PDA

View Full Version : [kde] Should I install KDE in Ubuntu?

Junereth
June 1st, 2009, 04:15 PM
Hi, I'm looking forward to trying out Ubuntu for the first time. I've been a Windows user all my life and thought I'd try a Linux distro for the heck of it in the hopes that I'll find something better than Windows. I've decided to try installing Ubuntu since a few people I know are using it and because it was also recommended by some others. I tried out all x/k/ubuntu using some Live CDs I downloaded, and I found that I like the way Kubuntu looks and feels. I also discovered that I could install KDE in Ubuntu, which would be like having the best of both worlds, I guess.

Thus, my question here is whether I should go ahead with that course of action, or are there some issues that I don't know about? Would I be better off just installing Ubuntu or Kubuntu separately?

YenTheFirst
June 1st, 2009, 06:37 PM
Hi, Junereth.

It kinda depends on what you want. Would you be only using KDE? or would you want to be able to switch back and forth between KDE and Gnome?

If you opt for both, you can always install the kubuntu-desktop package, which should depend on all the standard KDE programs and frontends. If you decide you don't want some of those, you can safely remove them, and the kubuntu-desktop is just a virtual package, to bring everything in.

One other question: which version of Kubuntu live CD did you try out? Older versions (8.04 and earlier) use KDE 3.5, while the newer ones generally use KDE4. There are some differences between 3.5 and 4, so you might want to take that into account too.

Junereth
June 1st, 2009, 07:42 PM
I'd like to be able to go back and forth in case there are some applications I want to use that can only be used in one of the environments. So I guess that settles it then :)

Also, I tried out version 9.04 of everything (*buntu)

MadnessRed
June 1st, 2009, 08:18 PM
I'd like to be able to go back and forth in case there are some applications I want to use that can only be used in one of the environments. So I guess that settles it then :)

no not really, you can run kde program in a purely gnome enviroments provided you have the required kde libraries to run them. For example I have kmess on my Ubuntu, and it has the KDE libraries needed to run it, but my computer is only gnome, I can't log ni as KDE or anything.

Timtro
June 1st, 2009, 10:59 PM

No need. Programs should be cross-compatible as long as you have the right libraries. This isn't Windows :) On that note, welcome to Linux.

So, stick with the one you like. A lot of Windows users tend to like KDE. I hear a lot of KDE users complaining about bug issues since 4.0, but that said, they are still KDE users, so that says something. I like Gnome, fluxbox and Openbox, but I wouldn't recommend either of the latter to new users since they are window managers, not desktop suites like KDE and Gnome.

Gnome users enjoy the combination of stability and speed. By default, it's not a frilly as KDE, but you can make it so if you like.

One other way to be sure is to wait a little while and look at the programs you use most. If the majority are KDE based, then use KDE and vise versa. This makes some sense because those libraries I mentioned do take some time to load, so you will find better performance running natively.

At any rate, have fun.

Best regards,

Tim.

Junereth
June 2nd, 2009, 01:04 AM
Haha, I did read about that but totally forgot about it. Anyway, I already installed the kubuntu package (haven't tried it yet since i'm too busy >_<) but yeah, thanks for the welcome and the replies. hoping to have fun with this

MadnessRed
June 2nd, 2009, 12:57 PM
Haha, I did read about that but totally forgot about it. Anyway, I already installed the kubuntu package (haven't tried it yet since i'm too busy >_<) but yeah, thanks for the welcome and the replies. hoping to have fun with this

i know the feeling, well enjoy.

GhostWolf
June 2nd, 2009, 01:05 PM
i have a question my main thing is i found a theme but its only for kde 3.5 is it possible to install something to my gnome im using ubuntu 8.04 LTS. i am a new linux user and have tried using kubuntu but i've used ubuntu for least a month and know where all the apps n everything is. so i just want something that i can install just so i can have the theme thats mainly for kde if there is without having stability problems all together i'd give it a shot.. thanks

MadnessRed
June 2nd, 2009, 01:54 PM
i have a question my main thing is i found a theme but its only for kde 3.5 is it possible to install something to my gnome im using ubuntu 8.04 LTS. i am a new linux user and have tried using kubuntu but i've used ubuntu for least a month and know where all the apps n everything is. so i just want something that i can install just so i can have the theme thats mainly for kde if there is without having stability problems all together i'd give it a shot.. thanks

you could try converting it to a gnome theme, but I'm not sure how hard that would be, another option would be to do pretty much the opposite of the threa, and use KDE with the relevant gnome libraries to run your program.

