PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu cant find wireless nextwork

tallbus1
June 1st, 2009, 10:31 PM
The title says it all, I am using an old(2005ish) Compaq laptop Ubuntu was partitioned and installed by Wubi 9.04 i believe...I click the little network thing at the top right, and my network doesnt show up I have no idea what to do

tallbus1
June 1st, 2009, 10:59 PM
bump

jrothwell97
June 1st, 2009, 11:36 PM
First, check your wireless card is switched on.

Is there an empty 'wireless' section in the menu which drops down from the network manager icon? If not, you may need to install additional software (drivers) to get it to work.

Alternatively, your router could simply have SSID broadcast disabled, in which case you'll have to enter things manually. Go to System/Preferences/Network Connections.

Good luck.

tallbus1
June 2nd, 2009, 12:54 AM
Actually the wireless menu is blanked out...like i cant click it as is the wired one....I have my wireless card turned on...do i need that ndiswrapper or whatever

starcannon
June 2nd, 2009, 01:03 AM
Well lets see whats showing up first.

iwconfig

and

sudo lshw -C network

post the output of those commands in a codebox if you can.

GL

tallbus1
June 2nd, 2009, 01:04 AM
Ill get back to you as soon as possible im currently studying for a test as well so youll have to forgive me.

tallbus1
June 2nd, 2009, 01:36 AM
ashton@ubuntu:~$ iwconfig
lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

wmaster0 no wireless extensions.

wlan0 IEEE 802.11bg ESSID:""
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.412 GHz Access Point: Not-Associated
Tx-Power=0 dBm
Retry min limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr=2352 B
Power Management:off
Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

pan0 no wireless extension

ashton@ubuntu:~$ sudo lshw -C network
[sudo] password for ashton:
*-network:0 C
description: Ethernet interface
product: RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+
vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:05:00.0
logical name: eth0
version: 10
serial: 00:c0:9f:a5:6c:2e
size: 10MB/s
capacity: 100MB/s
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd autonegotiation
configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=8139too driverversion=0.9.28 duplex=half latency=64 link=no maxlatency=64 mingnt=32 module=8139too multicast=yes port=MII speed=10MB/s
*-network:1
description: Network controller
product: BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller
vendor: Broadcom Corporation
physical id: 2
bus info: pci@0000:05:02.0
version: 02
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: bus_master
configuration: driver=b43-pci-bridge latency=64 module=ssb
*-network:0 DISABLED
description: Wireless interface
physical id: 1
logical name: wlan0
serial: 00:90:4b:ef:a3:73
capabilities: ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11bg
*-network:1 DISABLED
description: Ethernet interface
physical id: 2
logical name: pan0
serial: 9e:f6:94:eb:02:e0
capabilities: ethernet physical
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=bridge driverversion=2.3 firmware=N/A link=yes multicast=yes

I also realized that in Windows there is a small Blue button to activate my network card that won't turn on when i press it in ubuntu... these are the results of an iwconfig and sudo lshw -C network thing

tallbus1
June 2nd, 2009, 01:50 AM
Bump...I'm sorry for being so annoying, but id really like to figure this out.

tallbus1
June 2nd, 2009, 02:24 AM
Sorry for the quadruple post, but my computer uses something called "HP Wireless Assistant" to connect to the internet is there a driver i can use to make this little blue light turn on (turn on my wireless card), and further connect to the wireless network im on.

When i go under network adapters in my Device MAnager in windows i get these three things:

1394 Net Adapter
Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN
Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC

tallbus1
June 2nd, 2009, 03:22 AM
bump

shizumasa14
June 2nd, 2009, 03:27 AM
Which release are you using?

kerry_s
June 2nd, 2009, 03:32 AM
did you install the firmware?

sudo apt-get install b43-fwcutter

tallbus1
June 2nd, 2009, 08:22 PM
Im using the new 9.04 I think its Jaunty Jackalope, Ill try this firmware, even though i have no idea what it will do lol :) Ill get back to you

tallbus1
June 2nd, 2009, 08:29 PM
so i did

sudo apt-get install b43-fwcutter

And it says it can't find the package...

tallbus1
June 2nd, 2009, 08:50 PM
Switching between my OS's is really getting annoying I need to figure something out...

bodhi.zazen
June 2nd, 2009, 09:10 PM
It appears your net work card is working, at least it is listed in iwconfig.

