PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Workspaces won't work! Weird!

phorgan1
June 1st, 2009, 09:27 PM
I'm on Ibex using gnome and get strange behavior. My workspace switcher in the bottom panel has two spots, and if I click on the second one, I get an empty workspace with no panels, and from which <CTRL-ALT-TAB> show's no applications whatever. <CTRL-ALT><some-arrow> switches me around four workspaces, none of which are my original one, and none of which have panels. Then, <ALT-F2> pops up a run program dialog and I can put things into the new workspace. From the workspace, running gnome-panel results in a message that I can't run it because it's already running. killall gnome-panel makes panels appear! Then I can go to the workspace switcher in the bottom panel and finally get back to my original workspace which has no panels now! Still <CTRL-ALT-TAB> from either workspace show only the applications in that workspace. Running killall gnome-panel from the original workspace gets panels back there too, and using the workspace switcher from the bottom panel allows me to verify that the second workspace still has panels. <CTRL-ALT-somearrowkey> From either workspace lets me browse through 4 workspaces, but they don't overlap. i.e. you can't get to the first from the second nor vice-versa, so I have two sets of four. Playing around with compiz settings gets different effects, but not the right ones, i.e. turning on the ring-switcher doesn't result in the ring-switcher being used when hitting <ctrl-tab>.
When switching switchers I get messages about keyboard bindings conflicting with e.g. the static switcher, and accepting these don't result in any switcher that can see both workspaces. (or both sets of workspaces???) Help!!!

Patrick