Alternatively you could try compiz with emerald, if you computer will run it, you may find a them you like even more for that. Could you send me a link to the theme in question.

GhostWolf
June 3rd, 2009, 01:05 AM
Madness thanks for the reply, im not great or even a person who does any kind of grapic designs including themes so trying to convert them to make it work on gnome would be out of the question. but didn't know if there was a way, im going to try to email the person who made the theme first if he can't change the theme to gnome then i'll post the link for you again thanks for the reply

3startuna
June 3rd, 2009, 07:05 AM
I think you should do what I did.

Install ubuntu.

then start up the terminal and type

sudo apt-get install kde-desktop

Then all you do is at the login screen select option then change session (i think thats what it is) and switch between gnome and KDE whenever you want.

I didnt like KDE so much for some reason. I find its a bit too restrictive and overly simplified for my needs.

Oh also you can customize Gnome ALOT. here is a screen shot of my desktop

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/7655/screenshoterq.png

(yes i just finished tweaking it and wanted the attention haha)

MadnessRed
June 3rd, 2009, 03:22 PM
ok no problem.

GhostWolf
June 3rd, 2009, 09:59 PM
3startuna i did that but some problems i had i couldn't find where the themes and appearance was at i even googled to find an answer and where they showed wasn't there but if switched back n forth from gnome n kde to me sounds like i wouldn't be able to use the theme i want to use whenever im in gnome

3startuna
June 4th, 2009, 02:51 AM
3startuna i did that but some problems i had i couldn't find where the themes and appearance was at i even googled to find an answer and where they showed wasn't there but if switched back n forth from gnome n kde to me sounds like i wouldn't be able to use the theme i want to use whenever im in gnome

You cant run KDE themes in Gnome

GhostWolf
June 4th, 2009, 06:28 AM
3startuna yes i know i never asked to install kde themes in gnome

GhostWolf
June 5th, 2009, 07:31 AM
Madness here is the link for that theme, the guy never responded to any of my emails. http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php/Underworld+theme?content=36554 if you can help me to even have me make this theme or convert it to what is used for gnome themes it'll be appreciated thanks

MadnessRed
June 8th, 2009, 04:23 PM
http://www.moviemaze.de/media/wallpaper/1870/underworld-evolution.html

there are the wallpapers,

the startmenu, take a look at GnoMenu, there is a theme there quite similar.

the panels could be done using images maybe,

ill see how close to it I can get with gnome.

NinjaNumberNine
July 8th, 2009, 11:52 PM
Just a quick question, does anyone have display problems with Jaunty?

I went back to Intrepid for stability, but now any time I load a program it turns the screen black and goes straight back to the login screen. ](*,)

NinjaNumberNine
July 8th, 2009, 11:54 PM
By the way my ubuntuforums account still shows that I have Kubuntu but I changed back to Ubuntu recently. ;)

Zorael
July 9th, 2009, 01:12 AM
First off, cookie for you for trying out all of Ubuntu, Kubuntu and Xubuntu before deciding: @

KDE is either "like Windows" or "like Mac" depending on which gnomey you ask. ;3 The "frills" are also very opt-in; you can make it as basic as you like.

I didnt like KDE so much for some reason. I find its a bit too restrictive and overly simplified for my needs.

Oh also you can customize Gnome ALOT.
Hum, I'm not sure I agree. GNOME aims for simplicity by design, and succeeds to lengths that I find restricting. I like to change the size and contents of my toolbars, for instance, since I have a small screen on my netbook. As for AWN, (which is technically also frills,) it's an app, so you can run it in either environment. Likewise Compiz runs nicely under KDE too, if you don't like KWin's effects.

The one thing I feel KDE is really missing is a good browser. That doesn't stop you from installing Firefox or Chromium, but there is no conduit between those and Nepomuk (http://nepomuk.kde.org) and Akonadi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akonadi), which would let you access that browser's bookmarks, history, statistics, etc from other apps. So you'd miss out on some of the neat semantic desktop stuff that's come in recent KDE4 releases.

Konqueror, Arora and Rekonq plays nice with Nepomuk+Akonadi, but the first uses KHTML to render pages (which doesn't do a good job of it), and the latter two are very early in development, still fighting to reach critical mass as the default browser. (Konqueror needs to step down.)

Use whichever environment you like, and use whichever apps you like. You'll get more consistency if you stick to KDE apps and run KDE though, and likewise GNOME/GNOME apps - not just in design and appearance, but how things are integrated. But that's far from a necessity.