PDA

View Full Version : Best Turn based strategy game for linux

Eviltechie
June 1st, 2009, 03:13 AM
Does anyone know of any turn based strategy games for Linux? Something like Advance Wars or Fire Emblem?

LepeKaname
June 1st, 2009, 03:18 AM
Sure!! It is named: WestNoth, the graphics are really neat and the games is great!

ad_267
June 1st, 2009, 03:27 AM
You've got a typo there, it's Battle for Wesnoth.

Eviltechie
June 1st, 2009, 04:09 AM
I tried it. I think it is a little too complicated. I don't really like the hexagonal map either. Are there any other alternatives?

Bios Element
June 1st, 2009, 04:20 AM
I tried it. I think it is a little too complicated. I don't really like the hexagonal map either. Are there any other alternatives?

Complicated? You've gotta be kidding me. >.> Really man, It doesn't get much simpler then that.

MikeTheC
June 1st, 2009, 04:51 AM
Complicated? You've gotta be kidding me. >.> Really man, It doesn't get much simpler then that.

I tried playing it once and couldn't really get anywhere with it, either.

Then again, I'm not much into immersive or involved games. Gimmie a quick 3D shooter or an old-school flight sim or even a solitare or tetris game and I'll be perfectly happy.

LepeKaname
June 1st, 2009, 10:28 AM
Start playing the tutorial scenarios... I enjoyed them very much...

I totally agree!

Idefix82
June 1st, 2009, 10:34 AM
+1 for Wesnoth. It's the best strategy game I have ever played, including numerous windows games that I didn't get for free! It isn't difficult to learn, but you will keep learning and improving for a long time.

Bodsda
June 1st, 2009, 10:51 AM
This is the same pointless response people always give when someone asks for a turn based strategy game, or even just a strategy game. you get all the BfW zealots banging on about how great it is. tbh I played it for about a month and now have no intention of ever playing it again, its same'y boring and slow, not to mention the time consuming multiplayer games, hey lets have a game, its your move, after your done go and have a shower, maybe take the dogs for a walk and when you get back it will almost be your go again.

The op said that he doesnt want wesnoth but yet 3 out of the 4 posts that followed are still going on about wesnoth?!!?!?

Magnes
June 1st, 2009, 11:08 AM
There is also UFO: Alien Invasion - small group of soldiers fighting aliens, turn based (clone of old X-Com games).

binbash
June 1st, 2009, 11:13 AM
HOMM3 has a native linux client

ssam
June 1st, 2009, 11:23 AM
freeciv, freecol

more
http://gwos.org/doku.php/games:strategy

Xbehave
June 1st, 2009, 12:24 PM
+1 wesnoth, by far the best turn based stratergy
ufo:ai is also good and the battles are turn based (though the planning is real time), its also not nearly as finished as bfw
freciv is a nice clone but not really as good as civII
freecol was coming along well but wasn't finished last time i tried it.

eragon100
June 1st, 2009, 02:00 PM
+1 for Wesnoth. It's the best strategy game I have ever played, including numerous windows games that I didn't get for free! It isn't difficult to learn, but you will keep learning and improving for a long time.

+1 Wesnoth is awesome! Altough it would be cool if they implemented a bit of blood and gore in the fights, but this limitation aside, it's perfect! :popcorn:

etnlIcarus
June 1st, 2009, 02:31 PM
Most simplistic turn-based strategy game I know of (http://www.gamedesign.jp/flash/dice/dice.swf).

Also the most soul-destroyingly addictive.

Eviltechie
June 2nd, 2009, 01:14 AM
Did anyone else come up with anything? I'm really looking for something like advance wars.

gnomeuser
June 2nd, 2009, 07:52 AM
I quite enjoy Battle for Wesnoth, it's fairly simple to pick up but contains elements that allow for advancement in ones technic and skill level.

I also play FreeCiv.

Aside that I don't really know of any free software strategy games to be honest

Linux&Gsus
June 5th, 2009, 03:44 AM
So I installed Wesnoth and Freeciv and will check em out when I have time. However, I found Wesnoth in the menu under "Games -> Tactics & Strategy"
But I can't find Freeciv in any menu, not even after reboot of the computer. Where is it, how do I get a link of that in my menu?
I run Kubuntu 9.04, in case it matters.

To install I did:

sudo apt-get install wesnoth freeciv-client-sdl
As far as I remember the Freeciv server and what not were installed as dependencies.

Another game to try out would be "KsirK". Bit a *funny* name. It basically is a Risk clone. It's a KDE4 version, dunno if there is a extra version for Gnome.

Happy gaming,
L&G

LepeKaname
June 6th, 2009, 02:43 AM
Also remember you can run emulators and play some console games in Linux. I personally I loved "Military Madness" (turbogfx) o the version 2 for PS1. It is a strategy turn-based game. The computer AI is challenging, never its the same and the game is addictive.

dragos240
June 6th, 2009, 02:53 AM
I know this isn't what you were talking about, but for a puzzle/strategy game, portal with wine.

Eviltechie
June 6th, 2009, 03:59 AM
Portal? Already beat it.

kr00lplatinum
February 28th, 2012, 12:18 AM
Does anyone know of any turn based strategy games for Linux? Something like Advance Wars or Fire Emblem?

How about www.customwars.com

:D

layers
February 28th, 2012, 12:59 AM
Heroes of Might and Magic III always wines.