so talk to me like a child here. where is my device manager?

TooCrooked
June 2nd, 2009, 08:52 AM
btw, this is ubutu 9.04 64bit. incidentally, how do i double check through gnome to ensure i actually have 64bit? it wasnt under system>about that i could find..

robert shearer
June 2nd, 2009, 10:25 PM
well, Ubuntu is not Windows so you need to do some exploration,read some of the excellent documentation in the beginners forum and, if you have specific problems with hardware then ask about those and we can help.

To help you along try this for some of the "device Manager" options you may have been used to..

click on System=>Preferences=>Main menu.

On the left hand pane scroll down to system and click on that.
Now on the middle pane put a check next to 'Control Centre"

Close that window and go back to..

System=>Control Centre (which will now appear in your menu) and look through the options.

This really just collects together access for many of the options available through the standard menus but is perhaps more 'familiar' to a newcomer.:)

welcome and post if you need more assistance.