PDA

View Full Version : Is your son a computer hacker?

Pages : [1] 2

BWF89
November 28th, 2004, 11:56 PM
http://www.adequacy.org/public/stories/2001.12.2.42056.2147.html

I was very offended by this article. According to this person I fit EVERY catagory of being a hacker (except playing Quake)...

az
November 29th, 2004, 12:17 AM
It is obvious that this is a satirical page!

MoveZig
November 29th, 2004, 12:25 AM
this guy has no idea what hes talking about.

he thinks linus is a "Soviet computer hacker" and that mandrake is an "illegal hacker operation system!"

this just makes me laugh.

KenLin
November 29th, 2004, 12:27 AM
:lol: My favorite sentence:

Popular hacker software includes "Comet Cursor", "Bonzi Buddy" and "Flash".

adbak
November 29th, 2004, 03:11 AM
Popular hacker software includes "Comet Cursor", "Bonzi Buddy" and "Flash".

Aye, that is may favorite quote too. Although I also enjoy how AMD processors supposedly aren't sold in stores and how video cards "help" hacking.

The author is obviously full of it, but whether he/she intended this to be satirical or a true warning to other parents I can't tell. Either way there's very little truth that can be distilled to his/her claims.

BWF89
November 29th, 2004, 03:45 AM
I'm not sure if it's a joke. Just read some of their other articles on GNU Linux...

oddabe19
November 29th, 2004, 05:55 AM
Popular hacker software includes "Comet Cursor", "Bonzi Buddy" and "Flash"

WTF? obviously this guy has NO clue what he's talking about. Comet Cursor Bonzi Buddy are all Spyware/ Adware things.... that you can get rid of...

You need flash to see movies, animations, etc...

wtf....

HAHAHA

8. Is your son obsessed with "Lunix"?

BSD, Lunix, Debian and Mandrake are all versions of an illegal hacker operation system, invented by a Soviet computer hacker named Linyos Torovoltos, before the Russians lost the Cold War. It is based on a program called "xenix", which was written by Microsoft for the US government. These programs are used by hackers to break into other people's computer systems to steal credit card numbers. They may also be used to break into people's stereos to steal their music, using the "mp3" program. Torovoltos is a notorious hacker, responsible for writing many hacker programs, such as "telnet", which is used by hackers to connect to machines on the internet without using a telephone.

hahaha, he can't even spell linux... or Linus... or even get where linus is from right...

Not to mention, IT"S LEGAL DUMBA**

costoa
November 29th, 2004, 06:16 AM
Adequacy.org is a strange place. While real news is discussed trust nothing they say. Great site though. Some of my favorite lines:

There are, unfortunately, many hacking manuals available in bookshops today. A few titles to be on the lookout for are: "Snow Crash" and "Cryptonomicon" by Neal Stephenson; "Neuromancer" by William Gibson; "Programming with Perl" by Timothy O'Reilly; "Geeks" by Jon Katz; "The Hacker Crackdown" by Bruce Sterling; "Microserfs" by Douglas Coupland; "Hackers" by Steven Levy; and "The Cathedral and the Bazaar" by Eric S. Raymond.

If you find any of these hacking manuals in your child's possession, confiscate them immediately. You should also petition local booksellers to remove these titles from their shelves. You may meet with some resistance at first, but even booksellers have to bow to community pressure.

I love it. "Hacking" books that should be banned from "your local bookstore".

BSD, Lunix, Debian and Mandrake are all versions of an illegal hacker operation system, invented by a Soviet computer hacker named Linyos Torovoltos, before the Russians lost the Cold War. It is based on a program called "xenix", which was written by Microsoft for the US government. These programs are used by hackers to break into other people's computer systems to steal credit card numbers. They may also be used to break into people's stereos to steal their music, using the "mp3" program. Torovoltos is a notorious hacker, responsible for writing many hacker programs, such as "telnet", which is used by hackers to connect to machines on the internet without using a telephone.

Your son may try to install "lunix" on your hard drive. If he is careful, you may not notice its presence, however, lunix is a capricious beast, and if handled incorrectly, your son may damage your computer, and even break it completely by deleting Windows, at which point you will have to have your computer repaired by a professional.

"Soviet computer hacker named Linyos Torovoltos"? Oh, that sold me on this being a joke. Very clever and well written.

So, it's joke. A very funny joke (I'm still laughing), but still a joke so enjoy it. BTW, "Snow Crash" started me on my life of crime. =)

jayclark
November 29th, 2004, 07:14 AM
I'm pretty sure its a joke (or at least I hope so) but I know people who think Linux is just a hacking tool. Not for sure why.

r_a_trip
November 29th, 2004, 08:45 AM
Adequacy.org is one of the weirdest sites I've ever encountered. I'm still puzzling if it is meant to be a joke or not. I hope it is a joke and I hope others are smarter than me in determining that.

If it's not a joke than these people are either unknowledgable, misguided fanatics or knowledgable and dangerous manipulators. All articles are very pro-establisment, pro-christian family values from the 19th century.

Joke or not, I hope no one has to suffer from it. I don't know how gullible parents are these days, but I cringe at the idea that some brilliant kid might get "siberia" at home for just wanting to explore computer programming.

oddabe19
November 29th, 2004, 05:12 PM
Adequacy.org is one of the weirdest sites I've ever encountered. I'm still puzzling if it is meant to be a joke or not. I hope it is a joke and I hope others are smarter than me in determining that.

If it's not a joke than these people are either unknowledgable, misguided fanatics or knowledgable and dangerous manipulators. All articles are very pro-establisment, pro-christian family values from the 19th century.

Joke or not, I hope no one has to suffer from it. I don't know how gullible parents are these days, but I cringe at the idea that some brilliant kid might get "siberia" at home for just wanting to explore computer programming.
if you are still debating whether or not it's a joke.... My parents would probably actually believe it (since they only know how to send e-mail)... so there's the possibility that it's real and the guy had no knowlege whatsoever in his puny head.

jakeslife
December 16th, 2004, 06:59 AM
This is probably one of the most hilarious things I've ever read. I wouldn't feel sorry for him, I would feel sorry for his children.

When I came out to my mother as gay, automatically I worshipped the devil in rituals involving sex and blood, I was addicted to hardcore drugs and prostituting myself for them, and I was a pedophile. Of course people will always fill in the blanks (which he refers to as "research"). His children are going to learn more than just what is right and what is wrong and moral and immoral--they will see it from his point of view. This kind of imprinting in children is horrible.

I never knew that you could adequately train to use firearms in Quake! Why should I bother attending training with instructors teaching me to use Glocks, Sigs, MP-5's, and AR-15's in life-threatening situations, when I could be at home training to use rocket launchers and nail guns? Epiphany!

I think this guy is a lot like the mother from The Waterboy...

"AMD is the debil!"

protocol
December 16th, 2004, 04:07 PM
I really pitty people like that. I don't even bother with people like this who have no technological intillect what so ever. Hmm... I wonder to myself how many flame mails he's gotten already...

Just please look at this... PLEASE

Computer hackers are often limited by conventional computer hardware. They may request "faster" video cards, and larger hard drives, or even more memory. If your son starts requesting these devices, it is possible that he has a legitimate need. You can best ensure that you are buying legal, trustworthy hardware by only buying replacement parts from your computer's manufacturer.

If your son has requested a new "processor" from a company called "AMD", this is genuine cause for alarm. AMD is a third-world based company who make inferior, "knock-off" copies of American processor chips. They use child labor extensively in their third world sweatshops, and they deliberately disable the security features that American processor makers, such as Intel, use to prevent hacking. AMD chips are never sold in stores, and you will most likely be told that you have to order them from internet sites. Do not buy this chip! This is one request that you must refuse your son, if you are to have any hope of raising him well.

Sad... SAD I tell ya! .... but then again... you guys could notice that the article is fake hehehe

inha
December 16th, 2004, 07:26 PM
If anyone thinks that's not a joke he has reading comprehension issues. That's obvious parody.

gheorghe_pop
December 16th, 2004, 08:04 PM
Realy nice!
:)
I also love the Pool.

ploum
December 16th, 2004, 08:07 PM
"If your son spends more than thirty minutes each day on the computer, he may be using it to DOS other peoples sites. DOSing involves gaining access to the "command prompt" on other people's machines"

:-D

BWF89
December 16th, 2004, 10:01 PM
On some days I spend 160 minutes on the computer JUST AT SCHOOL...

-40 minutes in the math lab
-40 minutes on the library computers (ok, it's more like goofing off visiting Linux websites)
-40 minutes in my Visual Basic.NET class
-40 minutes in my Typing class

jakeslife
December 16th, 2004, 10:03 PM
You are, of course, evil then.

tleroy
December 17th, 2004, 01:28 PM
I think the ter hacker is one of the mist abused and misunderstood computing terms there is.

This article describes how I now view hacking:

http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html.

With lots of work, and some luck, maybe someday a real hacker will be able to call me one! One can only hope. :)

BWF89
December 17th, 2004, 04:33 PM
I think the ter hacker is one of the mist abused and misunderstood computing terms there is.
I ALWAYS use the correct terms. Whenever I'm watching the news and they talk about this new virus that's coming out I always refer to them as crackers...

One question about hackers. Is hacker just another name for a programmer or is it a programmer who doesn't work for a company?

arafel
December 17th, 2004, 07:40 PM
[QUOTE=BWF89]http://www.adequacy.org/public/stories/2001.12.2.42056.2147.html

Neither; instead, you realise that it's a joke, and you laugh. ;-)

hernia
December 19th, 2004, 10:29 AM
I just wet myself and added to the smell that identifies me as a hacker.

Deviant.
April 27th, 2006, 03:35 AM
http://www.mit.edu/hacker/hacker.html

This is one of the "Hacker" manuals he describes.
It's a story, a historical step-by-step progression of the hacker phenomenon, not a manual.

It's a good read, interesting if you grew up later like I did.

BWF89
April 27th, 2006, 04:27 AM
How did find this thread? Did you go to the list of all the threads I have made and clicked on one of the last pages or was it by doing a random search and it just came up?

Sheinar
April 27th, 2006, 04:49 AM
Haha, great article. The "invented by a Soviet computer hacker named Linyos Torovoltos, before the Russians lost the Cold War." part put a huge smile on my face, though the article overall was pretty awesome.

Christmas
April 27th, 2006, 06:01 AM
It was indended to be satirical but that guy is not funny at all, the jokes are forced and they definitely are lacking salt. The Microsoft and Windows related articles are very funny. It is stupid to make fun about Linux...

bb002
April 27th, 2006, 07:26 AM
That article was great! I read that article, then read some of the comments. None of the comments i read noticed the guy completely butchered Linus' name. "Linyos Torovoltos"? One the off chance this guy happened to be serious, I want whatever he's smoking :) he screwed up everything there was to screw up in that article...

benplaut
April 27th, 2006, 08:30 AM
yeah... i read this a few months ago

still funny as hell, though :D

Cyril
April 27th, 2006, 08:54 AM
Actually this ariticle is quite old although it may have been updated. I've read it several years ago. And although I can't remember from which source I got this from, the author has confirmed it to be a joke.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2002/01/11/is_your_son_a_computer/

WebDrake
April 27th, 2006, 11:42 AM
hahaha, he can't even spell linux... or Linus... or even get where linus is from right...
That is because the article is very obviously a ****-TAKE. And you fell for it. :KS

See also:
Richard M. Stallman: Portrait of a Pirate Hacker (http://www.adequacy.org/public/stories/2001.12.29.95736.251.html)
Adequacy Interview with Linus Torvalds (http://www.adequacy.org/public/stories/2002.8.22.19222.9656.html)

tc10b
April 28th, 2006, 12:47 PM
This is obviously a parody, you can tell from the first few lines.

