PDA

View Full Version : MSI Wind U123 Problem

PrivatePastry
June 1st, 2009, 05:22 PM
Hi, I just recently bought a msi u123 netbook, and installed ubuntu netbook remix on it. the netbook has all of its functions (wireless on/off, webcam on/off, etc) built into the function keys (as opposed to switches on the front/side of the netbook). it has a program called "System Control Manager" that runs in xp, but isnt compatible with unr. this program controls all the function keys.

When i am running unr, a select few of the function keys work (brightness, volume) but not all of them. I would like to be able to use all the functions like i can in xp. is there a patch program i can install or something to alleviate this?

Thanks,
Geoff

starcannon
June 1st, 2009, 06:13 PM
I'm not sure if the link I'm gonna give you is u123 specific, but it is definitely a great resource for all things MSi Wind. So, here it is http://wiki.msiwind.net/index.php/Linux_Portal

There are forums, with a great community there as well; we have a u100 and it works excellently out of the box with Ubuntu 9.04, we didn't try the Netbook Remix out on it yet. We did swap out the wifi card for an intel one though.

GL

PrivatePastry
June 2nd, 2009, 02:32 AM
Alright, I think I figured it out. Most of the buttons still work, but there are no icons displayed on the screen. The System Control Manager program was responsible for displaying the icon on the screen when you toggled the wifi, touchpad, etc.

As for the webcam, it turns on automatically when you open up cheese, which is actually nicer than having to do it manually like on xp.

Thanks for the link starcannon.

brucekev
January 21st, 2010, 01:59 PM
I'm not sure if the link I'm gonna give you is u123 specific, but it is definitely a great resource for all things MSi Wind. So, here it is http://wiki.msiwind.net/index.php/Linux_Portal

There are forums, with a great community there as well; we have a u100 and it works excellently out of the box with Ubuntu 9.04, we didn't try the Netbook Remix out on it yet. We did swap out the wifi card for an intel one though.

GL

Hi, I have a MSI U123 with 9.10 Remix on it, and am having trouble with the brightness fluctuating and no webcam functioning. The above link is dead, does anyone know where I can get some help?

Many Thanks!

brucekev
January 25th, 2010, 03:22 AM
I have found that if I hold a right click in the status bar problem for a few sec. it will stop flashing and then I can work normal until the computer goes to sleep and wakes up again.

If any one has a permanent fix I am interested in knowing!

Also the video camera does not work under remix 9.10 for the u123.

SPazzo
January 25th, 2010, 03:38 AM
OK brucekev, the MSI Winds are having trouble with Ubuntu 9.10. I know the exact brightness problem you are experiencing. My suggestion is to install 9.04 instead. That's what I did.

There appears to be a solution by updating BIOS. It's kind of complicated, but if you do know what you're doing, read this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1376976