PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu stuck in install menu

jfcromp
June 1st, 2009, 01:12 PM
Yesterday I tried to install the latest version of ubuntu on my computer. Everything was going fine, I was at the Region/Country selection page when my computer stopped because of a electricity shortage in my appartment.

Now I try to restart the installation but I'm stuck in the menu of the CD, whenever I click on an option there's a Boot Loader popup, for instance if I click on Install Ubuntu, there's a popup "Live-Install", but nothing happens.

Can anyone help me?

madverb
June 1st, 2009, 01:17 PM
Are you sure the computer wasn't damaged from the short?

jfcromp
June 1st, 2009, 01:21 PM
The computer is still ok because I'm able to boot to Windows.

lake54
June 1st, 2009, 01:23 PM
Could be that the disk is damaged - you never know really.

Perhaps try another disk or burning a fresh image.

James

madverb
June 1st, 2009, 01:23 PM
You could try resetting your BIOS to optimised defaults.

jfcromp
June 1st, 2009, 01:30 PM
I'll try with another CD. How do I reset the BIOS, is there an option straight from the BIOS menu?

lake54
June 1st, 2009, 01:37 PM
Usually, or perhaps in an Advanced menu. It shouldn't be too hard to find - often when you're quitting the BIOS it'll take you to a screen.

James

madverb
June 1st, 2009, 01:38 PM
Yeah, there should be an option in the BIOS

jfcromp
June 2nd, 2009, 01:30 PM
It's me again.

I tried resetting the BIOS, no luck.

I tried with another version CD of Ubuntu I had (7), I'm able to start the installation from the graphic menu but it stops after a couple of seconds with this error message:

<0> Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill the idle task!

Is the previous installation that crashed still trying to run in the background?

jfcromp
June 3rd, 2009, 12:59 PM
I finally got it working. I did what I read in other threads that I wouldn't believe, but I just switched my two RAM stick and everything was working correctly after that!