"As an enlightened, modern parent, I try to be as involved as possible in the lives of my six children. I encourage them to join team sports. I attend their teen parties with them to ensure no drinking or alcohol is on the premises. I keep a fatherly eye on the CDs they listen to and the shows they watch, the company they keep and the books they read. You could say I'm a model parent. My children have never failed to make me proud, and I can say without the slightest embellishment that I have the finest family in the USA."

This in itself is a satirical view on how organisations such as the Church, Government etc. say we should raise our children. It is designed to be narrow minded to poke fun at how narrow minded some real people can be about these sorts of things.

tc10b
April 28th, 2006, 01:03 PM
"BSD, Lunix, Debian and Mandrake are all versions of an illegal hacker operation system, invented by a Soviet computer hacker"

If you click the link on "Soviet Computer Hacker" it takes you to the Goldeneye website where it shows you a picture of Boris from the film.

Lol

tribaal
April 28th, 2006, 01:10 PM
The same site has lots of fun stuff though.

My favorite (http://www.adequacy.org/public/stories/2001.11.26.101258.24.html)

;)

- trib'

JoshHendo
April 28th, 2006, 01:22 PM
ROFL

That is the funniest things I have read for ages :/...

I would like to know how many parents fell for it :P. Mine wouldn't (my dads a programer, and owns some of the "hacking" books :P), though there are some that may :).

Dragonbite
April 28th, 2006, 03:12 PM
I like his use of Brady Bunch names for his "6 kids" and wife!

randomnote1
May 2nd, 2006, 04:47 AM
This is by far the most entertaining read I've had in a long time. I'm sending this to my parents to see what they have to say!

YourSurrogateGod
May 2nd, 2006, 05:59 AM
If I had a kid and he turned into a hacker, I'd buy him a new computer every year (and no, not some cheap dell desktop.)

YourSurrogateGod
May 2nd, 2006, 06:03 AM
The article has to be a joke, I doubt that it can't be one.

briancurtin
May 2nd, 2006, 06:07 AM
The article has to be a joke, I doubt that it can't be one.
have you read any posts in this thread?

psychicdragon
May 2nd, 2006, 10:45 AM
Wow, I love it. Years after the site shut down, people are still getting trolled.

Anyone who's never read Adecuacy before should definately take some time to look around. The Linux Zealot (http://adequacy.org/public/stories/2002.4.4.171525.1527.html) comic strip would probably be of particular interest to a lot of people here.

Dark Reverand
August 31st, 2006, 07:36 PM
I just read this article for the first time.... This guy seems to have Ravers and Japan-fanatics (Otakus) confused with hackers.... and not to mention hackers confused with crackers..... anyway.. it was funny as hell to ready

insane_alien
August 31st, 2006, 07:59 PM
my parents read this and believed it(a while ago, the have since been educated). i was banned from the computer for months until i could prove it to them.

subpar
August 31st, 2006, 08:25 PM
"If your son spends more than thirty minutes each day on the computer, he may be using it to DOS other peoples sites."

Oh man. I can spend up to a good 6 hours straight on the computer. I better stop, I had no clue I was DOSing.

ComplexNumber
August 31st, 2006, 08:36 PM
"If your son spends more than thirty minutes each day on the computer, he may be using it to DOS other peoples sites."

Oh man. I can spend up to a good 6 hours straight on the computer. I better stop, I had no clue I was DOSing.
i'm worried too :D. perhaps i'm sleep-DOSing every night without even knowing it.

Brunellus
August 31st, 2006, 09:06 PM
A quick skim of the article reveals the author to be someone who would soil him/herself at the sight of an 80-column video terminal.

Dinerty
August 31st, 2006, 09:30 PM
lol that website deserves a bookmark, so when I'm all bored and in need of a laugh I know where to turn.

Popular hacker software includes "Comet Cursor", "Bonzi Buddy" and "Flash"

You learn something new everyday

Computer hackers are often limited by conventional computer hardware. They may request "faster" video cards, and larger hard drives, or even more memory.

So everytime I upgrade one of my boxes I'm becoming a more efficent hacker :=\

If your son has requested a new "processor" from a company called "AMD", this is genuine cause for alarm

Might need to send mine back then :(

If your son spends more than thirty minutes each day on the computer, he may be using it to DOS other peoples sites

This statement was nearly as good as "Popular hacker software includes ...

If your son has undergone a sudden change in his style of dress, you may have a hacker on your hands

LOL, Christ I could listen to this guy go on all day, must be a proffessional comedian

atrus123
August 31st, 2006, 09:33 PM
Ahhh, haha!

It's got to be a joke, and a pretty damn funny one at that.

jperez
August 31st, 2006, 10:13 PM
My mother's 57 and when she heard about it, she laughed and called him a stupid, ignorant fool! My mother has used Windows and she will be using Linux soon. Look like she'll become a hacker just like me. :cool:

Also, by this guys article, it seems that every kid in the Boy's & Girl's Club is a hacker for using "Flash" and working off the network instead using AOL. Wow...

Jesse~

%hMa@?b<C
August 31st, 2006, 10:17 PM
my parents read this and believed it(a while ago, the have since been educated). i was banned from the computer for months until i could prove it to them.
wow, your parents actually believed that. Must be because they knew so much about Lunix, and maybe you had a very fast video card. You know how important graphics are when trying to bruteforce somebodys box!:---)

BWF89
August 31st, 2006, 10:17 PM
I can't believe I was stupid enough back in 2004 to believe that was a real article. And I also can't believe people keep bumping a thread I made back in 2004.

Anonii
August 31st, 2006, 10:21 PM
After reading this thread, I wonder who is the pathetic.
You have been trolled -_-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trolltalk

jperez
August 31st, 2006, 10:43 PM
Well, I feel like a fool. I should have known. I considered him a troll before I even saw the Wikipedia posting.

Jesse~

Polygon
September 1st, 2006, 12:30 AM
ive seen this article before, its obviously a joke from the way he spells names like linuoso torvoldos or something, the author is obviously not serious.

jpeddicord
September 1st, 2006, 01:15 AM
The fact that "More stories about Internet Idiocy" is on the sidebar proves it fake.

thinklife
December 2nd, 2006, 06:16 AM
I think its a joke beacause he managed to spell linux correctly in another of his stories.LOL.

December 2nd, 2006, 07:34 AM
come on guys don't be afraid of what you are hehe.. hackers!

patrick295767
December 2nd, 2006, 11:31 AM
It is obvious that this is a satirical page!

Indeed, you are right. This is really insane webpage that could be against human rights for this son under heaviest pressure of the parents. I cant imagine such education.

indeed; that a satirical page, it looks to be

shoagun
December 12th, 2006, 01:45 AM
I'm not sure if this should be in the backyard, but I'll start it here. Anyway, I'm just curious about hacking. I am not a hacker. On occasion I have found a work around to an intentionally placed barrier, but in all cases it was very trivial. I was wondering how many people on the forum do any "real" hacking. For people who respond, the main questions I have are:

Do you do any hacking?
For you, what does hacking entail?
How/Why did you start?
How did you learn?

PriceChild
December 12th, 2006, 01:51 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hacker_%28disambiguation%29

This is usually mistaken for someone that performs malicious or illegal tasks using a computer.Yes I can hack a bit... but not in the way you thought.

EDIT.

90% of the people you'll hear telling you they can "hack", are 13 y o kids pretending they're about to kill your computer from where they're sat because its "cool".

BOBSONATOR
December 12th, 2006, 01:56 AM
1. Hacking, well im not a dark hacker that KILLS SERVERS ZOMG... all i do is need internet.

2.All i do is hack WEP WPA Keys, (free internet)

3. Why did i start? to get free internet @ sbucks, and otherplaces.

4. I learned at aircrack-ng.org

Lord Illidan
December 12th, 2006, 02:02 AM
What I did was bypass content filter at school!

mcduck
December 12th, 2006, 02:03 AM
hacking maybe, but definitely no cracking ;)

beercz
December 12th, 2006, 02:08 AM
Yes!

To devise solutions/workrounds to problems I encounter from time to time.

Do I crack? Nooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

shoagun
December 12th, 2006, 02:13 AM
Yes I can hack a bit... but not in the way you thought.

EDIT.

90% of the people you'll hear telling you they can "hack", are 13 y o kids pretending they're about to kill your computer from where they're sat because its "cool".

haha, good point. Interesting article, too. I don't mind leaving the question open to interpretation.

Kernel Sanders
December 12th, 2006, 02:20 AM
Everyone who says no is blatently lying, particularly as we all know that Linux is just an internationally recognised hack tool, fighting against free democratic governments around the world, and hastening societies moral decay! Muhahahahahaah! :twisted:

..........or not!

PriceChild
December 12th, 2006, 02:33 AM
Everyone who says no is blatently lying, particularly as we all know that Linux is just an internationally recognised hack tool, fighting against free democratic governments around the world, and hastening societies moral decay! Muhahahahahaah! :twisted:

BSD (http://www.bsd.org/), Lunix (http://www.lunix.com/), Debian (http://www.debian.org/) and Mandrake (http://www.mandrake.com/) are all versions of an illegal hacker operation system (http://www.lunix.com/), invented by a Soviet computer hacker (http://www.goldeneye.com/julian/boris.html) named Linyos Torovoltos, before the Russians lost the Cold War. It is based on a program called "xenix (http://www.xenix.org/)", which was written by Microsoft (http://www.microsoft.com/) for the US government (http://www.usflag.org/).

~LoKe
December 12th, 2006, 02:51 AM
I've done a bit of cracking in the past. Kind of...stopped when I got a call from the feds. Mostly empty threats, but it's enough to put me in my place.

23meg
December 12th, 2006, 03:06 AM
The definition of a Hacker that is most widely considered as correct is a person that is highly computer literate. This is usually mistaken for someone that performs malicious or illegal tasks using a computer. In that sense (which is how the word should be used in a FOSS forum) I can "hack a bit" as well; being familiar with the logic of programming languages since early ages but never having really mastered any. With respect to the distinction hackers often make between a programmer and a developer, I'd place myself towards the bottom of the developers' league.

shoagun
December 12th, 2006, 03:49 AM

HAHAHA, that article is hilarious.

max.diems
December 12th, 2006, 03:53 AM

EDIT.

A real insult to the 13 y o kids who actually know something :(

Iandefor
December 12th, 2006, 04:04 AM
Depends on what you call hacking. I've done stuff like circumventing the content filters in state schools by using an encrypted connection, but mostly out of idle curiosity, not a real hacker's burning desire-to-know.

Polygon
December 12th, 2006, 04:18 AM
cracking -> doing something illegal that either breaks the law, or violates some form of user agreement, aka cracking internet wep/wpa codes, pirating software/windows

hacking -> hacking code, as in messing with it, adding, improving, writing code

I basically cracked a program to help recover my hard drive after it died, i would of bought the program but it was freaking 70 dollars for a one time use product. no thanks. I tried the linux equivalents and they didn't work so i had to resort to this. I usually hate piracy with a passion.

BOBSONATOR
December 12th, 2006, 04:20 AM
What I did was bypass content filter at school!

Lol all you need is a proxy.

hod139
December 12th, 2006, 05:58 AM

Thank you for pointing this out so early in the thread. I always hate hearing this termed used incorrectly. I blame holywood for the misunderstanding.

Iandefor
December 12th, 2006, 06:29 AM
Lol all you need is a proxy. What's sad is you don't even need that. As long as the destination supports an encrypted connection, you can just specify an encrypted connection in the URL and the content filters just let it go.

argie
December 12th, 2006, 01:39 PM
I've actually tried "hacking", well, all I do is play around with some open source games to fiddle the physics and other stuff out of them. It's completely useless and not really constructive, but it's fun.

That cracking stuff, well, umm, I once watched my friend reset the BIOS password on the one computer with high-speed internet we had in our school back in 10th standard :)

23meg
December 12th, 2006, 01:58 PM
It's completely useless and not really constructive, but it's fun.Most "how I started hacking" stories I've heard point to that kind of work.

