PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] New to Ubuntu

rickyhj2002
June 2nd, 2009, 07:32 AM
About 3 weeks ago the power supply shot in my system.It got my board too,so i had to rebuild.When i got it built i remembered someone telling me about Ubuntu so i wanted to give it a try.I REALLY didn't want to go thru the whole XP activating thing again since i had all new parts in my system.So i am now running Ubuntu 9.04 desktop.I love it so far(way more than windows xp).My wife does alot of her school work online that sometimes requires IE.This concerns me a little.Any ideas on how to get around that?I really don't like microsoft now.:)

SunnyRabbiera
June 2nd, 2009, 07:35 AM
IE can be subverted, firstly you can try add ons for firefox such *** user agent switcher, or if its 100% needed there is the ies4lin project.

juancarlospaco
June 2nd, 2009, 07:40 AM
Install the plugins and addons for Forefox, Adobe Flash, Moonlight, etc.
If you need more Windows Software try installing PlayOnLinux.

clive littlewood
June 2nd, 2009, 07:44 AM
Hi and Welcome

I use Opera and FF browsers for all my internet work (including Banking) and have never come across an IE specific site,maybe just lucky !!!!

Clive

SunnyRabbiera
June 2nd, 2009, 07:45 AM
Another good optioon is to give WINE or crossover office a shot, although crossover isnt free it does work.

Delever
June 2nd, 2009, 05:27 PM
First, give a try with firefox.

If that does not work, get firefox plugin (user agent switcher) to mask firefox as IE.

If that does not work, get http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/page/Main_Page.