PDA

View Full Version : HP Mini 1120nr (and 1000?) owners: Would you be interested in a custom Ubuntu .iso?

aysiu
June 1st, 2009, 08:39 PM
I tried to like the Mobile Internet Experience (HP's customized and severely crippled version of Ubuntu 8.04). It looked beautiful, but it simply was not usable.

I did a little research on using Ubuntu netbook remix and/or the lpia kernel, and I ended up going for just vanilla Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty), because I could see no evidence of significant performance gains from using the lpia kernel, and I just don't like the netbook remix interface.

Basically, most stuff works with vanilla Ubuntu, but I had to do some tweaking to get sound to work properly, to get the sound settings to stick, and to get wireless to wake up more quickly on resume from suspend.

Recently, in another thread, a forum member mentioned Remastersys, and I gave it a try. It's awesome! It allows you to easily take a Ubuntu installation and make it into a live/installer CD.

So I'm wondering a few things: How many forum members actually own an HP Mini 1120nr or 1000 (I'm assuming 1000 is the same hardware but just not with Mobile Internet Experience preinstalled)? How many of those forum members would be interested in a customized Ubuntu .iso? Since I don't want to eat up my server's bandwidth and I don't have a desktop computer to seed a torrent for a long time, are there any forum members who do have desktops who would be willing to download the .iso off my server and seed it for others who want it? Would people be pissy and demanding about what they think should be on the .iso, or would they be content with what I have on by default as long as everything works, knowing that they can uninstall and install software later themselves once it's installed? If there seems to be a significant chunk of HP Mini 1*** members interested in this .iso, a couple of volunteers willing to host it, and not too many whiners wanting me to change this and that in the .iso, I may work a bit on this .iso and then upload it.

Let me know what you think.

Regenweald
June 1st, 2009, 09:53 PM
This remastersys thing could turn out beautifully. I'd seed if i could, but rarely ever get 6+ kb up in utorrent since i downgraded my connection. I think this is a great idea for the more technical users with commercially built machines who would not mind re-mastering a system for the newbies.

aysiu
June 2nd, 2009, 05:39 PM
Well, given that I have only one respondent so far (thanks, Regenweald), I don't anticipate going over my bandwidth limit.

I'd still appreciate it if folks with desktop computers could help me seed a torrent for it, though.

For any HP Mini 1120nr owners, I created a little project homepage for it, along with a link to its (non-torrent) download:
http://www.psychocats.net/hpminiremix

fortfun
June 10th, 2009, 08:57 PM
I would do absolutely anything to get rid of the crap that came with my 1120nr!!! I have been trying to get 9.04 on it via USB and can't get it to boot from there. If you have step by step directions I will gladly try it out.

aysiu
June 10th, 2009, 09:16 PM
The step-by-step instructions are here:
http://psychocats.net/hpminiremix/download/

I can go into more details if you need help with UNetBootIn or booting off USB in particular. Let me know.

fortfun
June 11th, 2009, 06:21 AM
I have the Ubuntu remix 9.04 downloaded, but haven't been able to get yours downloaded for some reason. Otherwise I have the USB formatted and ready to go.

drawkcab
June 11th, 2009, 06:31 AM
I don't have the mini but I do have an eeepc. eeebuntu is great little distro and comes in a base install with just a couple applications.

If you started something like that, a base install built up from the alternate install cd for .04 and tweaked for the hp mini, I'd have to think that folks would be very interested in trying it out.

fortfun
June 11th, 2009, 03:43 PM
I have tried downloading 3 times and it gets about 89% done and fails, any ideas?

aysiu
June 11th, 2009, 04:04 PM
I'll see if I can get it up hosted on another site. Hold on.

stewjack
June 11th, 2009, 05:01 PM
My computer is only active for about 8 to 10 hours a day so a cannot be an initial seeder. However I would be happy to seed when my computer is available. I help distribute Democracy Now's daily shows by torrent.

I am currently running XP, and only occasionally use Linux. I don't even have a netbook, just a desktop. However I consider getting Linux on netbooks a worthy goal.

Jack

I will follow this thread.

aysiu
June 11th, 2009, 05:10 PM
Thank you, stewjack. Any help with seeding would be much appreciated.

Since my netbook is really my only computer (I have a desktop at work, but torrents are not allowed at work; and my wife's laptop gets really hot if left on for too long), I don't have any practical means for seeding it myself.

By the way, I'm working on a second version of the Ubuntu HP Mini Remix that will include an lpia kernel, the Glassy Bleu theme and wallpaper from the original HP Mie interface, and hopefully a better solution to the wireless-taking-too-long-after-resume problem.

By the way, if anyone knows anything about networking and modules, can you weigh in on this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1184657). It relates directly to my supposed "better solution." I'd really like to get second or third opinions on it before implementing it for other people.

aysiu
June 11th, 2009, 06:35 PM
I have tried downloading 3 times and it gets about 89% done and fails, any ideas?
Okay. I've got a second download location. I hope this works for you:
http://files.filefront.com/ubuntuhpmini904iso/;13887772;/fileinfo.html

fortfun
June 11th, 2009, 09:30 PM
Well I got about 90% there again, on 2 different tries and 2 different computers, and the same error came up as not being able to connect to the server. Not sure what else to do???? I appreciate your help and can't wait to get something other than the stock Mi on here.

aysiu
June 11th, 2009, 09:47 PM
Well I got about 90% there again, on 2 different tries and 2 different computers, and the same error came up as not being able to connect to the server. Not sure what else to do???? I appreciate your help and can't wait to get something other than the stock Mi on here.
I'm not sure what to tell you.

Are other people having this problem? Is there anyone with a desktop computer willing to seed a torrent for fortfun and others?

fortfun
June 12th, 2009, 03:17 PM
Finally got it on my desktop, I'll let you know how it goes.