PDA

View Full Version : Need a lot of help with a Dell N-Series Netbook

bronxbomberz41
June 1st, 2009, 03:40 AM
Any help would be appreciated on this.

Got a relative who had purchased a Dell N-series netbook and for a while she loved it but has since encountered problems with it and knew that I used ubuntu and asked for my help. this seems to be a bit over my head though

List of problems
1) OS can not charge the battery so it always has to run off of AC power. There is a message stating this at startup
2) No internet connection. It recognizes the network card and wireless card and when an ethernet cord is plugged in the lights flash on the port but I can't connect to the webz.
3) Very slow and out of memory...I think I can fix this by cleaning up the HD though...
4) some sort of "Launcher" across the top of the desktop that I've never seen and I can't seem to get rid of
5) no terminal to try and do any troubleshooting with.. :(
6) Applications Menu has NOTHING in it when it is clicked

It may be just my unfamiliarity with the netbook remix and any customization that Dell may have done. Can I just create a USB bootable disk to try and clean this up with the 9.04 version of the netbook remix? I think she started getting these problems like a month ago or something and maybe had a bad upgrade...not sure. Any help is appreciated!

June 1st, 2009, 04:23 AM
Any help would be appreciated on this.

Got a relative who had purchased a Dell N-series netbook and for a while she loved it but has since encountered problems with it and knew that I used ubuntu and asked for my help. this seems to be a bit over my head though

List of problems
1) OS can not charge the battery so it always has to run off of AC power. There is a message stating this at startup
2) No internet connection. It recognizes the network card and wireless card and when an ethernet cord is plugged in the lights flash on the port but I can't connect to the webz.
3) Very slow and out of memory...I think I can fix this by cleaning up the HD though...
4) some sort of "Launcher" across the top of the desktop that I've never seen and I can't seem to get rid of
5) no terminal to try and do any troubleshooting with.. :(
6) Applications Menu has NOTHING in it when it is clicked

It may be just my unfamiliarity with the netbook remix and any customization that Dell may have done. Can I just create a USB bootable disk to try and clean this up with the 9.04 version of the netbook remix? I think she started getting these problems like a month ago or something and maybe had a bad upgrade...not sure. Any help is appreciated!

A bad upgrade would be the best guess, that I can think of, at one point with a computer I was working with, I had a bad install, and the terminal program that came with the distribution would not work, I had to download and install another one, to get terminal working for me. It also had problems of just about every program could not be installed, including VLC because of dependency problems, not to mention it had network problems.
My suggestion would be, it is a netbook. Create a USB boot disk/flash disk, boot the machine, recover any data, personal files, onto another flash disk. Wipe the hard disk, and install a fresh copy of 9.04, since it is a Dell machine, one created by dell for the computer would be preferable, since that version should come preloaded with any special drivers it may need.