PDA

View Full Version : Looking for new broadband (UK)

hyperdude111
June 1st, 2009, 11:31 AM
I'm looking for a new broadband supplier, my current connection with UKonline is only 1mb/s and my family downloads far too much for that slow speed.

The use will be high, about 50gb/month downloads and some torrenting and OS downloads.

What im looking for is a broadband:
-cheaper than £20 per month
-Al least 2mb/s preferably more
-No download limit
-No filtering, my bro loves TPB

I have done some searching but found nothing great, please help.
Thanks

Greenwidth
June 1st, 2009, 11:35 AM
If you want torrents, DO NOT use Talk Talk.

ViRMiN
June 1st, 2009, 12:11 PM
Looked at Be?

ssam
June 1st, 2009, 12:25 PM
-cheaper than £20 per month
-No download limit

good luck. most of the 'unlimited' packages have 'fair usage' policy, which is basically a limit.

t0p
June 1st, 2009, 12:29 PM
Have you looked at the Post Office's home broadband deal? I've been considering it, as it covers net plus phone for a pretty low price. Dunno what the actual service is like though, the reality of these things rarely match up to their advertised ideal...

nolliecrooked
June 1st, 2009, 12:36 PM
Do. Not. Use. Aol!

ummmmmm thats supposed to be all capitals? why am I being forced into lowercase?

Xbehave
June 1st, 2009, 12:37 PM
virgin throttle the hell out of anything they think are torrents but you can be sneeky -http://allyours.virginmedia.com/websales/service.do?id=2
ive heard good things about be
uk free software network cost a bit more and are capped but don't mess with anything - http://www.ukfsn.org/home/internet/adsl/ (£28 for 60gb/month and offer 2mb/s)

1mb/s is probably find, you may just be getting throttled

steev182
June 1st, 2009, 12:42 PM
Be Pro is what you want.

www.bethere.co.uk

iTrickU
June 1st, 2009, 12:54 PM
Tiscali Broadband is pretty good, i've only needed tech support once but it was fine. They don't seem to be capping anything but i'm not sure it will stay that way after the buyout of the UK devision of tiscali, if it changes i will most likely move to O2, they seem to be the cheapest.

eth0 / monthly

month rx | tx | total
-------------------------+--------------+--------------------------------------
Mar '09 104.50 GB | 16.14 GB | 120.64 GB %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%::
Apr '09 82.68 GB | 13.63 GB | 96.30 GB %%%%%%%%%%%%%::
May '09 108.27 GB | 32.91 GB | 141.19 GB %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%:::::
Jun '09 196.03 MB | 20.77 MB | 216.79 MB
-------------------------+--------------+--------------------------------------

Whatever you do AVOID SKY BROADBAND. I've had tiscali for 4 years and we got sky last year after the broadband tv and phone package was introduced but it was a nightmare, they kept billing us for broadband and never connected us. Customer services left us on hold for hours and after holding for a while the line is dropped, when we got through they promise to sort it but nothing ever got resolved. In the end we cancelled, which is a shame really, i liked the tv packages.

I think watchdog did a feature on them

hyperdude111
June 1st, 2009, 01:01 PM
Be Pro is what you want.

www.bethere.co.uk

Be pro looks good, i read their fair usage policy and saw this

If it’s felt that any Be member’s Internet activities are so excessive that other members are detrimentally affected, Be may give the member generating the excessive web traffic a written warning (by email or otherwise). In extreme circumstances, should the levels of activity not immediately decrease after the warning, Be may terminate that member’s services.

However i dont think it come to that my current ISP have a similar policy and have not ever contacted us so i think its good.

steev182
June 1st, 2009, 01:46 PM
I continually exceed 100GB a month with be. I've been contacted once and that was when a friend of mine was round, opened his bittorrent client and was seeding a copy of Winzip.

But after over a year with them, it's been pretty happy times.

hyperdude111
June 1st, 2009, 03:43 PM
I continually exceed 100GB a month with be. I've been contacted once and that was when a friend of mine was round, opened his bittorrent client and was seeding a copy of Winzip.

But after over a year with them, it's been pretty happy times.

You were contacted, ah my brother might need a proxy.

steeleyuk
June 1st, 2009, 04:35 PM
I'm on Be. If you need a referral, let us know. You get the connection fee waived AFAIK and I get a month free. :)