MedivhX
December 12th, 2006, 02:13 PM
Yes, I did many times. I was editing xorg.conf LOL

katgfan
December 12th, 2006, 02:19 PM
Hack - No but I would if I could.
Crack - Hell no and I will never will.

bonzodog
December 12th, 2006, 06:20 PM
Yup, done both.

Been on the 'net since 96, and early on, just started connecting to servers in telnet on win 3.11 just to see what response I got.
First though, ran traceroute to get the server DNS and IP, then just connected to the IP over telnet. Once found a major retail store chain that had left it's server literally wide open.

This was in 1996 though, before firewalls, viruses and spyware were too common.

I gave it up by 97, and went on to hacking into closed software, reverse engineering protocols etc.

At first the hacking was to get around licensing of shareware, and getting 'cracks' etc.
Then it was onto Open Source hacking to help solve problems and bugs.

And I still help where I can with OSS hacking and bug finding.

One of the fun, legitimate ways of hacking internet servers is explore for doors left open - it's not illegal if there are no locks or protection. You can actually use google to find the 'open doors' for you, by using some special terms in the search window. Look for open /etc dirs, means an unsecured Apache server.

linuxmaster
December 30th, 2006, 05:49 PM
yes...I telnet,ping,traceroute,finger,whois,nslookup,and find out (some) passwords in the web code :)

EDIT:MIT has a open port 79

macogw
December 30th, 2006, 06:16 PM
A real insult to the 13 y o kids who actually know something :(

Yeah, when my bf was 14 it was 1992 and Linux was just getting started. He installed it on a spare computer and proceeded to attempt to write a video driver for it. Blew up a few monitors in the process (what happens if I put a whole lot of electricity through THAT pin? *BANG* oh....that's what happens...), and I think he eventually got it working. I really doubt he gave up on it, seeing as he now reverse engineers stuff.

I can't hack. I can get the password to log in to a site if the web developer's stupid. That's about it. I've tried WEP keys, but new Linksys routers have had the 3-minute-crack vulnerabilities fixed, so they're actually secure-ish. The fact that nobody USES the ones I was trying to get at makes it worse because without any traffic, you get rather useless packets. I would like to get my bf to teach me to reverse engineer drivers, but first I need to learn C (driver writing in Java...yeah, not gonna cut it).

neowolf
December 30th, 2006, 06:36 PM
About 2 years ago I was trying to learn 'hacking' techniques alot because I thought it was 'cool' at the time, didn't get that far though. Learnt some useful stuff and was pointed to Linux by other, more experienced people I met on IRC. They all used Debian, so thats where I started out on Linux, very cool introduction to Linux.
I learnt enough to bypass the web restrictions at school and run batch scripts on them, all I needed to do was use the ip address instead of domain name lol. Then, abit later I got into quite a bit of trouble with a friend for what the school saw as 'hacking', wasn't really, just taking advantage of lack of security, so thats where it ended for me.
Although, I learnt alot that has been really helpful, how TCP/IP works, Networking/WEP keys etc, Linux shell commands, HDD partitioning, HTML/Javascript screwing, Cookie exploits etc. And a bit of PHP, Perl and C++.

bobbybobington
December 30th, 2006, 06:57 PM
I dont even know any computer languages so i cant really hack. Using https to get around my school's filter to access gmail is the farthest extent that I've hacked lol. And I would never even think about cracking,[-( its just plain stupid.

Sammi
December 30th, 2006, 07:26 PM
I basically cracked a program to help recover my hard drive after it died, i would of bought the program but it was freaking 70 dollars for a one time use product. no thanks. I tried the linux equivalents and they didn't work so i had to resort to this. I usually hate piracy with a passion.
Did you try TestDisk (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Testdisk)? It's free/libre and it worked for me, after I semi-accidentally deleted my MBR and my whole partitions table with it :D

TestDisk searched my harddrive for partitions and recreated my MBR.

WalmartSniperLX
December 30th, 2006, 07:29 PM
I trojaned my friend :S lol

And I use proxies to bypass the websensors on the school's proxies

EDIT: He accepted my trojan invitation btw, just for fun. After that I never did it again. (I have fallen victim to the lame trojan hacker many times in windows and I dont want to be one of them)

Snargle
December 30th, 2006, 08:04 PM
Sure I hack. I crack too. Just today I hacked into about 15 logs. Pretty much cracked my axe in the process.

Frak
December 30th, 2006, 11:17 PM
Yes I'm a hacker,
Changing the source code to meet my needs
I learned, because my job entitles me to now how to do so
Reading, and practicing
BUT I'M NOT A CRACKER! (kinda)

Frak
December 30th, 2006, 11:22 PM
Yeah, when my bf was 14 it was 1992 and Linux was just getting started. He installed it on a spare computer and proceeded to attempt to write a video driver for it. Blew up a few monitors in the process (what happens if I put a whole lot of electricity through THAT pin? *BANG* oh....that's what happens...), and I think he eventually got it working. I really doubt he gave up on it, seeing as he now reverse engineers stuff.

I can't hack. I can get the password to log in to a site if the web developer's stupid. That's about it. I've tried WEP keys, but new Linksys routers have had the 3-minute-crack vulnerabilities fixed, so they're actually secure-ish. The fact that nobody USES the ones I was trying to get at makes it worse because without any traffic, you get rather useless packets. I would like to get my bf to teach me to reverse engineer drivers, but first I need to learn C (driver writing in Java...yeah, not gonna cut it).
In fact, I just cracked one of those, "Mega-Secure WiFi Routers", it was easier than cracking my own. (Oh and P.S. if you wan't Usernames and Passwords for all Routers that the owners haven't changed, look here (http://phenoelit.de/dpl/dpl.html))

jdhore
December 30th, 2006, 11:39 PM
ok, i know how to hack, i do it occasionally and i'm decent at it, but:

1. I do not like the script kiddies (nor am i one), leet speak, pwning the gibson, etc.
2. Most of my true Hacking/cracking is done via my Security Analysis business (so...greyhat).
3. Most of the stuff i do on my own is White-hat.
4. I learned via teaching myself...i started learning about 7 years ago, and i learn more every day.
5. Hacking and Cracking are 2 very different things, on one of the IPTV shows i do work on, we're trying to make that distinction. If you want to check it out, check out the BSoD link in my signature.

EDIT: I started hacking cuz i was really interested in exploring systems and seeing what's out there...that's all hacking is: The exploration of a system...be it a computer system, telephone system, human body system, system of movement...anything.

IMPORTANT: the biggest difference between a real hacker and a script kiddie: When a real hacker does something he/she knows what they're doing, knows why they're doing it and knows how to do it...a script kiddie doesn't...i use scripts from some of the work i do, but i coded them so i know how they work and exactly what they do.

mykalreborn
December 30th, 2006, 11:51 PM
i had a time when i wanted to do that,but i got fed up with it when i saw it was pretty hard work, at least for me. the furthest i got to was to see how many computers were connected to my ISP network. and i acomlished that by using a program. :D
that's not really hacking is it? :P

slimdog360
December 30th, 2006, 11:53 PM
HAXX0R t0 the MAXX0R

Somenoob
December 31st, 2006, 01:38 AM
I only use "Hacker" in it's original and correct definition.

Frak
December 31st, 2006, 01:40 AM
I only use "Hacker" in it's original and correct definition.
Ditto, when and if I or anybody else do bad things, it will always be called cracking.

raul_
December 31st, 2006, 01:47 AM

Your son may try to install "lunix" on your hard drive. If he is careful, you may not notice its presence, however, lunix is a capricious beast, and if handled incorrectly, your son may damage your computer, and even break it completely by deleting Windows, at which point you will have to have your computer repaired by a professional.

If you see the word "LILO" during your windows startup (just after you turn the machine on), your son has installed lunix. In order to get rid of it, you will have to send your computer back to the manufacturer, and have them fit a new hard drive. Lunix is extremely dangerous software, and cannot be removed without destroying part of your hard disk surface.

MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA

ice60
December 31st, 2006, 05:40 AM
i'm not a hacker at all (in the sense of a kernel hacker) i just don't have the skillz :| but i love skiddie stuff lol. although i'd NEVER EVER do it outside my LAN because it's no different from smashing a shop window and stealing stuff alot of the time, or along those lines anyway!

in the past i managed to use stuff like metasploit and nikto to gain access to a local server, it really is fun and more importantly can teach you alot. i just posted about getting back into it on a whitehat hacking forum yesterday. i think %50 of the people here would find it a great way to learn about computer security - attacking a local server.

here's some videos -
http://eks0.free.fr/whax-demos/?f=Whoppix-ssh-dcom_config.xml
http://eks0.free.fr/whax-demos/

d3v1ant_0n3
December 31st, 2006, 05:43 AM

EDIT.

I have such fond memories of a yahoo chat session I was in a few months ago- some lil l33t haX0r type was telling me how he had hacked into my computer and had placed a trojan in my win/system 32 folder and it was deleting my c drive. I was very impressed. Especially as I was single booting Ubuntu.

macogw
December 31st, 2006, 05:50 AM
In fact, I just cracked one of those, "Mega-Secure WiFi Routers", it was easier than cracking my own. (Oh and P.S. if you wan't Usernames and Passwords for all Routers that the owners haven't changed, look here (http://phenoelit.de/dpl/dpl.html))

Oh, well, see uh...here's the thing. I went "oooh unprotected Linksys, I'm gonna be mean" and I went to 192.168.1.1 and put in admin admin and blocked http://*, added a WEP key, and then changed the admin password to toobad. So, um, the only way I can undo that is from a wired connection since I would need to connect to it to get to 192.168.1.1

viper
December 31st, 2006, 05:51 AM
Does a bear s*$t in the woods !!!! ;)

PriceChild
December 31st, 2006, 05:06 PM
I have such fond memories of a yahoo chat session I was in a few months ago- some lil l33t haX0r type was telling me how he had hacked into my computer and had placed a trojan in my win/system 32 folder and it was deleting my c drive. I was very impressed. Especially as I was single booting Ubuntu.That's so funny :D

I get the same treatment by trolls I annoy on here or irc :P

insane_alien
December 31st, 2006, 06:02 PM
i hack, in the sense that i made a robot out of lego that interfaced with my computer that controlled the remote control of an RC car. thats was a very boring summer, hence why i done it.

gholen
January 1st, 2007, 01:42 AM
I hack, in the meaning that I write my own apps, when needed (I'm a lazy type) and I have done some bash and korn scripting.

I've done some cracking, mainly to mess with some friends computers or servers. But I stopped some 3 years ago, or so, wasn't fun anymore.

dasunst3r
January 1st, 2007, 01:59 AM
Hack? If your definition of that is to gain understanding of what things are now and to make them better in the future, then I aspire to do that all the time.

Albi
January 1st, 2007, 02:03 AM
That's so funny :D

I get the same treatment by trolls I annoy on here or irc :P

Wouldn't annoying trolls just be feeding them?

I haven't really done any "hacking", although at my library there's a computer that's supposed to be only used for borrowing books etc but it has a comfortable seat next to it so one day I decide it if I could get it to browse the net. Anyways, I managed Internet Explorer to open a window with an address bar after a while, but I still couldn't go anywhere. However, I assumed this was because of a restricted DNS server, so I went home, wrote down the IP address for google.com and I came back later and when I entered this instead of the domain name it actually worked and I was like :D

3rdalbum
January 1st, 2007, 05:52 AM
I used to explore my high school's network. I found a couple of drives that were "hidden" to students and were intended for use by teachers but hadn't been secured.

I also used WinPopup to send instant messages to random users. I found out all the usernames by going up a couple of directories from my network home directory. (the whole network was Windows and Novell-only)

A friend of mine tried writing an encryption program in Visual Basic, but it ended off destroying all the files that he tried encrypting. So he decided that he'd instead written a virus...

And in the piece de resistance, another guy taught me how to disable the Fortres security software on the computers, so we had free rein over the individual computers. We could have installed ANYTHING on those things. I don't know if it's against the forum rules to describe a crack, but this is a good example of how insecure proprietry software can be: There was only one folder on the system that the software allowed you to rename, and renaming this folder would crash the computer. Then when you restarted, the software was disabled until you renamed the folder back.

