PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problem in HDD detection

joyneo04
June 1st, 2009, 07:53 PM
Dear all,
I am a new user of ubuntu.Recently i received the cd of ubuntu 9.04.Earlier i was using ubuntu 8.04.so to install the new version i formatted my hdd through the partition manager.After formatting i saw a block mentioning as unallocated one.so i tried to allocate it as new partition and when i click the applied button the whole cell was covered with black outline.then when i tried to install the newer version,in step 4 it was saying it can't detect the hard disk,saying no root file system mentioned.
I want to know whether my hard disk has gone for a toss,or what else can i do to make the hard disk again uasable with ubuntu....

Regards
Satyabrata Sarkar
+91-9740833897

joyneo04
June 1st, 2009, 07:54 PM
Dear all,
I am a new user of ubuntu.Recently i received the cd of ubuntu 9.04.Earlier i was using ubuntu 8.04.so to install the new version i formatted my hdd through the partition manager.After formatting i saw a block mentioning as unallocated one.so i tried to allocate it as new partition and when i click the applied button the whole cell was covered with black outline.then when i tried to install the newer version,in step 4 it was saying it can't detect the hard disk,saying no root file system mentioned.
I want to know whether my hard disk has gone for a toss,or what else can i do to make the hard disk again uasable with ubuntu....

Regards
Satyabrata Sarkar
+91-9740833897

73ckn797
June 1st, 2009, 08:03 PM
If you have no other OS installed then boot again from the CD and delete all partitions and start over with a single partition. I have not experienced what you describe, however. If you get the same problem you will need to check the drive for errors.

From boot disk go to terminal and enter
fsckand see what it will tell you. Maybe run the command as a first measure.

joyneo04
June 1st, 2009, 08:16 PM
sir,actually m giving you some details,
i was having 80gb hdd,
20gb , 20gb, nd 40gb.
my earlier version was installed in 20gb,so this time i thought of making a partition of 8 gb from the 40gb section and install the new version in that section.i did it from the partition manager.but after formatting the drive that contains the earlier version i saw the .
20gb 20gb 8mb linux swap covered with maroon colour outline rest amount before change 20gb 20gb linux swap removed rest amount
20gb formatted 20gb unallocated section
20gb 20gb new partituion to do
covered with black colour outline,wn tried to apply change covered with black colour outline,wn tried to apply change covered with black colour outline,wn tried to apply change

this thing,this was the step done by me...kindly suggest.as m quite worried about the situiation.

joyneo04
June 1st, 2009, 08:19 PM
sir please find the attached sheet which will make you a little bit clear abot the problem,,,kindly suggest....

LewRockwell
June 1st, 2009, 08:33 PM
If there is nothing on the hard drive that you need then I would use DBAN to totally clean the hard drive. Then you can partition and install as you desire.

joyneo04
June 1st, 2009, 08:40 PM
what is dban and how can i run it

joyneo04
June 1st, 2009, 08:43 PM
kindly give me the whole procedure and links as i am a very beginner in this field...i use hit and trial method...so please do me this favour.

LewRockwell
June 1st, 2009, 08:47 PM
http://www.dban.org/

joyneo04
June 1st, 2009, 08:53 PM
thanks a lot....your active coperation means a lot to me....

joyneo04
June 1st, 2009, 08:55 PM
sir....gt the answer....first running DBAN and then after making new partition...let me try this as well as yours one....thanks for your active cooperation....;)

LewRockwell
June 1st, 2009, 08:56 PM
you could also use http://www.killdisk.com/ if for some reason the DBAN doesn't work for you.

Cornbreadly
June 1st, 2009, 09:02 PM
For simplicity's sake, you may just beable to reformat the partition in the installed. Dban and killdisk will render the all information unrecoverable on the HD. You do not need to do that for normal home usage.

Select the guided option in the installer that wipes the HD. That would be the easy way.

joyneo04
June 2nd, 2009, 08:19 PM
Sir whatever you are saying i am unable to understand as i can't see any of these option....right now i trying to run dban but how to run it....i am giving you the entire procedure i was following.....

Downloaded thedban software.....
version was flash drive version.....
i connected my flashdrive into the usb port....
then i booted my computer....
it was showing....
GRUB loading stage 1.5
GRUB loading....please wait
Error 22,

what does it mean....

also i am giving you the config of my system...
Motherboar Mercury,Intel processor,80 gb SATA HDD, Linux new 9.04 version installer cd,.
Now provide me the step i have to follow.

please do bear with me as i am a very new user.

joyneo04
June 2nd, 2009, 08:23 PM
please do me this favour...i will remain ever grateful to u all....