PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Automatically install / force updates

cewlout
June 2nd, 2009, 08:46 AM
Hello community,

I have installed Ubuntu on my mothers PC. The system is running since 2 years now. The problem is that my mother (of course - she doesn't know better) did not install any software updates. Now there are around 500 updates to be installed.

Now, my mother gets my "old" PC and I want to take the opportunity to install a more recent version of Kubuntu (9.04) on it. Also, this time I want to go sure that the updates are installed properly.

Is there a way to force update-installation -especially security updates-, for example while booting up or something?

I've read a lot of tutorials but all these tutorials have one thing in common: You (as user) have to know what you're doing ... the problem is my mother does not - she simply wants to start the system reading emails and surfin' the web.

Is there a user-friendlysolution for this issue?

Thanks guys!

Partyboi2
June 2nd, 2009, 10:25 AM
Hi, you could setup a cron job to automatically update the machine.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AutomaticSecurityUpdates

mcduck
June 2nd, 2009, 12:03 PM
At least in Gnome you can set the update manager to install security updates automatically (System/Administration/Software Sources, on the Updates-tab enable "Install security updates without confirmation"), but some KDE user will have to tell you how to do the same in KDE.