PDA

View Full Version : Wow. My mediocre Intel laptop handles Compiz pretty well...

Pogeymanz
June 1st, 2009, 06:08 AM
I just have to say, I just installed Compiz (over XFCE) and it's not any slower than Xfwm4. More memory, yes, but not slower.

My specs are such:
Compaq Presario C500 (C stands for CHEAP!)
Processor: Intel Pentium Dual Core T2060 @ 1.60 GHz, 533MHz FSB, 1MB L2
Graphics: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/PM/GMS
RAM: 1GB DDR2, not sure what speed

I know that the hardware is not terrible, but I just assumed that the integrated graphics would give me trouble. This is with Jaunty, but I downgraded Xorg and intel driver to the 8.10 versions...

Still, I just have to say I'm impressed. Is anybody else running Compiz on integrated graphics?

nolliecrooked
June 1st, 2009, 06:18 AM
I just have to say, I just installed Compiz (over XFCE) and it's not any slower than Xfwm4. More memory, yes, but not slower.

My specs are such:

I know that the hardware is not terrible, but I just assumed that the integrated graphics would give me trouble. This is with Jaunty, but I downgraded Xorg and intel driver to the 8.10 versions...

Still, I just have to say I'm impressed. Is anybody else running Compiz on integrated graphics?

my laptop handles it like crap, cos I have ATi :(

monsterstack
June 1st, 2009, 06:27 AM
My VIA laptop manages to run Compiz, but it displays a mirrored up-side down image when it does. Also the VIA drivers for Jaunty aren't done yet. The Linux VIA drivers do a pretty good job for 2D, though. Severe hate at VIA integrated graphics.

Giant Speck
June 1st, 2009, 06:32 AM
I have the same graphics card, Pogeymanz, and Compiz works pretty well.

I just with the blur plugin worked. :(

don_quixote
June 1st, 2009, 06:39 AM

My specs are such:

I have similar crappola (T2310 1.46 GHz X 2 + Intel 965) and Compiz works just fine indeed. I was also similarly impressed.

perce
June 1st, 2009, 07:15 PM
I have the same and I've been running beryl/compiz for two years.

Kareeser
June 1st, 2009, 08:01 PM
Your stats aren't bad at all... I have a laptop with the 8xx series, and it still runs Compiz fine :)

Some jitters, but overall still quite great.