Frak
January 1st, 2007, 06:19 AM
I used to explore my high school's network. I found a couple of drives that were "hidden" to students and were intended for use by teachers but hadn't been secured.

I also used WinPopup to send instant messages to random users. I found out all the usernames by going up a couple of directories from my network home directory. (the whole network was Windows and Novell-only)

A friend of mine tried writing an encryption program in Visual Basic, but it ended off destroying all the files that he tried encrypting. So he decided that he'd instead written a virus...

And in the piece de resistance, another guy taught me how to disable the Fortres security software on the computers, so we had free rein over the individual computers. We could have installed ANYTHING on those things. I don't know if it's against the forum rules to describe a crack, but this is a good example of how insecure proprietry software can be: There was only one folder on the system that the software allowed you to rename, and renaming this folder would crash the computer. Then when you restarted, the software was disabled until you renamed the folder back.
Some wise-*ss kid cracked our network, we had him suspended indefinately. Those kids don't realize the work that goes in to making everyone of those folders, for each of those students, so because the server was RHEL, I installed Ubuntu LTS, as I am Server Admin/Maintaner, nobody cared what I did as long as it worked, and from there installed some networking apps for webblocking and what not, and edited (or hacked) it myself to match an almost indefinate twists and turns and integration with the computer from which its being used, of which, if you want to try to crash the Web Blocker, or whatever else, as in the encryption and what-not, which is all private to the students, which would have to be intentional, it would delete all of your work on your drive, and give you and instant F for however long you've been there, and in turn I got a raise, for making the security safer on the network.

This was done at the middle of the year, just as Dapper was released, right before school started, and all of our computers run Ubuntu with Crossover and Cadega installed for mass compatability, and buying all those licenses was a tax-writeoff for me, for which I expect it back sometime in the next couple of months.

3rdalbum
January 1st, 2007, 06:27 AM
Some wise-*ss kid cracked our network, we had him suspended indefinately. Those kids don't realize the work that goes in to making everyone of those folders, for each of those students, so because the server was RHEL, I installed Ubuntu LTS, as I am Server Admin/Maintaner, nobody cared what I did as long as it worked, and from there installed some networking apps for webblocking and what not, and edited (or hacked) it myself to match an almost indefinate twists and turns and integration with the computer from which its being used, of which, if you want to try to crash the Web Blocker, or whatever else, as in the encryption and what-not, which is all private to the students, which would have to be intentional, it would delete all of your work on your drive, and give you and instant F for however long you've been there, and in turn I got a raise, for making the security safer on the network.

This was done at the middle of the year, just as Dapper was released, right before school started, and all of our computers run Ubuntu with Crossover and Cadega installed for mass compatability, and buying all those licenses was a tax-writeoff for me, for which I expect it back sometime in the next couple of months.

Good work! I think you should reword that post and send it to Canonical - they're probably looking for testimonials like that.

Just to clarify my previous post: I never did anything malicious in my snooping; wouldn't have dreamed of it.

Frak
January 1st, 2007, 06:31 AM
Good work! I think you should reword that post and send it to Canonical - they're probably looking for testimonials like that.

Just to clarify my previous post: I never did anything malicious in my snooping; wouldn't have dreamed of it.
Trust me, this kid that cracked it was malicious, he tried to clean out the assignment reports, and admin, password protected folders, by using a brute-force attack, he's somewhere in juvenile hall right now for what he done, its a state offence, passed by Sany Garrett about 2 years ago, and we all thank her for it. It makes the kids who are malicious intended to feel the wrath of the government, because you mess with the school, you mess with the future of the nation, you mess with the government.

JPMaximilian
January 20th, 2007, 11:09 PM

I hope whoever wrote this article is joking, it would be sad to know there are people that are so stupid.

That cracking stuff, well, umm, I once watched my friend reset the BIOS password on the one computer with high-speed internet we had in our school back in 10th standard :)

To my knowledge that isn't possible. But I'm not a cracker.

esaym
January 20th, 2007, 11:20 PM
No comments! :p

Frak
January 20th, 2007, 11:52 PM

That would be impossible, Even if you had an ATX motherboard, Ethernet card, and power supply, to use Wake On LAN (WOL) the card is disabled directly during startup until after the BIOS has booted into the OS, the Password can ONLY be changed during startup, from the thing between the keyboard and chair ;).

burek
January 21st, 2007, 12:07 AM
That would be impossible, Even if you had an ATX motherboard, Ethernet card, and power supply, to use Wake On LAN (WOL) the card is disabled directly during startup until after the BIOS has booted into the OS, the Password can ONLY be changed during startup, from the thing between the keyboard and chair ;).

(Some viruses can flash the bios, ...)

jdhore
January 21st, 2007, 01:32 AM

wow...you guys are almost depressing...there's usually a freaking jumper inside the case, pull the jumper, you've just reset the BIOS password

Steveire
January 21st, 2007, 01:34 AM
I think you're reading the quote wrong.

Here is a computer. It is the only one with high-speed internet access in the school. Guy sits down, resets the password probably with the jumper hack, then uses it.

JPMaximilian
January 21st, 2007, 01:40 AM
If you have physical access to a machine most security goes out the window, you can reset the root password of Windows, OS X, and Ubuntu with an install CD for that OS. Its in the manual of any motherboard how to reset the bios password, either through a jumper or taking out the battery and connecting the leads on the mobo. I would not consider any of these cracks or hacks.

burek
January 21st, 2007, 01:45 AM
If you have physical access to a machine most security goes out the window, you can reset the root password of Windows, OS X, and Ubuntu with an install CD for that OS. Its in the manual of any motherboard how to reset the bios password, either through a jumper or taking out the battery and connecting the leads on the mobo. I would not consider any of these cracks or hacks.

try with windows Domains / LDAP server ... have fun even with boot CD & physical access !!
I prefer this way of protection since nothing can be retrieve in sam files

euler_fan
January 21st, 2007, 03:58 AM
My upcoming summer research project is hacking in some sense, if I'm reading the definition right.

My advisor and I are going to be working with an open-source numerical weather modeling system to modify how it does a few things to see what happens. None of this, of course, was originally part of the design, so we are going to manually modify the source code. :)

We plan on publishing what-ever we find. Which we hope is something more than we both had better ways of spending the summer.

And consequently the first language I am going to need to get good with is Fortran77 ](*,)

3rdalbum
January 21st, 2007, 04:02 AM
F**k the idea of having to open the case to reset the BIOS password - some BIOSes have backdoor passwords that are available on the Internet. For instance, some PheonixBIOSes have the backdoor password "pheonix". You type that instead of the actual password, and you get access.

Frak
January 22nd, 2007, 02:06 AM
(Some viruses can flash the bios, ...)
OK, name one

And as far as I know, the BIOS settings can only be changed during startup, then the BIOS shuts off, and the OS takes over all of the processes.

Reference: Schurman, Kyle. "UEFI, Making the BIOS Better." CPU (Computer Power User) July 2006: 48-49.

Randomskk
January 22nd, 2007, 02:26 AM
As far as I can remember, there are linux programs able to grab the password from the BIOS while linux is running - from my technical viewpoint, I imagine you'd read RAM where the bios was shadowed.

As for myself.. I prefer securing things to breaking security. I'll happily spend hours to add a tiny tiny change for a non-existant benefit - hours editing config files so that the server, for any check I could possibly perform, looked like an IIS5.0 server.
The same for the FTP and SMTP servers.

(try it yourself: nmap -sV -p80 randomskk.net)
- I got log files emailed to me hourly, I'd see anyone doing that.
I also get a number of other logs by email, some hourly, some daily, some weekly.. from all sorts of programs.

There's a secure syslog server that takes entries from the main server and other systems and writes them to a tape rotation.

Plenty of other things too; I do enjoy securing networks.

On the more offensive side, I've done a little playing with WEP networks; a few million packets is easy when 20 students are on laptops and the 5 nearest you are downloading a linux ISO.

drfalkor
January 22nd, 2007, 02:57 AM
Hacking means bulding, cracking means to tearing it down.. ( i readed that in a doc somewhere ) :)

JPMaximilian
January 22nd, 2007, 06:56 AM
F**k the idea of having to open the case to reset the BIOS password - some BIOSes have backdoor passwords that are available on the Internet. For instance, some PheonixBIOSes have the backdoor password "pheonix". You type that instead of the actual password, and you get access.

I've never heard of this. Oh, and the cursing was unnecessary.

fakie_flip
March 5th, 2007, 02:10 AM
Anyone tried Backtrack? I'd like to use it against my computers on my own network.

~LoKe
March 5th, 2007, 02:21 AM
OK, name one

And as far as I know, the BIOS settings can only be changed during startup, then the BIOS shuts off, and the OS takes over all of the processes.

Reference: Schurman, Kyle. "UEFI, Making the BIOS Better." CPU (Computer Power User) July 2006: 48-49.

There are BIOS flashing utilities in Windows that will allow you to update it. If it can be done there, one could assume it's possible to do it in Linux as well.

rucadulu
March 5th, 2007, 02:53 AM
When you ask abouting hacking I think most people do it and don't even realize what they are doing. All hacking is, is finding a way to get your computer to do what you want it to do. If you are thinking of cracking that is whole different game most people who crack do it for illegal purposes and thus have given all crackers a bad name. Cracking is the breaking of code and honest crackers do it so they can learn how too better write code for thier own applications. If you want to learn how to break code so that you can become a better programmer the best book I have found on the subject is titled Exploting Software (How to break code).

BOBSONATOR
March 5th, 2007, 03:41 AM
Anyone tried Backtrack? I'd like to use it against my computers on my own network.

yes, its fun!

tbodine
March 5th, 2007, 03:54 AM
How to Become a Hacker (http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html) -- it's not what you thought.

StarsAndBars14
March 5th, 2007, 04:12 AM
The definition of a Hacker that is most widely considered as correct is a person that is highly computer literate. This is usually mistaken for someone that performs malicious or illegal tasks using a computer.

In this sense, I've been hacking for quite a while...no cracking...but some guy my mom once knew wanted me to break into servers owned by Equifax for him and change his credit rating.

Needless to say, that showed me a lot about his ethical make up.

Frak
March 5th, 2007, 04:17 AM
In this sense, I've been hacking for quite a while...no cracking...but some guy my mom once knew wanted me to break into servers owned by Equifax for him and change his credit rating.

Needless to say, that showed me a lot about his ethical make up.
Don't worry, as long as there are people out there that have no intention to learn (in my case Zombies), we in this forum will all be hackers because we all use an illegal hacking OS, Lunix!!!!!:lolflag:

LookTJ
March 5th, 2007, 04:20 AM
No I do not hack, I hacked in the past and got into trouble.

I hack my own computers though.

Enigmus
March 5th, 2007, 05:55 AM
I know how to hack, but I don't do anything outside my own network. And I just really dislike skiddies and those people who are like "YOU DO THIS OR I'LL HAX YOU!". Those people are just pains in the *** for everyone. Mostly for me, I try just whatever comes to mind. Usually if I get an idea such as "Hmm... I wonder how strong the older PHPFusion is...", I'll set it up on my computer and get to work. I started mostly because it's an interesting subject. I've been interested in computers all my life, and learning the in's and out's of hacking seemed interesting. As for where I learned, there are a few friendly community sites around the internet.

On the downside, I always get asked "Can you hack my ex's myspace? She was a ******". Good for a laugh, but gets annoying.

skywalker___
March 7th, 2007, 01:27 PM
I just play guitar and I enjoy to surf

but that equifax stuff is really funny someone asked me that.
my friend at work got his computer taken aways from him for a year because he hacked into a few servers and was monitoring bank transactions off a wifi... but do I hack.. no
just a lunch break

don't be so dam judge mental on people..

