PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Moblin Remix Confirmed

ghindo
June 2nd, 2009, 05:37 AM
Computex, Taipei, June 2, 2009 – Today, Canonical announced support of Moblin, an optimized open source Linux software stack and application framework, by committing to the development of a product based on the recently released Moblin v2 for Intel® Atom™ processor-based platforms. Moblin v2 provides the core infrastructure, applications and user experience that Canonical will integrate into an Ubuntu-based product.http://www.ubuntu.com/news/canoical-commits-ubuntu-moblin

drawkcab
June 2nd, 2009, 05:41 AM
Nice!

floborg
June 2nd, 2009, 06:14 AM
So this is still the Atom-tailored Moblin, rather than the Clutter desktop environment?

Mr. Picklesworth
June 2nd, 2009, 06:45 AM
Moblin 2 does use the Clutter toolkit, floborg. And it is very pretty, on both the inside and the outside :)

dirtylobster
June 2nd, 2009, 08:47 AM
I don't really get the purpose of this. What's wrong with Moblin by itself?

handy
June 2nd, 2009, 09:27 AM
I think? It means that Canonical are looking at Moblin as the standard for Netbooks, rather than splitting Linux distro's up for the same job, they have chosen to focus on the best tool for the job.

I could of course be wrong. :)

drawkcab
June 2nd, 2009, 09:39 AM
Isn't moblin beta built on fedora now? I took it to mean that it would be developed atop ubuntu if this is correct.

dirtylobster
June 2nd, 2009, 10:07 AM
So... they're scrapping UNR and rebrand/fork Moblin?

gloscherrybomb
June 2nd, 2009, 10:17 AM
Only happy if it works on a 701.

gnomeuser
June 2nd, 2009, 11:28 AM
Isn't moblin beta built on fedora now? I took it to mean that it would be developed atop ubuntu if this is correct.

Moblin is based on a mix of Fedora and openSUSE, it is built using Novell' Open Build Service.

This means that Canonical will be porting over the patches, probably integrating what isn't yet upstream, and rolling their own Moblin like release. Just like openSUSE, Linpus and Xandros are doing. I believe Fedora will aim to upstream the work and then package the Moblin specific parts so users can install or roll their own Moblin based on Fedora.

Deamos
June 2nd, 2009, 12:03 PM
Very Very Awesome!

binbash
June 2nd, 2009, 01:10 PM
It is cool

floborg
June 3rd, 2009, 05:11 AM
Moblin 2 does use the Clutter toolkit, floborg. And it is very pretty, on both the inside and the outside :)

What I meant was "is this just like the vanilla Moblin, only able to run on certain Intel processors?"

Mr. Picklesworth
June 3rd, 2009, 05:18 AM
Well one issue with Moblin by itself as a distribution is that it doesn't have Ubuntu's more pragmatic model of including drivers for everyone out of the box. (Partly because current images straight from the Moblin project are previews). Ubuntu, on the other hand, doesn't mind the ugly Broadcom wifi adapters used in many netbooks.

Oh, and I for one am used to Ubuntu's layout of packages and have fallen in love with my list of installed packages (which I can clone onto a new machine by importing a simple package list, courtesy of dpkg and synaptic).

ghindo
June 3rd, 2009, 06:00 AM
Oh, and I for one am used to Ubuntu's layout of packages and have fallen in love with my list of installed packages (which I can clone onto a new machine by importing a simple package list, courtesy of dpkg and synaptic).Wow, that sounds cool. How do you do that?

monsterstack
June 3rd, 2009, 06:27 AM
Wow, that sounds cool. How do you do that?

I did this a few times. (Edit: but somebody else has a better way of doing it below.)

Still an entirely terminal-way of doing it is to run this on your old machine,

dpkg --get-selections > ~/installed-software.log

Then copy the file over to your new installation and run,

sudo dpkg --set-selections < ~/installed-software.log

That will tell dpkg of your must-get packages. The next thing to do is fire up "sudo dselect" (you might not have it installed) and choose option "i" to install your packages.

Mr. Picklesworth
June 3rd, 2009, 06:35 AM
I just fire up Synaptic, use File -> Save Markings As..., tell it to save the full state (although this regrettably breaks the tracking of autoinstalled packages, so dependant packages look like they were installed by you explicitly) and choose where to save.

Then in a new install I open up Synaptic, go to File -> Read Markings and it's done :)

monsterstack
June 3rd, 2009, 06:40 AM
I just fire up Synaptic, use File -> Save Markings As..., tell it to save the full state (although this regrettably breaks the tracking of autoinstalled packages, so dependant packages look like they were installed by you explicitly) and choose where to save.

Then in a new install I open up Synaptic, go to File -> Read Markings and it's done :)

That's much better than my method. Thanks. :)

ghindo
June 3rd, 2009, 07:16 AM

Then in a new install I open up Synaptic, go to File -> Read Markings and it's done :)Thanks!

omegamormegil
June 4th, 2009, 08:09 PM
From https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Specs/MobileKarmicMoblinRemix

An out-of-archive one-time remix of Ubuntu will be prepared including the identical set of software as the Moblin 2.0 Release for demonstration and comparison purposes. This is not expected to be an ongoing release series, but rather a means of experimenting with integration between the Moblin project and other software in Ubuntu.

Ubuntu Moblin Remix presents the Moblin interface and user experience on the solid base of Ubuntu 9.04, providing a platform for development and experimentation for those interested in the next generation of user interfaces for Mobile computing.

So according to that spec this will be a one time release for experimentation purposes only, in order to "better understand how the Moblin software can improve Ubuntu". Sounds like the Moblin interface is just being added onto an Ubuntu backend.

Of course, I imagine this experiment could cause bits of Moblin to be permanently integrated into an ongoing Ubuntu release - perhaps Ubuntu Netbook Remix?