PDA

View Full Version : Sega

TheIdiotThatIsMe
June 1st, 2009, 12:52 AM
Howdy!

(Background, skip if you want).
I recently purchased my first new console in a long time (a Nintendo DS Lite), mostly because it has games produced or compatible with it by two of my favorite video game companies: Square Enix and SEGA. Square Enix for the obvious role playing games. I had also played Sonic Rush, and instantly was memorized and reminded of a lot of the original Sonics, mainly with just going fast. And of course it's compatible with two old school remake/collections from the Genesis (Phantasy Star and Shining Force).

I still own and play my Genesis. It has some of my all time favorite Sega franchises, including Shining Force, Sonic The Hedgehog, and Fantasy Star. It also received some well loved multi-platform games like Uncharted Waters: New Horizons and Aerobiz Supersonic.

Then SEGA released several failing consoles in a row (although producing more well liked characters (Nights) and continuing others. Unfortunately, after the Dreamcast, SEGA went officially to a software-only company. And since then, they seem to not be doing as well software wise. The Shining series has gone as a passable action-rpg, Phantasy Star left it's RPG roots to become a more online gameplay, and Sonic (on consoles) has turned into somewhat of a joke in the video game arena.

So, to the point of this thread. Do you like SEGA as a company, or any of it's franchises? What do you think SEGA should do, moving forward. What would you like to see from SEGA coming up in the next few years? And why are we seeing Sonic in a bunch of sports titles?

What do you think?

CharmyBee
June 1st, 2009, 12:54 AM
I like SEGA as a publisher than a hardware vendor (which ends up being more hype than its worth). As far as Sonic goes they dropped the ball (or jumped the shark rather) with Sonic Adventure. I'm on the retro-side of the split, though I do really like Sonic Heroes, only for not being Adventure (tedious exploration, repetitiveness and an unnecessary Chao Garden)

Considering the SEGA fans here i'm surprised no one has gone and created a Member group for that.

benj1
June 1st, 2009, 01:11 AM
i think the problem with sega is the hard ware was always more expensive, although better imo.
i think as far as games were concerned they definitely made some good games, the only problem is alot of them seemed to be arcade ports so very short, and the rest seemed to be very under rated.

liamnixon
June 1st, 2009, 01:28 AM
I liked Sega much better when they were a hardware company. They had kind of a bad run with the Saturn (which I never owned), but I love the Master System, Genesis, and Dreamcast. They just lack the quantity of really good games that other consoles have/had.

Plus, I don't think they've made a good Sonic game since the 90's. I mean, come the hell on, 'Sonic Unleashed?' Give me a break. ](*,)

MasterNetra
June 1st, 2009, 01:32 AM
"Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood" is pretty good i think, the stylis combos can be bit too fast at times but meh.

pwnst*r
June 1st, 2009, 01:33 AM
the sega dreamcast is still my fave of all time. i have the one that i bought on launch day STILL working, and two brand new ones unopened in the box :)

MasterNetra
June 1st, 2009, 01:36 AM
the sega dreamcast is still my fave of all time. i have the one that i bought on launch day STILL working, and two brand new ones unopened in the box :)

I've always wanted a dreamcast but was to expensive for my parents to get back then. But atlas it didn't get the attention it deserved! Oh well your games at least will live on via emulators. *sheds a tear above a coffin with a dreamcast in it*

Vostrocity
June 1st, 2009, 01:43 AM
I really like PS3 version of Sonic. It got bad reviews but the graphics are really nice.

nolliecrooked
June 1st, 2009, 06:04 AM
SEGA!

Im hardcore Sega :D

I have Dreamcast, Saturn, Megadrive/MegaCD(had since I was 4!) and a crap load of games. I buy loads of Japanese Dreamcast/Saturn games off eBay.

Shenmue FTW! ;D

SunnyRabbiera
June 1st, 2009, 06:08 AM
"Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood" is pretty good i think, the stylis combos can be bit too fast at times but meh.

