PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Live CD versus pre-installed??

virgoboy
June 1st, 2009, 12:57 AM
Hi There. I plan to buy the DELL desktop system with Hardy Heron pre-installed sometime this Summer. In the meantime, i have been playing around with Jaunty Jackalope via Live CD. Everything is FINE on my sluggish little 5+ year old Inspiron 5100 (except the printer, of course!). My main concern is my ADSL connection. Am i to assume that since Jackalope automatically recognizes my internet connection with no problems that Heron will act the same? My ISP is Earthlink and their response was something to the effect that internet connectivity will not be a problem but they do not support Linux OSs, which i assume means they will not support issues with the OS (i would not expect them to), just the ADSL connection. I have emailed the manufacturer of the modem- ZyXEL- and asked them the same question but just today.

Thanks in advance;) !

expelledboy
June 1st, 2009, 10:05 PM
Well if it doesnt work with the preinstalled ubuntu you could just reinstall with jaunty?

I cant see how there would be problems, but every setup is different and it may not. I can however say that there is a 95% chance it will work just the way it is supposed to.. so go for it! :)