PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing Eremove

lotster
June 1st, 2009, 10:22 AM
Hi! I downloaded Eremove (a POP3 E-mail remover) because I get lots of unnecessary e-mails that simply eat up my bandwidth. I used the Windows version of Eremove for quite some time, but now I want to make the switch to Ubuntu permanently. So I downloaded Eremove for Linux, and inside it there's a readme file that says the following:

"Currently, it's pretty no frills in the compiling department.
Ensure you have gtk 1.x and the gtk headers installed somewhere, and then
simply :

make
make install

This will compile eremove, and install it to /usr/local/bin

RUNNING
--

To run Email Remover, simply run the command :

eremove"

That's the closest thing I get to installation instructions. Any ideas about how I can get it installed? I tried the "make" and "make install" commands in the terminal, but it keeps on giving me error messages...

Thanks!

lake54
June 1st, 2009, 10:27 AM
I'm new to Linux as well, so I'm hazarding a guess at what I've seen so far:

Have you tried running the terminal from the folder (i.e. changing directory) and trying the commands from there? Also how about using sudo make etc...

Sorry if that's all wrong

James

Partyboi2
June 1st, 2009, 10:59 AM
Hi, open a terminal (Applications>Accessories>Terminal) and install libgtk1.2-dev

sudo apt-get install libgtk1.2-dev Then change to where you have downloaded the eremove-bin-1.4.tar.gz file, so for example if you downloaded it to the Desktop type

cd ~/Desktopthen extract it with

tar xvzf eremove-bin-1.4.tar.gzthen change into the newly created source directory with

cd eremove then run the program with

./eremove If you downloaded the eremove-src-1.4.tar.gz one instead you would need to install the build-essential package as well

sudo apt-get install build-essentialthen follow the above steps except the last one instead of typing ./eremove you would type

make
sudo make install

lotster
June 1st, 2009, 11:42 AM
Most excellent! Thanks for the help! I tried extracting it using the GUI extractor previously, and tried to run it from the gui, but it wouldn't run. Now it's sorted! Thanks a million!