Dark Brotherhood almost redeemed Sonic and Sega, but Sonic Unleashed GAH!

I think Sega sucks, the Genesis and the Dreamcast were their best consoles but they both were easily beaten by the likes of Nintendo and Sony.
Sonic and Phantasy Star were its two greats but now both are jokes of thier former selves.
These days I more favor Nintendo overall

nolliecrooked
June 1st, 2009, 06:09 AM
Dark Brotherhood almost redeemed Sonic and Sega, but Sonic Unleashed GAH!

I think Sega sucks, the Genesis and the Dreamcast were their best consoles but they both were easily beaten by the likes of Nintendo and Sony.
Sonic and Phantasy Star were its two greats but now both are jokes of thier former selves.
These days I more favor Nintendo overall

Phantasy Star Online is still pretty awesome :P

CJ Master
June 1st, 2009, 06:12 AM
Wait, DS Light, not DSi? You either got ripped off, or are very cheap. ;)

For me, Sega really just degraded after they brought sonic to 3D. Mario handeled this gracefully, but Sonic? ...No. Even the latest 3D sonic games are still glitchfests. Why can't people let the blue hedgehog die?

nolliecrooked
June 1st, 2009, 06:13 AM

For me, Sega really just degraded after they brought sonic to 3D. Mario handeled this gracefully, but Sonic? ...No. Even the latest 3D sonic games are still glitchfests. Why can't people let the blue hedgehog die?

murder Sonic? :(

SunnyRabbiera
June 1st, 2009, 06:14 AM
Phantasy Star Online is still pretty awesome :P

Nah, I dont like online play that much, thats why I dont like the newer final fantasies.
I prefer traditional RPG's like Final Fantasy VI or Phantasy Star II, some action RPG's are okay like Zelda but I dont favor them.

nolliecrooked
June 1st, 2009, 06:15 AM
Nah, I dont like online play that much, thats why I dont like the newer final fantasies.
I prefer traditional RPG's like Final Fantasy VI or Phantasy Star II, some action RPG's are okay like Zelda but I dont favor them.

Phantasy Star 2&4 are awesome. 3 is crap...

SunnyRabbiera
June 1st, 2009, 06:19 AM
Yeh III wasnt that great, Phantasy Star II had to be my favorite though.
The originals quite good and very unique in having a female lead (gasp shock horror!)
Alis Landale was a pioneer character.

nolliecrooked
June 1st, 2009, 06:22 AM
Yeh III wasnt that great, Phantasy Star II had to be my favorite though.
The originals quite good and very unique in having a female lead (gasp shock horror!)
Alis Landale was a pioneer character.

yeah I know. I need a Powerbase converter for my MegaDrive so I can play it. Ive forced myself not to play the R0M, I wanna experience the real thing...

TheIdiotThatIsMe
June 1st, 2009, 09:36 AM

Actually I got the DS Lite on purpose, as I got it to play both GBA and DS games because some of my favorite games are on GBA (Shining Force: Resurrection of the Dragon and Phantasy Star Collection). :popcorn:

Sand & Mercury
June 1st, 2009, 10:46 AM
I'm a huge fan of the old Sonic games and especially the old SatAM Sonic cartoons. Seeing Sega rape the Sonic franchise by continually pumping out Sonic game after Sonic game these days, all of which are hugely subpar, is rather disheartening. At this point it's a fat, old, bleeding, scarred shadow of a mistress, with rings under its eyes, arms and legs covered in bruises and cigarette stains on its fingers from a decade of abuse.

Sega has seen a lot of change in its structure and staff since the Dreamcast failed to take off, and the product of those changes doesn't seem to be good. Still, I'll always fondly remember the glory days and still love to fire up Gens/GS for some gaming goodness.

ZarathustraDK
June 1st, 2009, 11:22 AM
I actually liked/like the Saturn. Sure it didn't become very popular or anything, but it had a nice range of games still.

