PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Can gnomenu launcher be added to cairo-dock?

upptown
June 1st, 2009, 10:59 PM
Done several google searches and forum searches but haven't seen any info on launching gnomenu from cairo-dock. Any ideas?

fabounet
June 2nd, 2009, 03:28 PM
did you try the GMenu applet ? it puts the Applications Menu into your dock.
dunno if it's what you want.

Feelin_froggy8877
June 2nd, 2009, 04:07 PM
its in the desktop section of cario-dock settings

Cuco3
December 7th, 2009, 10:04 AM
I think he meant GnoMenu, not GMenu. I'm also looking for a way to replace GMenu with GnoMenu in cairo-dock if anybody knows how.

Whise
December 7th, 2009, 03:00 PM
since version 2.1 GnoMenu can be launched from cairo-dock, just make shure you enable cairo-dock's dbus plugin

fabounet
December 7th, 2009, 10:13 PM
could you please provide a way to do this ?
It could be interesting for many people I think.
Thanks !

Whise
December 8th, 2009, 02:56 PM
just install GnoMenu (version 2.1), then just go to cairo/dock preferences, activate the dbus plugin, restart cairo dock, go to the preferences again and gnomenu will be in the desklets section

fabounet
December 8th, 2009, 04:28 PM
oh ok, nice, I didn't know they made an external applet for the dock !
thanks for the tip and thanks to them ^_^

Whise
December 8th, 2009, 05:05 PM
since im the lead developer of gnomenu , i thank you for your thanks )

Cuco3
December 14th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Whise: I'm using Gnomenu 2.1 but can't seem to find where the setting is for Gnomenu in Cairo.

Here's what I do.

1. Enabled D-Bus in Cairo.
2. Restart Cairo.
3. Go To Cairo-Dock > Configure
4. Go to Appearance > Desklets

but there's nothing there for Gnomenu. Am I missing something? I'm using Cairo-Dock 2.1.2-1

I've looked all around Cairo-Dock, even filtered using the string "gno", and nothing appears for gnomenu.

Thanks for your help and for helping make Gnomenu.

fabounet
December 14th, 2009, 02:31 PM
the "Deslkets" lets you configure the appearance of desklets.
Here the Gnomenu applet is probably in another category, like Accessories, Desktop or Controllers.

Cuco3
December 14th, 2009, 02:36 PM
the "Deslkets" lets you configure the appearance of desklets.
Here the Gnomenu applet is probably in another category, like Accessories, Desktop or Controllers.I've looked around everywhere in Cairo-Dock, even filtered using the string "gno", but nothing for Gnomenu appears.

Whise
December 14th, 2009, 08:14 PM
step by step.

Install GnoMenu version > 2.1

Start Cairo dock
Open cairo dock preferences
Goto Plugins
Enable Dbus Plugin
Restart Cairo Dock
GnoMenu should be visible in the desklet section
If not make shure the dbus plugin is enabled (sometimes it screws up)

Cuco3
December 14th, 2009, 11:05 PM
I followed your instructions to the tee, Whise, but nothing. I appreciate your help, though.

Maybe I should file a bug report or wait for a new version to come out? I'm pretty sure this has something to do with Cairo-Dock and the DBus plug in rather than Gnomenu. I wish there were other DBus programs that I could test out to make sure that's the culprit.

Cuco3
December 14th, 2009, 11:56 PM
I even went an added the Cairo-Dock team's PPA to my Software Sources, got the latest Cairo-Dock (2.1.2-4), but no results.

gkantun
December 15th, 2009, 12:54 AM
Here is my workaround:

Download the files GnoMenu, GnoMenu.conf and icon from
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~gnomenu-team/gnomenu/trunk/files/203/src/share/cairo-dock/third-party/GnoMenu/

In
~/.config/cairo-dock/
create a folder named third-party

In
~/.config/cairo-dock/third-party
create a folder named GnoMenu

Copy the three downloaded files to
~/.config/cairo-dock/third-party/GnoMenu

Don't forget to set the appropiate permissions to the file GnoMenu.

Execute in the terminal

cd ~/.config/cairo-dock/third-party/GnoMenu
./GnoMenu

The GnoMenu item should appear in the Accessories section of the preferences.

