PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] GIMP - How to select a person from the background?

adit
June 1st, 2009, 11:31 AM
I have a photograph of a person. There are trees in the background. I am not able to select only the background and delete it. The free select tool is not accurate. If I use select by color, some regions in the foreground also get selected.

kapi
June 1st, 2009, 12:45 PM
Hi there,

have you tried the intelligent scissors they perform a clever function where by in most cases the selection path around the object clings as closely as possible, just click from point to point and the selection will automatically adjust.

hope this helps, other wise the alternative is to expand the view to say 200% and then use the selection too (left next to the magic wand) and painstakingly click your way around the subject. takes much patience though

Kapi

Daveski
June 1st, 2009, 01:18 PM
A good tip is to split the coloured image into components R, G and B (decompose into layers). You usually find that one of the channels has a much better contrast between your foreground and background to assist with creating the selection / mask.

archdlx
June 1st, 2009, 04:35 PM
Couple of good tips there, folks!
Helps me too :)

Thank you!