My only gripe with the Saturn was that the disc-boxes where too tall. After some time the "oft-used" games would grind awway the plastic that kept them mounted in place inside the box, making them fall down and possibly scratching the cd's.

"Nights into dreams" was and is my all-time favorite on the Saturn, that was a brilliant game (and here I am playing WoW on Ubuntu, shame on me).

liamnixon
June 1st, 2009, 06:22 PM
"Nights into dreams" was and is my all-time favorite on the Saturn, that was a brilliant game (and here I am playing WoW on Ubuntu, shame on me).

I've always wanted to play that game, but never had a Saturn!

pwnst*r
June 1st, 2009, 06:52 PM
i remember buying a Saturn when it came out because i was awed by playing Virtua Fighter at my friend's house. but, shortly after that, i got to play the playstation and promptly returned the saturn (boy was that thing expensive)

CJ Master
June 1st, 2009, 07:03 PM
I've always wanted to play that game, but never had a Saturn!

This (apt:x48) or this (apt:yabuse)?

(I use arch so I'm not sure if those are in your repository.)

swoll1980
June 1st, 2009, 07:17 PM
I loved Shenmue (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shenmue). It was developed by Sega, and released for the Dreamcast. They released a sequel for the Xbox, which didn't have a real ending. I've been waiting for 7 years, or so for the sequel to it, but the series seems to be dead. How can they just leave me hanging like that?

pwnst*r
June 1st, 2009, 07:18 PM
i agree, Shenmue was great.

also,

Ferrari F355!

Vostrocity
June 1st, 2009, 09:08 PM
Imo the DSi is a ripoff. The DSi store's never gonna be anywhere near Xbox Live and PSN, and the webcams are pretty pointless. Not only that they're charging you $40 for taking out the GBA slot.

forrestcupp
June 1st, 2009, 10:02 PM
I've loved every game console that Sega has released from the very first Sega Master System console. Saturn and Dreamcast were quality consoles that were just overshadowed by the Sony PlayStation hype.

Has anyone checked out nullDC (http://www.emudev.org/nullDC-new/)? It's probably the best Dreamcast emulator available. I think it only runs on Windows, though.

Toy Commander was an awesome game, too.

*g!t5^_)*(H
June 1st, 2009, 10:23 PM
I'm sorry, I don't like the way SEGA is working lately. They have very good franchises, but even expending a lot of money they don't produce good games. Their quality tests are nothing special, and the gameplay / game design is far from good. They don't have a really good breaking game, and they are not giving users innovative experiences, just following the industry. I'm sorry, but I don't like the way SEGA is working lately.

liamnixon
June 1st, 2009, 10:32 PM
This (apt:x48) or this (apt:yabuse)?

(I use arch so I'm not sure if those are in your repository.)

Yabause is, but I didn't see the other. I switched back to Ubuntu because I kept breaking Slackware (I'm absent-minded).

TheIdiotThatIsMe
June 3rd, 2009, 04:58 AM
I can't say it's all bad. Sonic Rush is an absolute blast! I'd love to see a console Sonic follow in it's footsteps, create a 2D / Pseudo 3D platformer focusing on speed.

Xcursion666
December 15th, 2010, 03:16 AM
sega is still my fav i currently have every sega system including the sg1000 and the nomad plus phantasy star 1-4 plus all of the shinning force games
everybody in this thread talks about how bad the new sonic games are but no one mentioned the awesome game sonics ultimate genesis collection for the ps3/xbox360
it has all of the classic sonic games plus shinning force 1-2 and phantasy star 2-4 the disc has over 40 games total also hyperkin makes a portable genesis handheld console that is
fully licensed by sega with 20 built in games plus a cartridge slot called the sega gen mobile or u could check out the their gen core system
for more info check here
http://tech.nocr.at/gaming/sega-gen-mobile/
the built in games are
Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle
Alien Storm
Altered Beast
Arrow Flash
Bonanza Bros
Columns
Columns III
Cracked Down
Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine