PDA

View Full Version : Linux only

paddydd
June 1st, 2009, 08:03 AM
Hi,
Apparently there are going to be "smartbooks" some type of netbook computers that use a QUALCOM CHIP called the SNAPDRAGON. The article states that these devices will not run the MS-WINDOWS OS and will only run Linux. The quote with attribution and link to full article are shown below.

This certainly sounds like good news for Linux. Has anyone heard of this? Is the OS to be used UBUNTU?

Paddy

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2347890,00.asp

Article: Qualcomm Shows Off Snapdragon Smartbooks
By Mark Hachman
PCMAG.COM
6/1/2009

quote from article...

"A drawback is that the Windows operating systems do not run on either of the two Snapragon processors: the 1-GHz QSD8x50, a new, upgraded 1.3-GHz QSD8650A, and the 1.5-GHz, dual-core QSD8672. That means that any smartbooks produced using the chip must run Linux, which consumers have seemed to shy away from, at least where netbooks are concerned. "

DeadSuperHero
June 1st, 2009, 08:07 AM
Wow, that's a really great interface! I think if I have money within the next few months, I'll definitely buy one!

gashcr
June 1st, 2009, 08:10 AM
I just wonder... where's the drawback?? :D

CJ Master
June 1st, 2009, 08:13 AM
http://www.hellosmartbook.com/index.html

Looks very awesome. :D

Probably going to be ask expensive as heck though...

jrusso2
June 1st, 2009, 08:55 AM
I just wonder... where's the drawback?? :D

Where's the beef? I mean applications.

gashcr
June 1st, 2009, 09:29 AM

I'm pretty sure most of the apps 99% of the users will be likely using on these things will be ported.

nolliecrooked
June 1st, 2009, 09:34 AM
that looks really sweet, but the specs for the 3D chip are kinda crappy.

zipperback
June 1st, 2009, 09:55 AM

If it's running Linux, then getting applications for it shouldn't be much of a problem.

If the application you want to run is open source, you would pretty much just need to download the source code, compile it, and install it on the smartbook.

- zipperback
:popcorn:

Sef
June 1st, 2009, 10:54 AM
Article: Qualcomm Shows Off Snapdragon Smartbooks
By Mark Hachman
PCMAG.COM
6/1/2009

quote from article...

"A drawback is that the Windows operating systems do not run on either of the two Snapragon processors: the 1-GHz QSD8x50, a new, upgraded 1.3-GHz QSD8650A, and the 1.5-GHz, dual-core QSD8672. That means that any smartbooks produced using the chip must run Linux, which consumers have seemed to shy away from, at least where netbooks are concerned. "

I notice that he does not say what area or areas of the world is being talked about. And how the notebooks are being bought.

t0p
June 1st, 2009, 11:31 AM
Um, stupid question probably. But why can't these things run a Windows OS? I mean, if an Eee PC 701 can run XP, why can't a snapdragon?

*braces self for inevitable flames*

hyperdude111
June 1st, 2009, 11:33 AM
Not too keen on this idea, its like the apple chip only allowing OSX to be installed on macs (legally).

Linux is about open and choice, we should not force people to use it.

omar8
June 1st, 2009, 11:38 AM
Um, stupid question probably. But why can't these things run a Windows OS? I mean, if an Eee PC 701 can run XP, why can't a snapdragon?

*braces self for inevitable flames*

The atom processor (and VIA one) uses the x86 instruction set while this SnapDragon processor uses the ARM instruction set. Windows NT can only run on x86 and x64 instruction sets. Therefore Microsoft will need to port Windows and this depends on how large a market share snapdragon gets really. It is supposed to be an easy kernel to port but I think the porting is probably the easiest part for most systems anyway, the issue is once it has been ported most drivers will not work and many programs will need some kind of virtualisation layer which will be difficult to integrate on a low powered netbook.
I think it will be more likely Microsoft will end up porting to ARM if the processor ends up quite popular, especially since Qualcomm has the capital (and looking at it the product) to make SnapDragon a popular choice with netbook manufacturers (now with Intel under the magnifying glass I doubt we will see any underhand play by them but they do have a reputation...)

Chame_Wizard
June 1st, 2009, 12:08 PM
More concurrency,more joy.=D>\\:D/

t0p
June 1st, 2009, 12:34 PM
Not too keen on this idea, its like the apple chip only allowing OSX to be installed on macs (legally).

