PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] To upgrade or not to upgrade?

matamoscas
June 1st, 2009, 08:16 PM
2 second background...

I have installed Kubuntu 8.04 (after cycling through 6 through 9), and found it to be the best fit for my hardware. 9 looks great, but makes my fans blaze non-stop.

My question is..since I am not opposed to updating my existing software, but I DO NOT want to upgrade to 9.04:

If I go through Adept, and update all available updates, will I end up with 9???

MichaelSammels
June 1st, 2009, 08:23 PM
If you update the kubuntu-core package, yes.

matamoscas
June 1st, 2009, 08:38 PM
Thanks for the quick reply.

Ok, I guess I will just update as a I need to, and not in bulk.

=(

mcduck
June 1st, 2009, 08:41 PM
2 second background...

I have installed Kubuntu 8.04 (after cycling through 6 through 9), and found it to be the best fit for my hardware. 9 looks great, but makes my fans blaze non-stop.

My question is..since I am not opposed to updating my existing software, but I DO NOT want to upgrade to 9.04:

If I go through Adept, and update all available updates, will I end up with 9???

No, you won't. Updating to new distribution version will never happen simply by installing normal updates, or without specifically asking if you want to do that or not.

Unless you tell the package manager to start looking for programs in another Ubuntu release's repositories it will only look for packages available in your current version. You can safely install all updates that are available.