Cuco3
December 15th, 2009, 01:11 AM
Here is my workaround:

Download the files GnoMenu, GnoMenu.conf and icon from
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~gnomenu-team/gnomenu/trunk/files/203/src/share/cairo-dock/third-party/GnoMenu/ (http://bazaar.launchpad.net/%7Egnomenu-team/gnomenu/trunk/files/203/src/share/cairo-dock/third-party/GnoMenu/)
In
~/.config/cairo-dock/
create a folder named third-party
In
~/.config/cairo-dock/third-party
create a folder named GnoMenu
Copy the three downloaded files to
~/.config/cairo-dock/third-party/GnoMenu
Don't forget to set the appropiate permissions to the file GnoMenu.
Execute in the terminal

cd ~/.config/cairo-dock/third-party/GnoMenu
./GnoMenu

The GnoMenu item should appear in the Accessories section of the preferences.Thanks, but what are the appropriate permissions? Here's what I have;

drwxr-xr-x 2 alex alex 4096 2009-12-14 19:04 GnoMenuThose permissions are recursive throughout the GnoMenu folder

***edit*** OK, got it to work. Thanks.

Only two weird things:
1) when you click the GnoMenu icon, the menu appears in the middle.
2) when Cairo-Dock is restarted, the GnoMenu is gone. I have to go to the Cairo-Dock preferences and re-enable it.

If it's of any use, here's the output of ./GnoMenu

>>> registering our applet...
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "./GnoMenu", line 303, in <module>
applet_share_data_dir)
File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/dbus/proxies.py", line 68, in __call__
return self._proxy_method(*args, **keywords)
File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/dbus/proxies.py", line 140, in __call__
**keywords)
File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/dbus/connection.py", line 622, in call_blocking
message, timeout)
dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.GLib.UnmappedError.GTypePriva teGTypeFlags.Code1: applet GnoMenu has been registered, but is not wanted by the user.

gkantun
December 15th, 2009, 01:25 AM
Executing permissions.

-rwxr-xr-x 1 kantun kantun 9445 2009-12-14 17:13 GnoMenu

Cuco3
December 15th, 2009, 01:27 AM
Executing permissions.

-rwxr-xr-x 1 kantun kantun 9445 2009-12-14 17:13 GnoMenuYeah, that's what I got.

Does your menu appear in the middle when you click the GnoMenu icon?

And do you have to restart the GnoMenu everytime you close Cairo?

gkantun
December 15th, 2009, 03:19 AM
Maybe you need to set writing permission for the file GnoMenu.conf, "when I restarted, the GnoMenu was still there".

By the way, the menu appears in the middle.

Cuco3
December 15th, 2009, 11:11 AM
Maybe you need to set writing permission for the file GnoMenu.conf, "when I restarted, the GnoMenu was still there".Here are my permissions. Gonna try changing it to 777 to see if that works.
ls -l .config/cairo-dock/third-party/GnoMenu/
total 20
-rwxr-xr-x 1 alex alex 9445 2009-12-14 19:04 GnoMenu
-rwxr-xr-x 1 alex alex 2705 2009-12-14 19:03 GnoMenu.conf
-rwxr-xr-x 1 alex alex 3454 2009-12-14 19:04 icon*edit* tried it out, but nothing. It's ok, GnoMenu stays on after logoff/shutdown; it's only when I manually close Cairo-Dock that Gnomenu has to be re-enabled.
By the way, the menu appears in the middle.Maybe in the future they'll have it so it stays on top of the Gnomenu icon. Not complaining though, I love Gnomenu!

Thanks for everyone's help. I appreciate it.

Whise
December 15th, 2009, 03:57 PM
its opens in the middle because i dont know how i can find the applet position in the dock, so i set it to the middle, if someone knows how to get the applet x please let me know

fabounet
December 15th, 2009, 05:54 PM
isn't it possible to just pop-up on the mouse ?
because when you click on the launcher, the mouse is on it, so if you know the mouse position on the screen, you know the icon's position ;-)

Whise
December 15th, 2009, 06:15 PM
its not possible yet because i cannot access the applet window, since gnomenu applet and gnomenu window run independently (this is good because it allows me to create applets for other docks, panels easily) i cannot access mouse position without the applet window (in orther to get that mouse event), however im working on it, any input on this would be nice)

Example:
In awn i can get events for the applet window therefore i can get mouse events, but in awn i dont need that because awnlib also provides applet position
In cairo dock everything is done thought dbus, that way i get a limited ammount of information, however since i dont know all cairo-dock dbus calls i may be missing something

fabounet
December 16th, 2009, 12:08 PM
I think it's possible to know the position of the mouse on the root window (independantly of your window, or even if you don't have any window)
which would solve your problem. :-)

Whise
December 16th, 2009, 07:31 PM
yes, thats the alternative im considering, im not shure if its going to work as expected though, thanks for your input

fabounet
December 17th, 2009, 10:25 AM
you can use for instance

gdk_display_get_pointer (GdkDisplay *display,
GdkScreen **screen,
gint *x,
gint *y, GdkModifierType *mask
);

and then pop-up the menu on (x,y)

Whise
December 18th, 2009, 10:31 PM
Cairo dock instalation has been fixed in gnomenu 2.2.1 , also now it centers on your mouse click :)

Cuco3
December 19th, 2009, 12:30 AM
Thanks, Whise!