Frak
March 7th, 2007, 01:29 PM
I just play guitar and I enjoy to surf

but that equifax stuff is really funny someone asked me that.
my friend at work got his computer taken aways from him for a year because he hacked into a few servers and was monitoring bank transactions off a wifi... but do I hack.. no
just a lunch break

don't be so dam judge mental on people..
Cracking, not Hacking, theres a difference.

bastiegast
March 7th, 2007, 02:19 PM
I don't even know how to crack WEP keys or find left open dirs on servers although it surely fascinates me. I hack things as soon as I get a change.
Lately I've been doing this (http://www.spritesmods.com/?art=mouseeye). The program provided on the site was written in VB though, so I rewrote the program in Java(Since I'm not skilled enough in C++) and added some features. Felt kinda proud since I've never wrote programs that communicate with devices, this the app communicates using three wires on the parallel port to send serial signals directly to a sensor chip on a optical mouse.
Currently I'm planning to buy a cheap TI-83 (Calculator) from ebay and overclock it :twisted:
Oh and yesterday I downloaded the linux-0.11 kernel source, I barely know some C++ though and I have only seen assembly language a few times but I just thought it'd be interesting.

skywalker___
March 7th, 2007, 02:27 PM

karellen
March 7th, 2007, 04:38 PM
I have such fond memories of a yahoo chat session I was in a few months ago- some lil l33t haX0r type was telling me how he had hacked into my computer and had placed a trojan in my win/system 32 folder and it was deleting my c drive. I was very impressed. Especially as I was single booting Ubuntu.
:lolflag: tough one

PriceChild
March 7th, 2007, 04:45 PM
OK, name one

Reference: Schurman, Kyle. "UEFI, Making the BIOS Better." CPU (Computer Power User) July 2006: 48-49.Some OS's even make BIOS calls although that's naughty... it definitely doesn't disappear :)

abefroman
March 7th, 2007, 06:49 PM
It makes the kids who are malicious intended to feel the wrath of the government, because you mess with the school, you mess with the future of the nation, you mess with the government.

uggh, never thought i would actually post here, but this is absolutely retarded. i'm glad you support draconian punishment for kids...you probably also think no child left behind has been beneficial to the kids.

MkfIbK7a
March 7th, 2007, 07:01 PM
he really said nothing about draconian punishment or anything that implied it

im 15 but i think that what he is saying is actually a good thing because people who would try to cheat or ruin other peoples chances in life are the really retarded ones

wert

abefroman
March 7th, 2007, 07:10 PM
he really said nothing about draconian punishment or anything that implied it

im 15 but i think that what he is saying is actually a good thing because people who would try to cheat or ruin other peoples chances in life are the really retarded ones

wert

umm yeah, i just realized he's 15 and pretending to be a network admin (which he very well could be in okie) at any rate, a felony for kids messing with a network is draconian. forgive me, i thought i was arguing with a slow adult...i usually try not to argue with children.

MkfIbK7a
March 7th, 2007, 07:36 PM
yeah whatever i dont really know what you are getting at but this thread wasnt meant to start a fight it was meant as a disscussion about hacking.

Bragador
March 7th, 2007, 07:51 PM
Way to give your info to the authorities guys...

You should all try http://hackerslab.org/

I tried it a few years ago when I thought hacking was cool. I went up to level 4 but after that I was stuck lol.

Can't beat the rush of finding the answer to a challenge :P

Personally I never really got into hacking. I said to myself I'd learn that at university but with time my interests changed and instead of studying computer sciences I studied psychology lol

Oh well...

abefroman
March 7th, 2007, 07:53 PM
i'm getting at supporting a felony for a kid who messes around in a school network is extreme.

also the rah rah crap about messing with the future and all that rot is a bit, well, disconcerting. but, like i said, i didn't realize he was only 15.

thanks for clearing up the point of the thread, though. i totally missed that.

MkfIbK7a
March 7th, 2007, 09:40 PM
who is "he"?

i am the one who is 15

Frak
March 7th, 2007, 10:35 PM
umm yeah, i just realized he's 15 and pretending to be a network admin (which he very well could be in okie) at any rate, a felony for kids messing with a network is draconian. forgive me, i thought i was arguing with a slow adult...i usually try not to argue with children.
15? I'm 20, yes young, but I'm also the only one qualified in my area.

abefroman
March 8th, 2007, 11:41 PM
15? I'm 20, yes young, but I'm also the only one qualified in my area.

oh you're 20, guess you haven't updated your blogger profile in a few years:

# Age: 15
# Gender: Male
# Astrological Sign: Libra
# Zodiac Year: Sheep
# Industry: Technology
# Occupation: OS Development
# Location: Ada : Oklahoma : United St

Frak
March 8th, 2007, 11:50 PM
oh you're 20, guess you haven't updated your blogger profile in a few years:

# Age: 15
# Gender: Male
# Astrological Sign: Libra
# Zodiac Year: Sheep
# Industry: Technology
# Occupation: OS Development
# Location: Ada : Oklahoma : United St
That would be my blog yes, and that would also be my little brother messing with the computer when he wasn't supposed to be. Fixed.

ViRMiN
March 8th, 2007, 11:54 PM
Only ethically ;)

jagtalon
March 24th, 2007, 09:36 AM
This is purely for fun…add some if you want :D HAVE FUN!

1. You know you’re a hacker when: you have old blank cds under your bed.
2. You know you’re a hacker when: you have over 200 GB in OGGs.
3. You know you’re a hacker when: you have no mail in your most used e-mail
account.
4. You know you’re a hacker when: you know what the acronym IRC means.
5. You know you’re a hacker when: you absolutely hate the CAPS LOCK key.
6. You know you’re a hacker when: you have over 100 people on your buddy
list.
7. You know you’re a hacker when: you drool over THINK GEEK apparel.
8. You know you’re a hacker when: you can name 10 different programming
languages, and only program in 4.
9. You know you’re a hacker when: you change the resolution and/or color
settings of a peers computer, simply because you thought it was ugly.
10. You know you’re a hacker when: you’ve spent more than 4 hours on Quake
for PC or Dreamcast.
11. You know you’re a hacker when: you keep important passwords on a
floppy…encrypted.
12. You know you’re a hacker when: the layout of your website is more clean
than you are.
13. You know you’re a hacker when: when someone asks you for your phone
number, you give it in hex.
14. You know you’re a hacker when: you’ve ever had a dream about any source
code or computer language.
15. You know you’re a hacker when: your last meal was Pizza and Mountain
Dew.
16. You know you’re a hacker when: you’ve enjoyed the following movies “The
Net”, “Hackers”, “Takedown”, “War Games”, “Lawnmower man: Beyond Cyber
Space”, and “Blade Runner”.
17. You know you’re a hacker when: you think that your phone is tapped.
18. You know you’re a hacker when: your phone is tapped.
19. You know you’re a hacker when: you have ever gotten up at 3AM, “just to see who is on”.
20. You know you’re a hacker when: if you can you read and write ASCII in
hex or octal.

21. When you hate the GUI interface of every known OS.

22. When you hate using the mouse.

23. You do all your work on the terminal.

24. You know what USB means.

25. You can feel at home in a Mac, Linux, Windows or a Solaris OS

26. When you manage different processor architectures in your home.

27. When you manage a Beowulf cluster in your room.

28. When you compile gentoo for 30 minutes.

29. When you manage a shell account remotely encrypted in SSH.

30. Your password is 20 characters long.

You know your a hacker when you can take apart and reassemble your computer blindfolded but you can’t remember where you left your shoes.

You know your a hacker if you check your emails from the terminal.

You know you’re a noob when:

You ask a knowledgeable person how to do something as the way you do it isn’t working, then disregard his advice, keep doing things your own way and curse at your computer for being crap.

You refer to a USB flash drive as a USB.

You walk away from your computer in a public area while you’ve got a logged-on session going (mail, eBanking, IRC, whatever).

You think Internet Explorer is The Internet.

Your forum nickname is Panarchy.

You think you’re great with computers because you’re good at playing some game.

People walk away from you, laughing, when you explain them how computers work.

Your mom calls you up with a computer problem, asking if you know someone who might be able to help her.

You receive a funny email from someone, and send it on to *EVERYBODY* in your address book, including the person who sent it to you, without using BCC.

You believe a gigabyte is 1.000.000.000 bytes.

You hear about something tech-related discussed on the radio, and decide to send a message to *EVERYBODY* in your address book, again without using BCC, talking about how cool this thing is, without realising that half the recipients aren’t techs so won’t care, and the other half knew about this 6 weeks ago already.

You’re not worried about DRM.

You prefer your mouse over your keyboard.

You think UPS is a package delivery company.

You completely reinstall Windows every other week because all the trial software you’ve installed starts complaining about your having to pay and register to keep using it.

You have more than 0 toolbars in your browser.

You put all your private data on a TrueCrypt partition, and then forgot the password to it.

You know you’re a noob when you panic because your desktop icons refresh and you accuse the system admin of hacking into your computer.

You know you’re a noob when you have a screen resolution of 1024×768 and have 15 columns and 9 rows of icons that are overlapping by 3 times each column and you think theres is nothing wrong with it.

You know you’re a noob when you store important files in the recycle bin. When the admin comes around and empties the trash, you panic becasue the most important file of the year was “saved” in there.

When you think Windows is the only OS out there.

When you think your elite when you change your friendster layout or embed youtube videos on my space.

When you think open-source is crap.

When you trash your computer because it’s “infected” with viruses.

When you dedicate your life trying to secure Windows.

You believe that NTFS is the most superior file system.

When you log in as Admin / root in Linux and Windows.

When you think that Bill Gates = God.

When you think that Bill Gates invented the computer.

When you have never touched a terminal / console before.

When you think that IE is the only browser in existence.

When you think that Vista is the new frontier for computing.

More in http://jagtalon.wordpress.com/

DoctorMO
March 24th, 2007, 10:07 AM
Your a hacker when you stay up all night excited that you've just solved a particularly difficult and complex structural or mathematical problem with more that one mitigating effect. You stay up and fix the problem, discovering several other things that would be really cool ideas too and you do this for free because you enjoy solving technical problems.

To refute the above I AM a hacker of the classical sense, I program computers, I bake bread and I even make my own pcb's but from the list:

1. socks under my bed, old issues of new scientist.
2. mostly MP3's and some oggs. about 1.3GB in total
3. No mail? are you kidding I received 200 messages today and sent out 68.
4. Internet Relay Chat, *Yawn* anyone could know that.
5. It's useful but only like a loud speaker at a library.
6. No buddy list, no idea what you mean.
7. But their cotton shirts arn't that good, a real hacker makes his own. I'm wearing a fetching 'Freedom to consume is not freedom of choice' t-shift made by my good friends in Cornwall.
8. Perl, Python, Assembler, Visual Basic, C, Java, C++, C#, SmallTalk, Pascal, Ruby. can Perl, Python, C, Java, VB, C++, Pascal, Asm.
9. Normal people do this, it's called 'you have stupid peers'
10. I thought everyone has played Quake 4 Arena?
11. In the head is the only safe place
12. Why should this even be relivent; hackers take showers like everyone else.
13. Not useful to give it in hex; I will however write full numbers with county codes and all the spaces in the right places.
14. I thought every programmer had not just hackers.
15. This is down right slanderous, not only am I lactos intolerent but they don't even sell mountin dew in the UK. I drink TEA from a POT like any red blooded brit.
16. To be honest I like Disney's Animated films more than I like the 'Hackers' film... it was pants and monty pythons life of brian is better than most thrillers.
17. when you can tell your phone is tapped you mean?
19. No thats just an obsessive insomniac.
20. hmm Hex, I use a chart for Octal not had to write that down, I mean who would write ASCII in nibbles for god sake.
21. Love KDE
22. I also use a Wacom tablet as well as a mouse.
23. Technically, but sometimes I do work in inkscape and gimp too though
24. Universal Serial Bus, I also know how it works too.
25. Never touched solaris, and I can't stand windows. my fingers catch fire just brushing the keyboard.
26. Who doesn't have a PowerPC (Apple Mac) or a Mobile phone (ARM or Motorola) computer as well as their x86 PC?
27. nah,
28. not with all those extra options
29. ssh with keys! don't forget the ssh_add
30. Too long

To put it bluntly most of these have nothing to do with the hacker ethos and are just cheap sterio types of the normal geeky person which is way out of whack. Why can't a geek be a loving and well balanced person as well as a technophile?

karellen
March 24th, 2007, 10:11 AM
:lolflag:

Kobalt
March 24th, 2007, 10:25 AM
I do wake up up at 3am just to see who is on. I'm screwed... :D

diskotek
March 24th, 2007, 10:57 AM
i don't have any toolbar on my browser, hahah i'm a n00b. sounds nice :D

xavier_r
March 24th, 2007, 01:13 PM
1. You know you’re a hacker when: you have old blank cds under your bed.
--- AND LOTS OF OLD FLOPPIES TOO

2. You know you’re a hacker when: you have over 200 GB in OGGs.
--- OGGS,err...mmm.. make that FLAC for me

3. You know you’re a hacker when: you have no mail in your most used e-mail
account.
--- Aha, this one is nice... and correct for me...

4. You know you’re a hacker when: you know what the acronym IRC means.
--- Yup

5. You know you’re a hacker when: you absolutely hate the CAPS LOCK key.
--- YUP, never use it

6. You know you’re a hacker when: you have over 100 people on your buddy
list.
--- Nope no buddy list for me...

7. You know you’re a hacker when: you drool over THINK GEEK apparel.
Whats THINK GEEK ?

8. You know you’re a hacker when: you can name 10 different programming
languages, and only program in 4.
Greater than 10, and Greater than 4

9. You know you’re a hacker when: you change the resolution and/or color
So Many Times...

10. You know you’re a hacker when: you’ve spent more than 4 hours on Quake
for PC or Dreamcast.
Nope Never...

11. You know you’re a hacker when: you keep important passwords on a
floppy…encrypted.
Nope...

12. You know you’re a hacker when: the layout of your website is more clean
than you are.
Haha... yea...

13. You know you’re a hacker when: when someone asks you for your phone
Well i give it in powers and regular expressions...

14. You know you’re a hacker when: you’ve ever had a dream about any source
or Operating System...

15. You know you’re a hacker when: your last meal was Pizza and Mountain
Dew.
Mmm... but make that when: you dined in the morning

16. You know you’re a hacker when: you’ve enjoyed the following movies “The
The Net - Yes... not sure about the other ones...

17. You know you’re a hacker when: you think that your phone is tapped.
18. You know you’re a hacker when: your phone is tapped.
19. You know you’re a hacker when: you have ever gotten up at 3AM, “just to see who is on”.
or What is on... :)

20. You know you’re a hacker when: if you can you read and write ASCII in
hex or octal.
Too complicated...

21. When you hate the GUI interface of every known OS.
Yea, wanna make my own...

22. When you hate using the mouse.
Absoooooooooooooolutely...

23. You do all your work on the terminal.
Ctrl-Atl-F1 -- Yea

24. You know what USB means.
Yup

25. You can feel at home in a Mac, Linux, Windows or a Solaris OS
Cut Windows, and Mac out

26. When you manage different processor architectures in your home.
27. When you manage a Beowulf cluster in your room.
Only one computer for me...

28. When you compile gentoo for 30 minutes.
or BSD...

29. When you manage a shell account remotely encrypted in SSH.
Yup

30. Your password is 20 characters long.
Nah... thats our old pals...

31. You know your a hacker when you can take apart and reassemble your computer blindfolded but you can’t remember where you left your shoes.
Haha...

32.You know your a hacker if you check your emails from the terminal.
Yup... I love to...

For noobs: I think these one are funny...

You walk away from your computer in a public area while you’ve got a logged-on session going (mail, eBanking, IRC, whatever).
You think Internet Explorer is The Internet.
You’re not worried about DRM.
You know you’re a noob when you panic because your desktop icons refresh and you accuse the system admin of hacking into your computer.
--- I have seriously seen such people...

When you think Windows is the only OS out there.
--- This one is sooooo true...

When you think your elite when you change your friendster layout or embed youtube videos on my space.
--- Hehe

When you dedicate your life trying to secure Windows.
When you think that Bill Gates invented the computer.
When you think that Vista is the new frontier for computing.

Bah.. this post is very long... zzzzzzzzzz....

3rdalbum
March 24th, 2007, 01:58 PM
You know you're a n00b when:

You run an anti-virus and anti-spyware scan straight after your computer crashes.

You run an anti-virus and anti-spyware scan after your desktop icons refresh (although admittedly, adding a module to the Windows kernel will cause the icons to refresh, so if unexpected it *could* indicate malicious activity

A friend lets you into the web server software on their computer to download a song. Instead of downloading it, you just open the link in your web browser and then add it to your favourites. You try to listen to it again after your friend goes offline. You e-mail him and complain. (yes, this actually happened)

The friend comes back online and shows you how to actually download the song. After it has finished, you ask them where on your computer the file has downloaded to (yes, this happened as well!)

You buy a digital video camera, and immediately log online to ask your knowlegable friend (who doesn't have a DV camera) how to use the software. (yep, happened too!)

You ask your friend, who only uses Linux, about good DVD ripping software for Windows (this happened too).... then when you've ripped a clip into Windows Movie Maker, you send it to him in .wmv format and wonder why he's the slightest bit tetchy at you (also happened!)

You think that Javascript and Java are the same thing.

You try for hours to install FreeBSD on your computer, simply because you've heard that Mac OS X is very loosly based on BSD, and so you assume that FreeBSD can run Mac programs.

You run the Syllable Live CD for five minutes, think you could do better, and go onto their forums and tell people that you are going to fork Syllable.

samjh
March 24th, 2007, 02:14 PM
Not the wisest of places to discuss these things.

I'll only say that I like to snoop around "wargaming" servers. I've done other hacking with consent of the system owners, but not as a professional.

rolando2424
March 24th, 2007, 02:45 PM
--> 1. You know you’re a hacker when: you have old blank cds under your bed.
Hum... Nope... Does modem count for that? :D

-->2. You know you’re a hacker when: you have over 200 GB in OGGs.
Nope... I'm not the music listening type of guy (very weird when it comes to music)... But I do have all of my mp3 converted to ogg (about 1 GB). I even created a python script for that :D

-->3. You know you’re a hacker when: you have no mail in your most used e-mail
account.
In the website of my email? Nope... All of my email are stored in the hard drive... I use Thunderbird.

-->4. You know you’re a hacker when: you know what the acronym IRC means.
Well, at least I know that...

-->5. You know you’re a hacker when: you absolutely hate the CAPS LOCK key.
Hum... Kinda, I prefer the Right Shift button.

-->6. You know you’re a hacker when: you have over 100 people on your buddy
list.
Hum... Buddy List... That in AIM right? I don't use AIM... I use a little of MSN, but I only have 10 contacts or something.

-->7. You know you’re a hacker when: you drool over THINK GEEK apparel.
Heck, don't we all?

-->8. You know you’re a hacker when: you can name 10 different programming languages, and only program in 4.
Hum... I think I can name 10 different programming languages, but I can only program in one (and even that one...)... Python.

-->9. You know you’re a hacker when: you change the resolution and/or color
Hum... Nope.

-->10. You know you’re a hacker when: you’ve spent more than 4 hours on Quake
for PC or Dreamcast.
Quake 2 counts? Or Return to Castle Wolfstein (the DOS version).

-->11. You know you’re a hacker when: you keep important passwords on a floppy…encrypted.
Nope... I had a shoe box full of floppy disks, but with time (their where unmoved for about 3 years, when I didn't had a computer) they started not to work...

-->12. You know you’re a hacker when: the layout of your website is more clean than you are.
hum... No, and that's why I removed my website (I'll work on it)

-->13. You know you’re a hacker when: when someone asks you for your phone
Nope :D I don't have a phone number.

-->14. You know you’re a hacker when: you’ve ever had a dream about any source
Hum... Not that I can remember.

-->15. You know you’re a hacker when: your last meal was Pizza and Mountain
Dew.
No.I think it was codfish, fried with eggs and soup.

-->16. You know you’re a hacker when: you’ve enjoyed the following movies “The
Hum... I liked "Hackers".

-->17. You know you’re a hacker when: you think that your phone is tapped.
No phone.

-->18. You know you’re a hacker when: your phone is tapped.
Again, no phone.

-->19. You know you’re a hacker when: you have ever gotten up at 3AM, “just to see who is on”.
Nope. But I am awake up and on msn at 3 AM sometimes...

-->20. You know you’re a hacker when: if you can you read and write ASCII in
hex or octal.
Nope.

-->21. When you hate the GUI interface of every known OS.
Hum... it depends, sometimes the GUI just stands in the way... CLI is the way to go :D

-->22. When you hate using the mouse.
Hum... I'm trying to reduce my mouse usage.

-->23. You do all your work on the terminal.
Some of it, yeah.

-->24. You know what USB means.
hum... I don't think so. (Had to use Wikipedia :D)

-->25. You can feel at home in a Mac, Linux, Windows or a Solaris OS
I feel at home on Linux. On Windows, I know how to work with it, but I no longer feel at home (I mean where are the multiple desktops?)

-->26. When you manage different processor architectures in your home.
Nope, just one computer in here.

-->27. When you manage a Beowulf cluster in your room.
Nope.

-->28. When you compile gentoo for 30 minutes.
I haven't tried Gentoo... Yet.

-->29. When you manage a shell account remotely encrypted in SSH.
Nope.

-->30. Your password is 20 characters long.
Hum... Nope

-->You know your a hacker when you can take apart and reassemble your computer blindfolded but you can’t remember where you left your shoes.
I did take apart my old computer and reassemble it (not blindfolded though) and I usually can't remember where I put my shoes (and socks by the way).

-->You know your a hacker if you check your emails from the terminal.
Hum... I still haven't done that... But it's on my to-do list.

By the way:

You know you're a noob when you speak like this "OMG J00 N00B H@X0R!!!111!1111!!!ONEONE!! I PWN U!!!11!!!1!!" and think it's ok...

jgrabham
March 24th, 2007, 03:44 PM
Lol all you need is a proxy.

People at my school got expelled for doing that!

Mind you the content blocker blocks almost everything, try making powerpoints about STDs in sex ed. v.difficult when u cant get the info off the net because its all blocked.

DoctorMO
March 24th, 2007, 06:54 PM
Try doing a report about Sussex County Council; a classic example of joined up thinking because most porn sites don't use words they use pictures so the blockers never function correctly.

It is far better to educate the users and enforce local rules that try for some daft half baked technological solution.

queen_yoshi
March 26th, 2007, 03:00 AM
I used to be one of those terrible people that would create hundreds of bots, inject them into a Yahoo chatroom and then disconnect everyone from the room :lolflag:

Yeah childish and immature it was indeed, but so was the reactions of some of the 'hard core' chatters that were in there! (Anyone would have thought I had cut off their oxygen supply lol)

I accessed a friends computer (with his knowledge of course) and inserted a cool bit of code that changes the start icon in windows to say Boo!! (That was to prove to him how crappy a particular suite of internet security he operated was!!)

Other than that I used to 'reverse engineer' trial software so that it would never expire, and once and once only myself and the IT officer at work 'hacked' into one of the boxes so that we could install that really cheesy fish tank screensaver on it as it was connected to a projector and was projected onto a large wall area!!

I started doing those things as I was getting very bored with Windows, I then discovered linux! :mrgreen:

Other than those childish things (just being a script kiddie basically) I have never cracked and I only hack my own linux installs now to get everything running nicely!

