PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How do I install Java?

Ubuter
June 1st, 2009, 06:12 PM
Hi,
I need help Installing Java on my Ubuntu 9.04. I'm not that new to Ubuntu, but I still can't get Java working. What Version do I download and how do I install it?:(
Please Help,
Ubuter

Therion
June 1st, 2009, 06:15 PM
Quickest way, in my opinion, is to simply open a terminal and type in (Cut and Paste):
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extrasFollow the prompts, agree to the EULA's etc., and you're good to go.

Ubuter
June 1st, 2009, 09:31 PM
How do I know It's installed?
I did as you said but this> online recording program (Here (http://www.screentoaster.com/record)) does not work. it freezes on "loading java applet".
HELP AGAIN,
Ubuter

oldos2er
June 2nd, 2009, 12:24 AM
You may need to install sun-java6-plugin as well:

sudo apt-get install sun-java6-plugin

gordintoronto
June 2nd, 2009, 02:36 AM
I went to Cool Math Games, clicked on "Java games," picked the first one, and Firefox said, "you need to install more stuff, click here to install it." Worked like a charm.

With my previous Ubuntu installation, I muddied the waters by installing some stuff which was not from Sun. Never did get Cool Math Games working.

How do I know It's installed?
I did as you said but this> online recording program (Here (http://www.screentoaster.com/record)) does not work. it freezes on "loading java applet".
HELP AGAIN,
Ubuter

Ubuter
June 3rd, 2009, 05:02 PM
Well, i went to cool math games
and went to the classic java games section. clicked a random game. Firefox said plugins are needed. clicked that and 3 pligins were listed:

The icedtea web browser plugin
the java(tm) plug-in, Java se 6
The java(tm) plug-in, Java se 5.0when I clicked next, I had to type in my pass, which i did. then it loaded and said an error occured.
It said:

E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
E: _cache->open() failed, please report.it was the same for the rest of the plugins. HEEEEEEEEEELP!:(

Therion
June 3rd, 2009, 05:04 PM
Open a Terminal and type in (just cut and paste) the following:
sudo dpkg --configure -a
and follow the prompts if you get any.

dragos_iliescu_2005
June 3rd, 2009, 05:54 PM
Well, i went to cool math games
and went to the classic java games section. clicked a random game. Firefox said plugins are needed. clicked that and 3 pligins were listed:
when I clicked next, I had to type in my pass, which i did. then it loaded and said an error occured.
It said:
it was the same for the rest of the plugins. HEEEEEEEEEELP!:(

Open Synaptic, make a search for 'sun-java'; rigth-click and select to reinstall all packages related to sun-java.
For firefox to 'have' java, just install 'sun-java-plugin'

indianinside
June 3rd, 2009, 05:54 PM
You can see some documentation here

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Java

Ubuter
June 3rd, 2009, 08:58 PM
Open a Terminal and type in (just cut and paste) the following:
sudo dpkg --configure -aand follow the prompts if you get any.
I did what therion said, and click install for the updates again. they all installed, but when i restarted firefox it said plugins needed clicked and the same were there. click install for the icedtea and when it loaded is said already installed, same 4 the rest. But the game still does not work. do I like need to resart my computer or what? HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP!

Ubuter
June 3rd, 2009, 09:47 PM
:KSnever mind, its working now!
Java games for me! :-)