I tried doing "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade" but the new gnomenu doesn't install. I double checked my software sources and the PPA for Gnomenu is there. I'm currently using Gnomenu 2.1

Anybody else having the same problem?

I'd rather go through aptitude rather than downloading the source and compiling it.

Whise
December 19th, 2009, 10:00 PM
the pppa needs updating , there is a gnomenu package in getdeb , however i advise you to wait for 2.2.2 that is currently behing uploaded because 2.2.1 has a bug, or install the tarball that is very simple

Cuco3
December 19th, 2009, 11:48 PM
I double checked my sources.list with the PPA on the Gnomenu-Team site, and both are identical. :confused: or did you mean it needs updating on the Gnomenu-Team's end? I'm guessing the latter.

*edit* I updated via source and it went smooth. I know you're busy, but I'll just mention that Gnomenu still displays the menu in the middle. I'm gonna try gkantun's method for manually installing the menu into Cairo-Dock to see if that fixes it.

On a side note, it seems you fixed the flickering images when navigating the gnomenu, which is a huge plus!

*edit* running gkantun's fix works! GnoMenu 2.2.2 is awesome.

Cuco3
December 20th, 2009, 02:11 AM
Anyone know of a way to change the text color of the menu? For example, in the Glass theme, the menu fonts are black, which makes it impossible to read what the text that's on the glass part if using a non-white wallpaper.

nevermind, just noticed that you can go to /usr/share/gnomenu/Themes/menu then pick a theme folder, switch to it, and edit it's "themedata.xml" using sudo nano.

fabounet
January 13th, 2010, 12:02 AM
Hi,
I had to make some changes to the DBus API, to optimize the loading of the external applets.
I'm afraid it has somewhat broken the way applets are loaded into the dock.
The changes are effective from Cairo-Dock 2.1.3, which is currently in the release process.

Since I'm faulty here, I've rewritten the GnoMenu applet to make it compliant with the new version of CD (and at the same time, I've cleant te code too)
Here are the complete files, hope this reduces the disturbance ^_^
tarball (http://dl.free.fr/tpcZGEpsB)

Cuco3
January 18th, 2010, 09:48 PM
The option for Gnomenu doesn't appear in the Cairo-Dock configuration and, needless to say, Gnomenu doesn't work for Cairo-Dock any more. :(

This refers to the new Cairo-Dock update version 2.1.3.

Hi,
I had to make some changes to the DBus API, to optimize the loading of the external applets.
I'm afraid it has somewhat broken the way applets are loaded into the dock.
The changes are effective from Cairo-Dock 2.1.3, which is currently in the release process.

Since I'm faulty here, I've rewritten the GnoMenu applet to make it compliant with the new version of CD (and at the same time, I've cleant te code too)
Here are the complete files, hope this reduces the disturbance ^_^
tarball (http://dl.free.fr/tpcZGEpsB)What should we do with the files inside here?

fabounet
January 19th, 2010, 12:42 AM
just extract them into ~/.config/cairo-dock/third-party
(create the folder if it doesn't exist yet).

then restart the DBus applet, and reopen the config panel to activate the Gnomenu applet.

Cuco3
January 21st, 2010, 10:47 PM
Hmm... I did as you said (copy GnoMenu folder to ~/.config/cairo-dock/third-party , restart DBus, close-open cairo-dock control panel) but GnoMenu doesn't work. The icon appears in Cairo-Dock control panel and in the dock, but when I click on the GnoMenu icon, nothing happens. I even closed Cairo-Dock.

fabounet
January 22nd, 2010, 12:18 AM
it does work for me (the first launch of Gnomenu takes few seconds though, I guess it has to load its stuff)

Here is what I get in the terminal when I click on the icon

cd_dbus_applet_emit_on_click_icon (GnoMenu, 272)
emit clic on main icon
cd_dbus_applet_get (x)
cd_dbus_applet_get (y)
x, y, orient: 1228 977 0
show

