PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] No Longer Able to Login Graphically

ToxicNostalgia
June 1st, 2009, 02:45 AM
[SOLVED]

For some reason, I can no longer login graphically on my computer, but I can perform a console login without a problem. Everything works just fine until I get to the login screen which prompts me for my username and password. I enter my credentials, and the screen goes temporarily black for a second then it returns me to the login screen. I really don't understand why this is occuring. I don't have the appropriate knowledge to even know where to search for the problem, and that is why I am here, to ask for help not only to diagnose but to fix whatever is causing this issue. As you can tell, I am not very experienced with Linux. I am running Kubuntu 9.04, and I think, KDE 4.2.2. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

WinterMadness
June 1st, 2009, 03:18 AM
go into the terminal and type dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

that should do it if my experience serves me correctly

ToxicNostalgia
June 1st, 2009, 03:50 AM
I went through the reconfiguration process, and it didn't solve my problem. Any other ideas?

SunnyRabbiera
June 1st, 2009, 04:10 AM
It might be kdm, I would try sudo apt-get install GDM with your console login, it should ask you if you want to use either KDM or GDM.
GDM is an alternate login manager, it has a GUI and I find it more reliable then KDM.
KDM is what Kubuntu uses by default but the KDE4 version of KDM isnt that great.

ToxicNostalgia
June 1st, 2009, 04:45 AM
I tried it, but I failed because I wasn't connected to the Internet. How do connect to the Internet via console? Or would another route be easier?

ToxicNostalgia
June 1st, 2009, 05:31 AM
This really sucks. Not being able to really use my computer is killing me, I was watching The Office season 3, and now, I am bored out of my mind. I know it's sad, but I'm sick, and there isn't much else to do. Consider this a bump. More help would be greatly appreciated.

SunnyRabbiera
June 1st, 2009, 05:55 AM
Sounds like Kubuntu's going into safe mode, during boot up try to press the escape button when GRUB is loading and see if you can use another kernel.
Did you get an update of some kind?
Perhaps you had a kernel update that failed to detect your graphics card, happens all the time.
If you can write down what comes up at the bootloader.

WinterMadness
June 1st, 2009, 06:31 AM
Im interested to see what happens when you log in and type startx into the terminal

tell us what it says

ToxicNostalgia
June 1st, 2009, 06:59 AM
Im interested to see what happens when you log in and type startx into the terminal

tell us what it says

Wow, it just started up. There seems to be absolutely no problem with starting X from the terminal. Now, I'm logged in as normal. Of course, I don't want to have to start X via terminal every time I boot. So, my question is why is the login screen failing?

cariboo
June 1st, 2009, 07:05 AM
It sounds like there is a problem with kdm, it may help to re-install it.

ToxicNostalgia
June 1st, 2009, 07:23 AM
I purged kdm, and then re-installed it, and everything is back to normal. Thank you all. Marking this as resolved.