FuturePilot
March 26th, 2007, 03:23 AM
I don't do malicious hacking. I do what you could call educational/useful hacking. Basically just hacking my own computers to get stuff to work right or to get it to look or function in a different way. It lets me learn more about Linux. XGL is a hack right?:)

Bakerconspiracy
March 26th, 2007, 07:21 AM
Trust me, this kid that cracked it was malicious, he tried to clean out the assignment reports, and admin, password protected folders, by using a brute-force attack, he's somewhere in juvenile hall right now for what he done, its a state offence, passed by Sany Garrett about 2 years ago, and we all thank her for it. It makes the kids who are malicious intended to feel the wrath of the government, because you mess with the school, you mess with the future of the nation, you mess with the government.

Frak, you gotta understand he was just a kid. He probably didn't think about the consequences and decided to break into your network. We all make mistakes. I think putting him in jail is a little irrational (I'm not saying he should go unpunished). I think you should put yourself in his shoes..... His life might be ruined now, as you said, you messed with his education.

WalmartSniperLX
March 26th, 2007, 08:49 AM
I once posted in here already about my trojan experiments and proxy workarounds for the schools websensor. But then I realized screwing around like that isnt really hacking, its cracking. Hackers just know a lot about computers, primarily code and scripts. So really, any linux user is a hacker to some degree. Right? :) :lolflag:

Frak
March 26th, 2007, 12:25 PM
Frak, you gotta understand he was just a kid. He probably didn't think about the consequences and decided to break into your network. We all make mistakes. I think putting him in jail is a little irrational (I'm not saying he should go unpunished). I think you should put yourself in his shoes..... His life might be ruined now, as you said, you messed with his education.
We never sent them away their first time, but the Police are nice enough to come by the school and put a little scare in them :guitar:
But then we warned them to not do it again, or the next time they come won't be for show. :lolflag:

macogw
March 26th, 2007, 03:58 PM
I once posted in here already about my trojan experiments and proxy workarounds for the schools websensor. But then I realized screwing around like that isnt really hacking, its cracking. Hackers just know a lot about computers, primarily code and scripts. So really, any linux user is a hacker to some degree. Right? :) :lolflag:

http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html
Howto Become a Hacker, brought to you by the now-Ubuntu-using ESR

Docter
March 27th, 2007, 10:19 AM
Well I had an Amiga in a tower (heavily modded), with a PPCboard and a PCI graphics card. In itself would make me a 'hacker' I suppose, I would take it as a compliment. I hacked the AmigaOS on several occasions to meet my needs (Extra menus, a system debugger etc).. I learned BASIC from the age of 8 on my old speccy, Assembler and C on the Amiga (Demo Scene). Java and all the OOPs on the PC. I 'played around' on the net in the early nineties... but I never got caught. ;)

But compared to some of the people I used to speak to I was little more than a kid fumbling around. Networking was never my thing. Oh.. and L33t sp34k used to be very, very different and served a useful purpose (if you understood HEX).

macogw
March 27th, 2007, 06:11 PM
Well I had an Amiga in a tower (heavily modded), with a PPCboard and a PCI graphics card. In itself would make me a 'hacker' I suppose, I would take it as a compliment. I hacked the AmigaOS on several occasions to meet my needs (Extra menus, a system debugger etc).. I learned BASIC from the age of 8 on my old speccy, Assembler and C on the Amiga (Demo Scene). Java and all the OOPs on the PC. I 'played around' on the net in the early nineties... but I never got caught. ;)

But compared to some of the people I used to speak to I was little more than a kid fumbling around. Networking was never my thing. Oh.. and L33t sp34k used to be very, very different and served a useful purpose (if you understood HEX).

13375P34K is for crackers...how about the hackers dictionary and words like "foo?" and "rehi"?

Scorpion X
April 3rd, 2007, 07:39 PM

EDIT.

First time poster, Long time viewer of these forums.

Yep you're right about the 13 year olds, however I used to be a 13-15 year old hacker. According to my friends (that I still have) I used to be a grey hat hacker, more white than grey. I don't remember those years of my life because my mind has blocked them out. I used to leave messages criticizing or complimenting people's network security.

Also in high school I've used proxies to get past the content filters, THAT I do remember, and I've set up multiple servers, Emulated WoW servers, Ventrilo servers, and Music DJ'ing servers using both windows and linux(Ubuntu). I tweak and modify, and I fully support the open source community, its because of them that I've learned so much.

Pirate - Pirater/Cracker
Ninja - Hacker

I'm a ninja-pirate

n0dl
April 4th, 2007, 06:11 AM
1.Yes I hack, writing code snippets (some are useful), poking my server for security holes, playing with electronics, translating formulas on my calculator, playing with statistics and mechanical physics, and i used to play with telephones ;)
2.Someone once said "Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see..."
3.A long time ago (maybe 4 or 5 years old) when my uncle let me play on his relic Apple II and HP calculator. and an early interest in mechanical physics (skateboard ramps mostly and dominos oddly enough).
4.Reading

FoolsGold
April 4th, 2007, 06:38 AM
I play Uplink, is that good enough? :)

Suck at cracking LANs though. Need more money for the more powerful tools.

sushii.
April 5th, 2007, 04:05 AM
http://www.adequacy.org/stories/2001.12.2.42056.2147.html
OMFG. :popcorn:
I don't think this is a joke...

Punker
April 5th, 2007, 04:19 AM

I don't know sushii the parents spelled Linux wrong I think some of it is funny
I wish I had perfect parent's like that my mom and dad would be like go print up a doctor's degree :lolflag:

stokedfish
April 5th, 2007, 04:22 AM
Of course it's a joke, so very obviously.

How can you not see this?!

dbbolton
April 5th, 2007, 04:23 AM

1. Has your son asked you to change ISPs?
borderline propoganda.

2. Are you finding programs on your computer that you don't remember installing?
because anything that didn't come with the compaq (i.e. notepad and internet explorer) is spyware or hackware.

3. Has your child asked for new hardware?
yeah. hackers are really concerned with hardware.

4. Does your child read hacking manuals?
gee, really ? is that a sign ?

5. How much time does your child spend using the computer each day?
i can really get my research papers and lab reports done in that 45 minute timeframe, dad.

6. Does your son use Quake?
games just distract hackers from doing actual hacking. and shooting people.

7. Is your son becoming argumentative and surly in his social behaviour?
you better force him to join the football team. again.

if they can't spell it, i'm not going to read the paragraph.

9. Has your son radically changed his appearance?
do NOT let your child express himself via fashion, if nothing else.

10. Is your son struggling academically?
if he only had time to type his papers...

i did enjoy the goldeneye link, though.

sushii.
April 5th, 2007, 04:25 AM

If you see the word "LILO" during your windows startup (just after you turn the machine on), your son has installed lunix. In order to get rid of it, you will have to send your computer back to the manufacturer, and have them fit a new hard drive. Lunix is extremely dangerous software, and cannot be removed without destroying part of your hard disk surface.

This is the best rofl

stokedfish
April 5th, 2007, 04:28 AM
No, the comments are even better! ;)

sushii.
April 5th, 2007, 04:39 AM
(S)he gets totally pwned in the comments but they don't even begin to explain.. this is beyond stupidity.

stokedfish
April 5th, 2007, 04:41 AM
Well (s)he doesn't know the difference between a cracker and a hacker either... ;)

EdThaSlayer
April 5th, 2007, 04:47 AM
I read another or similar version of this a long time ago. Still funny though :D .

Dual Cortex
April 5th, 2007, 05:07 AM
It's obviously a joke (and an old one). What's even funnier are the comments of people who think this is serious (not only there but on the forums this has been posted on). Some even bashing the author for mispelling "Linux" ](*,).

rai4shu2
April 5th, 2007, 05:47 AM
My favorite part is in the disclaimer at the bottom:

...taglines "News for Grown-Ups", "Most Controversial Site on the Internet", "Linux Zealot", and "He just loves Open Source Software", and the RGB color value: D7D7D7 are trademarks of Adequacy.org

jjbean
April 5th, 2007, 06:37 AM
This parent needs to do better research. I am a 36 year old parent, and even I know that hackers do not hang out in Quake. They all hang out in WoW! :lolflag:

karellen
April 5th, 2007, 06:56 AM
I've read it for quite long, obvious a joke/irony/satire

Spr0k3t
April 5th, 2007, 07:25 AM
hahaha, I haven't seen that one in years. The guy who wrote it posted it as a joke. The original posting about his admittance has since been killed by a public forum going down. I find it funny though, it was posted to show how uneducated some people can be about their own computer systems.

Oh god, if I could only find an article I wrote years ago titled "Would you like fries with that?" It got published in a couple magazines, Mondo2000 and another ICS rag. Very similar to what this guy was saying, but on the other side of the camp.

regomodo
April 8th, 2007, 01:00 PM
I dabbled in reverse engineering software (machine code/assembly language). Got some success but i found it too time consuming so i gave it up.

I guess that's cracking

fakie_flip
April 9th, 2007, 08:19 PM
Anyone tried metasploit? Hacking is legal if you do it to your own computers or a virtual machine running with VMWare.

Kizilbas
April 13th, 2007, 07:57 AM

EDIT.

I know programmers 15/16 sometimes 14, they can program much better than any programmer out there.

Mathiasdm
April 13th, 2007, 08:09 AM
I know programmers 15/16 sometimes 14, they can program much better than any programmer out there.

Most 14-15 year olds I've seen that can 'program', can do HTML and CSS.
Can you give an example of 'programming much better than any programmer out there'?

Docter
April 13th, 2007, 10:45 AM
Linus was a teenage programmer. So was Jobs and Jay Miner (look this one up),

These people turned their passions into thier careers.

Kizilbas
April 13th, 2007, 11:55 AM
Mathiasdm the 'programmer 'kid(s)' I know can code in:

Web: Java, Php, Asp

C++, System: Assembly, C, Perl (Simply perl is easier & Phython, Ruby..)

When I said 15 I didn't say kids who code in HTML.
I myself hardly know generally about computers but I know HTML, its the easiest Web programming language on earth.
-
Although HTML may seem simple and un-important, it is the bottom layer of 'some' 'Web Programming' languages.

If you want examples you'd have to go have a visit to Turkey.
The Leet kids I'm talking about reside in Turkey, so I don't know how on Earth I could get you to meet them; I probably cannot do so.

Intellectual kids like these in Turkey hardly get a good job, even if they graduate in Turkey :(.

You may think I'm being sarcastic but, I personally call these smart kids 'Poison' or 'Water'. They flow like water and are affective like poison (in a good way).

Thanks for your comment anyway :).

Mathiasdm
April 13th, 2007, 12:05 PM
Linus was a teenage programmer. So was Jobs and Jay Miner (look this one up),

These people turned their passions into thier careers.

Mathiasdm the 'programmer 'kid(s)' I know can code in:

Web: Java, Php, Asp

C++, System: Assembly, C, Perl (Simply perl is easier & Phython, Ruby..)

When I said 15 I didn't say kids who code in HTML.
I myself hardly know generally about computers but I know HTML, its the easiest Web programming language on earth.
-
Although HTML may seem simple and un-important, it is the bottom layer of 'some' 'Web Programming' languages.
Wow, that's very impressive. My apologies if I sounded like I didn't believe you, but it's just surprising to me.
I think it's a very good thing for those kids that they already know so much. I just had no idea.

Oh, and HTML is indeed an easy way to get started with abstract things (typing some code and getting a good looking web page). That's how I started myself.

If you want examples you'd have to go have a visit to Turkey.
The Leet kids I'm talking about reside in Turkey, so I don't know how on Earth I could get you to meet them; I probably cannot do so.

Intellectual kids like these in Turkey hardly get a good job, even if they graduate in Turkey :(.

You may think I'm being sarcastic but, I personally call these smart kids 'Poison' or 'Water'. They flow like water and are affective like poison (in a good way).

Thanks for your comment anyway :).

I'm afraid I can't go to Turkey (I'd love to go some day, I heard it's a beautiful country), so I'll take your word for it.

It's a shame that talented kids often don't get a chance to use their skills in a job.