According to what omar8 told me, this isn't really like the Apple thing at all. Snapdragon isn't designed to be linux-only - it's Windows that is incompatible with it, not vice versa.

Anyway, I think it's cool because it will be an incentive for people to switch. You won't get folk buying the snapdragon smartbooks then swapping the linux os for a pirated copy of XP. This could really help improve linux's "market share".

Xbehave
June 1st, 2009, 12:42 PM
Not too keen on this idea, its like the apple chip only allowing OSX to be installed on macs (legally). More like when apple used PPC, the chipset had many advantages.

I'm fairly sure this won't be running ubuntu as ubuntu only ship officially support x86, it will probably be some debian based distro thoug

The applications will be easy to port but most gui apps are much less tested on arm so stability may be an issue

omar8
June 1st, 2009, 12:45 PM
Yes, I would like to point out that it is nothing like apple using modified components to limit where it's operating system can run.
Even if you wanted to install Linux on this netbook you wouldn't be able to just use the same install as the one used for your computer, you would have to download the specific ARM version of Ubuntu and I think you would need to recompile most of the programs for use with the ARM instruction set - an advantage for Opensource as all you would have to do really is just recompile for ARM whereas this is not possible with closed source software.

EDIT: Beaten by Xbehave :)
EDIT 2: It seems that Ubuntu wouldn't have a lot to do for it to be ported to ARM as there is already a debian port for ARM (can be seen here http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/5.0.1/arm/iso-cd/)

koleoptero
June 1st, 2009, 02:28 PM
Hi,

This certainly sounds like good news for Linux. Has anyone heard of this? Is the OS to be used UBUNTU?

Sounds more like bad news for the manufacturer to me.

bruno9779
June 1st, 2009, 02:42 PM
Qualcomm website states:

"Support for Windows Mobile®, Android, and a number of Linux®-based operating systems"

maybe XP cannot be installed but Mobile can?
Still, if it would run with linux only, you would have the freedom of choosing betweed 10000 distros.

monsterstack
June 1st, 2009, 03:03 PM
Qualcomm website states:

"Support for Windows Mobile®, Android, and a number of Linux®-based operating systems"

maybe XP cannot be installed but Mobile can?
Still, if it would run with linux only, you would have the freedom of choosing betweed 10000 distros.

Yes, the Windows Mobile range of operating systems run on ARM-based processors. Windows XP and friends do not.

In this case, it isn't a manufacturer forcing Linux on people. There is no option to install Windows XP purely for technical reasons. If you really want XP or 7 on one of these devices, ask Microsoft to port their OSes to work on ARM chipsets.

toupeiro
June 1st, 2009, 04:13 PM
Despite the fact that Snapdragon is an ARM chip, at some point vendors have to cut the XP umbilical cord. I mean, the OS was released in 2001... That was quite some time ago. Microsoft has been trying as hard as they can to kill it, and it just seems .. crazy .. to bring out new, innovative devices running an eight year old Operating System. In the 90's, 8 years of development saw MS-DOS 6.22, Windows 95, Windows NT 4.0 and Windows 98. Imagine it's 1998 and a new vendor is trying to push their brand new product with DOS...

DCK
June 1st, 2009, 04:25 PM
Windows CE runs on ARM, and it'll probably be a matter of time before it gets ported to the specific SnapDragon architecture. It's totally crap, but it's Windows.

However, this is more like a mobile phone OS or navigation system OS, and I don't think people care as much as much what runs on them. This should be good for Linux usage.

nolliecrooked
June 1st, 2009, 04:27 PM
Despite the fact that Snapdragon is an ARM chip, at some point vendors have to cut the XP umbilical cord. I mean, the OS was released in 2001... That was quite some time ago. Microsoft has been trying as hard as they can to kill it, and it just seems .. crazy .. to bring out new, innovative devices running an eight year old Operating System. In the 90's, 8 years of development saw MS-DOS 6.22, Windows 95, Windows NT 4.0 and Windows 98. Imagine it's 1998 and a new vendor is trying to push their brand new product with DOS...

exactly. who would want to use a reliable, quick and easy OS?

gashcr
June 1st, 2009, 09:04 PM
actually, I recently saw a video of an eeepc with snapdragon running android, and it looked sweet.