Now configure it :)

Are you using WEP / WPA ?

tallbus1
June 2nd, 2009, 09:18 PM
I dont know the difference, I know i sound stupid, but I'm not sure, if you could explain it to me.

tallbus1
June 2nd, 2009, 09:20 PM
Also i added bodhi.zazen to Yahoo...if youd like to help me there

tallbus1
June 2nd, 2009, 09:43 PM
bump

tallbus1
June 2nd, 2009, 10:37 PM
Just so people know, I'm going to continue bumping this until somone decides they want to help...

halitech
June 2nd, 2009, 10:44 PM
just so you know, bumping a thread every 5 minutes will get you attention but not the attention you want from the mods

have you checked the restricted drivers to see if its there?

System>Administration>Hardware Drivers

starcannon
June 2nd, 2009, 11:33 PM
just so you know, bumping a thread every 5 minutes will get you attention but not the attention you want from the mods

have you checked the restricted drivers to see if its there?

+1 the Hardware Drivers utility should handle that card no problem.

Just go to:
http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/724/hardwaredriversmenu.png
Then Choose Your WiFi Card from the list in this Window (yours will have different hardware listed than mine does.
http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/1783/hardwaredrivers.png

You may need to do a quick Reboot, can't remember for sure, its been awhile since I dealt with a restricted WiFi card, but anyway, once its loaded, you should then be able to see Hotspots listed when you click on the Network Manager Applet in the upper right hand corner of your Desktop(top toolbar, right hand side).

GL and Have Fun.

tallbus1
June 2nd, 2009, 11:38 PM
Actually there is absolutely nothing there...I'm not sure what to do, Ive also tried a couple apt-get's and it says it cant find the packages do you think the install is corrupt? (I used WUBI)

starcannon
June 2nd, 2009, 11:45 PM
First, it may be useful to get online with an ethernet cable, this will allow you to update and download any required items.

Second if you still get nothing available in the Hardware Drivers utility, then you can always try Ndiswrapper, I've had great success with it in the past as well.

sudo apt-get install ndisgtk ndiswrapper-common ndiswrapper-utils-1.9 b43-fwcutter

P.S. I included fwcutter in the command, again you will have to have an internet connection going to pull this off correctly, some or all of this may be on the cd, but it won't neccessarily be the same version as contained in the online repositories.

GL and have fun.

tallbus1
June 2nd, 2009, 11:55 PM
So I have to be on an internet connection to use the above commands?

starcannon
June 3rd, 2009, 12:05 AM
So I have to be on an internet connection to use the above commands?
I would recommend it, that or if they are available on the CD, not sure what all is on the CD to be honest, I just use it to install, then I plug in an ethernet cable and grab my updates, and restricted drivers that way.

tallbus1
June 3rd, 2009, 12:29 AM
I sent you a PM, but it said it wasnt able to find that package so im going to have to do it manually from windows because i dont have acess to an ethernet, i need you to tell me how.

imilio123123
August 31st, 2009, 06:45 PM
I had the problem that installing the "new" ubuntu 9.04 from Dell my wireless didnīt (do not) work at first and in " System --> Administration --> Hardware drivers " I activated it and worked (I had to re-start the laptop).

The thing is that I just migrated to Linux --> to Ubuntu and I donīt know much about the "Terminal", many solutions searched before are for me too difficult to solve with the terminal, so this was really easy to do, [ but I think I was lucky to see there my wireless card (I could also see my nvidia card but nothing else, so, really lucky I think) ]

Anyway, thank you " Starcannon " for your post about " Hardware Drivers ", I just didnīt know about it.