Thanks for telling me about this, it appears I was rather ignorant about the subject.

tcebak
April 13th, 2007, 01:54 PM
i wish somebody would teach me a little C++ or perl. but intill then i don't really do anything execpt explore random connections. oh and back in high school i used to chat to my friend via command prompt. it made me fell cool. lol. but the true meaning of hacking is awesome! you basically know a secret code and that code allows you to make programs which can do anything you want!

Kizilbas
April 13th, 2007, 02:07 PM
Mathiasdm actually I apologize, I didn't give you a contemporary explaination or a conclusion about the subject so you were a bit confused.

My point wasn't to make you believe anything, but I wanted you to realise that young peoples don't only know basic html & all that load.
They know a lot more infamous than computer programmers out there looking to 'be cool & shinny' and sell themselves in advertisements.

I appreciate your reply :).
Good day

Kizilbas
April 13th, 2007, 02:48 PM
tcebak you can download a c++ compiler, find very good 'teaching' - tutorial sites on Google. You can get tons of books of c++.

You must teach yourself, if you're looking for a teacher. The teacher will be in the university/college blah blah :)

Good luck remember always look for yourself

Docter
April 13th, 2007, 03:30 PM
You should already have a c++ compiler.. it's called gcc. If not just install "build-essential" then go here:

http://www.freeprogrammingresources.com/freetutr.html

tada... you're a hacker.

tcebak
April 13th, 2007, 03:44 PM
Thanks for the tips. i figure i will look into books. because if i read something online i get distracted to easily. but is there a certain book you like (i know there are going to be a crap ton but just checking)

Docter
April 13th, 2007, 04:07 PM
http://www.codebeach.com/index.asp?tabID=5&categoryID=3&subcategoryID=103

Not really a fan of C++ personaly. "Linux Programming Unleashed" is an excellent book which deals mostly in C.

I taught myself C with "The C Programming Language" by Brian Kernighan and Dennis Ritchie. The original edition served for many years as an informal specification of the language.

Oh.. and if you want some friendly advice I'd suggest developing the ability to concentrate while reading online (I know it can be difficult).. but when it comes to reproducing example source code the clipboard is your friend.

Kizilbas
April 13th, 2007, 05:50 PM
Yep definately agree:

I'd suggest developing the ability to concentrate while reading online (I know it can be difficult).. but when it comes to reproducing example source code the clipboard is your friend.

hhhhhx
January 25th, 2008, 09:16 AM

ROTFLMAO!!!!!

bufsabre666
January 25th, 2008, 09:26 AM
OH NOES!!!!! ima hackez nowz

im in ur internetz uzin AMD chipz

Scarath
January 25th, 2008, 10:10 AM
BEWARE THE LUNIX!

This is gold! But it just has to be a joke!
Heres my favorite bits:

BSD, Lunix, Debian and Mandrake are all versions of an illegal hacker operation system, invented by a Soviet computer hacker named Linyos Torovoltos, before the Russians lost the Cold War.

Wow linux is cooler than i thought!

I keep a fatherly eye on the CDs they listen to and the shows they watch, the company they keep and the books they read. You could say I'm a model parent.

HA! nice

After a few days of investigation, and some research into computer hacking, I confronted Peter with the evidence. [...] Peter betrayed the principles we tried to encourage in him, when he refused point blank to admit to his activities. His denials continued for hours,

Maybe thats cos he's not a hacker? I'd love to see what this guys definition of a hacker is lol

If your son has requested a new "processor" from a company called "AMD", [...] American processor chips [....] AMD chips are never sold in stores, and you will most likely be told that you have to order them from internet sites.

What planet is this guy on?

Quake is an online virtual reality used by hackers. It is a popular meeting place and training ground, where they discuss hacking and train in the use of various firearms.

Doesnt he know that the matrix is real? sheesh what a n00b. Anyone who played Quake for 3 minutes is of course then proficient with all manner of future weaponry ...

Is your son becoming argumentative and surly in his social behaviour?

E.g. is he a teenager?

Thanks for the link this is f3ckin brilliant

loell
January 25th, 2008, 10:24 AM
heh, time and time again, so many had stumbled into this archived, funny article, for LoLzz :mrgreen:

I couldn't find it in the forum archive, but sometime back in 2006 , there was a poll here

"If we should be prison for using lunix" in relation to the url above. of course majority of the forum members voted YES!!! :lolflag:

laxmanb
January 25th, 2008, 11:38 AM
How old is this? Would have been funny in 1993.

loell
January 25th, 2008, 11:56 AM
its been roughly 7 years now :popcorn:

wersdaluv
January 25th, 2008, 12:01 PM
I posted this last year and people made fun of me because it's old, apparently.

insane_alien
January 25th, 2008, 12:02 PM
How old is this? Would have been funny in 1993.

thats roughly when it first appeared.

Takmadeus
January 25th, 2008, 01:08 PM
wow... this is old stuff.... but its good to remember the old times :p

fatality_uk
January 25th, 2008, 09:10 PM
People don't do spoofs this good any more :|

FuturePilot
January 25th, 2008, 09:22 PM
Even though this has been posted before it still makes me laugh. It's classic. :lol:

Sporkman
January 25th, 2008, 10:03 PM
More general silliness:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=3310373&postcount=18

Techwiz
January 25th, 2008, 10:06 PM
It is a joke, it is filed under "internet idiocy". But it is still very, very funny. :lolflag:

hhhhhx
January 25th, 2008, 10:07 PM
i actualy found the link in a post on the UF, posted it in the cafe to see what would happen :):)

Limvot
January 25th, 2008, 10:14 PM
Nice. Love it. I was worried that someone actually thaught that for a secound.

urukrama
January 25th, 2008, 11:30 PM
"If we should be prison for using lunix" in relation to the url above. of course majority of the forum members voted YES!!! :lolflag:

Here. (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=310634)

hhhhhx
January 26th, 2008, 12:57 AM
its not linux its Lunix!!!!

Linuxratty
January 26th, 2008, 02:44 AM
I'm going to jail!?
NNnnnnnNnoooOooooZZZZ!!!!!!!

Takmadeus
January 26th, 2008, 03:52 AM
so the guy was not being serious?.... man, htis i saw so long ago that i cannot remember if it was even true :(

Now let us hint people to see a man's distended anus (hello.jpg) just for the sake of old times :)

(if you don't know what that means, don't bother googling it, really, no kidding

Specter043
January 26th, 2008, 04:50 AM
That was awesome.

Google Spider
May 2nd, 2008, 02:58 PM
This article made me ROFl and I want to share with you all :mrgreen:

Specially this:

haha "Lunix" :lolflag:

I hope my dad doesn't read this article :D

-grubby
May 2nd, 2008, 02:59 PM
lol, I've seen this before. Still funny nevertheless

jaredbuck
May 2nd, 2008, 03:08 PM
Lol!!!

sports fan Matt
May 2nd, 2008, 03:11 PM

Victormd
May 2nd, 2008, 03:13 PM
Is this for real??? I must say... WOW!!! I'm amazed at the ignorance some demonstrate... yeah, a new video card is grounds for hacking... HAHAHAHHAA

SuperSon!c
May 2nd, 2008, 03:15 PM
rofl! also, some of that site is NSFW - just a warning.

KaliVoid
May 2nd, 2008, 03:19 PM
add a few "$h!t" & "Crap" and it will sound like Eddie Murphy's stand-up...

hardyn
May 2nd, 2008, 03:20 PM
if you liked that check out "ubuntu" @ uncyclopedia

Hutom
May 2nd, 2008, 03:23 PM
hmm...quite informative. In fact I have already installed it](*,)

Tux Aubrey
May 2nd, 2008, 03:29 PM
This was by "Shelley the Republican" who is my window on America. I understood nothing until I started reading Shelley.

He reviewed Ubuntu 8.04 last week.

http://www.shelleytherepublican.com/the-definitive-review-of-ubuntu-linux-804-hardy-heron

Go Shelly!

:popcorn:

evil316
May 2nd, 2008, 03:29 PM
Actually quite a lot in this article is not true but I can't get into all of it right now. You see it wasn't written by Microsoft at all. Actually Linux was written by a secret group of scientoligists called the Xenophobites. These mad computer geniuses have actually created a computer operating system that will suck your soul out. Think about it, how many Linux gurus have you ever met that have souls? They aren't even real people, they are artificial intelligence programs, that's why they are only "seen" online. Xenophobites....remember it. Your soul is as good as gone. I'm going back to the bat cave. Sure, I use linux but everyone that understands Linux knows you have to wear a tin foil hat while operating it. The sould leaves out the top of your head and the rays can't penetrate tin foil. Good luck!

fmartinez
May 2nd, 2008, 03:37 PM
WOW! 2 rocks can have kids!

-grubby
May 2nd, 2008, 03:43 PM
For those that don't know, this article is pure satire

Hutom
May 2nd, 2008, 03:45 PM

Really? :confused:

seatex
May 2nd, 2008, 03:50 PM
I was thinking it might make a good logo tagline...

"Ubuntu - Get Infected!"

Wobedraggled
May 2nd, 2008, 04:11 PM
Good stuff.

swoll1980
May 2nd, 2008, 04:27 PM
The old Is your son trying to install Linux? Its illegal! He is a hacker. Stop him!
a Ubuntu forums regular

-grubby
May 2nd, 2008, 04:31 PM
Really? :confused:

yes, I remember reading a follow up by him explaining that it was satire and that people shouldn't leave stupid comments

bilal.17
May 2nd, 2008, 04:42 PM

regomodo
May 2nd, 2008, 04:50 PM
as old as the internet itself. Still humorous mind you.

SuperSon!c
May 2nd, 2008, 07:19 PM

unheard of!!

HangukMiguk
May 2nd, 2008, 07:40 PM

Also in breaking news: The Boston Red Sox won the World Series.

satipera
May 2nd, 2008, 07:52 PM
yes i read something simmilar on shelley the republican as well, a long while ago very funny, slightly off topic but where do people stand on the shelley the republican website a clever spoof or a nutter?

Foster Grant
May 2nd, 2008, 08:57 PM

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter. [/HomerSimpsonDOH!]

:)

STR has to be satire. Nobody could be that empty-headed.

akiratheoni
May 2nd, 2008, 09:13 PM
Ha. Nothing like a good satire to brighten up your day :P

Midwest-Linux
May 2nd, 2008, 10:27 PM
"This article made me ROFl and I want to share with you all

Specially this:
Quote:

If you see the word "LILO" during your windows startup (just after you turn the machine on), your son has installed lunix. In order to get rid of it, you will have to send your computer back to the manufacturer, and have them fit a new hard drive. Lunix is extremely dangerous software, and cannot be removed without destroying part of your hard disk surface."
----------------------------------------------------------------

Did Ballmer write that?

hardyn
May 3rd, 2008, 07:47 AM
report any lunix activity to big brother... be diligent...

Tundro Walker
May 3rd, 2008, 09:06 AM
OMG! Lunix turning kids into hackers, and D&D making them worship the Devil!

Blasphemy! We need a good, old-fashions witch hunt! Round up a few random folks who are unpopular outcasts of the general public, and burn them at the stake! That'll nip this in the bud right quick!

Man your torches and pitch forks, Fellow Angry Mobsters! We have work to do!

frup
May 3rd, 2008, 11:24 AM
About a year and a half ago I made a simple php mail form on my localhost that allowed me to spoof the "from" address. Not really anything complicated. I then sent my mother an email based up on that but going far deeper and making her worry that I had been arrested and was going to be extradited to the USA and might even get the death penalty.

It was the best lulz I have ever had. She's still scared of linux even though her mother now uses it!

stinger30au
May 3rd, 2008, 11:54 AM
hahahahahaha, that is very funny...

the last line sums it all up though

It cannot be taken too seriously.

Cyberponcho
May 10th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Simply hilarious :)

Sp|ke
May 10th, 2008, 07:59 PM
Thanks guys that gave me a good laugh. The comments are even better, the number who have become (in effect) troll bait is simply hilarious.

~S