@noolie, the video chip is actually excellent, on new models it lets you record and play HD video, and play really neat 3d games, with a ridicously low power consumption.

It's just that ARM arquitecture is far more efficient than X86...

Sealbhach
June 1st, 2009, 09:56 PM
You couldn't really call this device a PC, could you? It's more like a beefed up mobile phone or something.

CJ Master
June 1st, 2009, 10:18 PM
You couldn't really call this device a PC, could you? It's more like a beefed up mobile phone or something.

You could call anything a beefed up moblile phone.

"Hey - check out my psp!"

"Eh, it's just a beefed up mobile phone."

"O_o"

monsterstack
June 1st, 2009, 10:31 PM
You could call anything a beefed up moblile phone.

"Hey - check out my psp!"

"Eh, it's just a beefed up mobile phone."

"O_o"

You have to admit it's an interesting point, though. I mean, if ARM-based netbooks turn out to be really popular, Microsoft will probably attempt to downplay it by announcing something along the lines of, "Don't worry, shareholders! Netbooks aren't real computers!"

Pogeymanz
June 1st, 2009, 11:48 PM
Great news to me!

Tell me, can ARM processors scale up to regular computer capabilities? Or are they mostly limited to low-power devices?

gashcr
June 1st, 2009, 11:56 PM
Great news to me!

Tell me, can ARM processors scale up to regular computer capabilities? Or are they mostly limited to low-power devices?

they surely can, they are used normally on these devices because they are more efficient (as all their execute operations are done in 1 clock cycle). Is for that reason that you probably won't see these guys running at 2+ Ghz. They just don't need to. Actually, these processors can easily kick any atom's ***. They are not used massively on desktop computing because of the dominance of x86 commercial apps. However, it's proven they work better...

Pogeymanz
June 2nd, 2009, 01:37 AM
Well, crap. We need Mark Shuttleworth to dump some money into a hardware company to make some kick-*** ARM-based Linux PC's.

gashcr
June 2nd, 2009, 02:12 AM
Well, crap. We need Mark Shuttleworth to dump some money into a hardware company to make some kick-*** ARM-based Linux PC's.

mmm, actually, I like that idea... ¬¬

Pogeymanz
June 2nd, 2009, 02:59 AM
Yeah, man. Just because some inferior OS's at Redmond can't run on the latest and greatest hardware doesn't mean the rest of us need to be limited. Jeeze.

When is Windows going to catch up to Linux on the desktop?

bruno9779
June 2nd, 2009, 03:18 PM
Yeah, man. Just because some inferior OS's at Redmond can't run on the latest and greatest hardware doesn't mean the rest of us need to be limited. Jeeze.

When is Windows going to catch up to Linux on the desktop?

Actually Windose is more or less still affected by "copy apples syndrome"

omar8
June 2nd, 2009, 03:31 PM
Actually Windose is more or less still affected by "copy apples syndrome"

? Whats that? explain please.

azangru
June 2nd, 2009, 06:19 PM
Here's PCWorld being skeptic about these little babies:

Qualcomm's Snapdragon platform, billed as "smartbooks," sounds like a promising new product. It’s yet another variant of netbook and it has a number of features that existing netbooks lack, including GPS, all-day battery life, and an “instant on” operating system.

My problem with smartbooks? They use Qualcomm’s Snapdragon processor, which is based on ARM architecture. That means its operating system will probably use a proprietary Linux variant, most likely Android. One thing is for sure, it won’t run Windows.

Haven’t the markets already spoken? Hasn’t the slew of returned Linux-based laptops already demonstrated that people still want Windows on their netbooks? The reason is simple: People want their netbooks to run the same applications as their desktops and notebooks.

So sad! And the saddest of all is that it might be true :sad:

gashcr
June 2nd, 2009, 06:33 PM
From the very same article...

"I love the new features that Qualcomm is promising, but there’s no reason (with the exception of “instant on”) that these features can’t be implemented on a Windows based netbook."

OK, does this guy really knows what an ARM processor is? Can't he realize all those features are impossible to implement on a X86 model?

I hate when people mislead readers that way...

racerraul
June 3rd, 2009, 02:29 AM
I was gonna get a netbook but I am going to hold out for one of these...