PDA

View Full Version : What 2D Linux Game Engines are out there?

DeadSuperHero
June 1st, 2009, 02:23 AM
I ask this because I'm looking to make some old-school-style adventure games (Think of the mid-90's era for LucasArts, Interplay, and Sierra)

I would greatly appreciate if anyone could point me towards a portable, lightweight engine licensed under either the GPL or a BSD license. It would be nice if the engine could easily be tweaked to do the following:
-Creation of a custom in-game interface.
-Multiple cursors with each cursor serving a function. Right clicking would change the cursor. Most adventure games have Walk, See, Do, Talk, and Inventory Item.
-Control a single player character that is capable of audibly interacting with NPC's.

I'm sure that, given enough time, it would be possible to achieve this oneself. I am looking to write portable, free games. My goal is to improve my writing, drawing, animation, and programming skills. If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it.

t0p
June 1st, 2009, 04:54 AM
What did Sonic the Hedgehog on the Sega Megadrive use? I loved that game when I was, uh, younger. That spinning hedgehog moved pretty drokking fast.

DeadSuperHero
June 1st, 2009, 06:21 AM
Heh, no idea. Some proprietary engine, I would assume.

I'm currently looking into PyGame. Currently I'm using Dr. Python as an IDE, but if anyone else has a suggestion for a good Linux PyGame-compatible IDE, I'm willing to consider trying it.