Cuco3
January 22nd, 2010, 10:33 PM
Nevermind I just followed gkantun's advice (again). Pretty funny this guy knows the program better than the programmers. ;)

rahilm
January 26th, 2010, 07:37 AM
i have a dumb question.how to enable the dbus plugin?, because i don't seem to have it..

fabounet
January 26th, 2010, 10:14 AM
it's in the "plug-ins" section of the config panel (at the bottom)

rahilm
January 26th, 2010, 11:28 AM
it's in the "plug-ins" section of the config panel (at the bottom)
here's a screenshot of my config panel i don't see any dbus

fabounet
January 26th, 2010, 04:50 PM
indeed, you also don't have the Switcher
I guess this is an old version (the one in the Ubuntu repository ?)
you need 2.1.3 go get external applets like Gnomenu.

rahilm
January 26th, 2010, 06:20 PM
hurrayy!!!
i've installed the latest cairo-dock from the ppa and it is working like charm..
except from the fact that whenever i start cairo-dock , the computer logouts automatically and that i cannot start vlc anymore..
wow what a dock!!

rahilm
January 26th, 2010, 06:29 PM
i am now using indriect rendering mode. it is working. but when i do ./GnoMenu as explained in the tutorial i get:

File ".config/cairo-dock/third-party/GnoMenu/GnoMenu", line 303, in <module>
applet_share_data_dir)
File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/dbus/proxies.py", line 68, in __call__
File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/dbus/proxies.py", line 140, in __call__
**keywords)
File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/dbus/connection.py", line 620, in call_blocking
message, timeout)
dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod: Method "RegisterNewModule" with signature "ssssis" on interface "org.cairodock.CairoDock" doesn't exist

fabounet
January 27th, 2010, 10:48 AM
you don't have to do anything, the dock will do it for you !
just extract my tarball to the third-party folder, then deactivate/reactivate the DBus applet to make it reload the external applets, then re-open the config panel, you will see the new applet there. Activate it, and you're done :)

PS : what tutorial are you talking about ? it's probably outdated with the new version.

rahilm
January 27th, 2010, 11:33 AM
thanks...its working now
but i have to add it everytime i start the dock!

fabounet
January 27th, 2010, 04:28 PM
yep, it has been fixed 2 days ago :D
the weelky package already contains the fix.

rahilm
January 27th, 2010, 05:52 PM
how do i change the icon on dock to that of the button icon of gnomenu?

fabounet
January 28th, 2010, 12:13 PM
you can do that like for any launcher/applet, right click on it -> configure this applet

xx58
January 28th, 2010, 01:45 PM
:rolleyes: Good

rahilm
January 28th, 2010, 07:25 PM
you can do that like for any launcher/applet, right click on it -> configure this applet
i mean the button icons used in the themes...on gnome-look.org

oakgrove
February 6th, 2010, 03:31 AM
I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I have Cairo-dock version 2.1.3-1 and Gnomenu version 2.3. I copied the three files, GnoMenu, GnoMenu.conf and icon from
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~gnomenu...party/GnoMenu/, placed them in ~/.config/cairo-dock/third-party/GnoMenu, and chmodded GnoMenu +x. I then made sure that dbus was checked in my cairo-dock settings and even made sure all of the options were checked inside of that. I restarted cairo-dock multiple times, restarted the computer, and Gnomenu is never even in my settings anywhere. When I try to run the Gnomenu command in my config directory, I get:

nate@e8400:~/.config/cairo-dock/third-party/GnoMenu$ ./GnoMenu
File "./GnoMenu", line 303, in <module>
applet_share_data_dir)
File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/dbus/proxies.py", line 68, in __call__
File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/dbus/proxies.py", line 140, in __call__
**keywords)
File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/dbus/connection.py", line 620, in call_blocking
message, timeout)
dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod: Method "RegisterNewModule" with signature "ssssis" on interface "org.cairodock.CairoDock" doesn't exist

I know that Gnomenu works because I can add it to gnome-panel, run it from the tray, etc. and it works fine. I tried searching for gnomenu with the "filter" in cairo-dock to no avail so I know it isn't there.

Where am I messing up?

fabounet
February 6th, 2010, 01:02 PM
I think you need Gnomenu 2.4

oakgrove
February 6th, 2010, 09:30 PM
I think you need Gnomenu 2.4

Excellent. Works like a charm now. Thanks.

KernelKnight
March 26th, 2010, 01:51 AM
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I have both the newest version of cairo-dock and GnoMenu, and I have followed the instructions, but it still does not show up. What permissions apart from a+x should I add to the GnoMenu file? I get the same message as oakgrove when I run the command.

[edit]
Nevermind. I got it.