PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] cannot install, just hangs laptop

adslinux
June 1st, 2009, 12:22 AM
Help I want to use linux.
Why does linux just hang when I try to install or just try ANY version of linux on my new Novatech laptop? I have had to install windows on it to get online. Whatever distro I try they all hang. this latest version of Ubuntu from Ubuntu User issue 1 will boot and display the menu, then no matter what option I choose the laptop hangs with the cursor blinking at top left on a blank screen, the only way out is power off/on. Please help and get me running on Linux. One of the distro's threw up a message, I will attempt to find out which distro it was and get that to happen again in order to post the message, but if anybody knows what is happening please advise.

Ms_Angel_D
June 1st, 2009, 12:46 AM
System specs would be great. Also did you try downloading the the latest ubuntu version from the website, not sure what version your trying to install from the magazine, but it may be older than what's available now.

nhasian
June 1st, 2009, 01:29 AM
i recommend installing the latest bios from the manufacturer. there may be some on/off switch in the bios under system settings or chipset settings that is screwing up your install.

puldzian
June 1st, 2009, 01:48 AM
had the same problem (with every linux distro) on my asus laptop. freeze occured when trying to install from live-cd. booting from usb-drive helped.
i've used unetbootin (free win program) to mount .iso file on pendrive and then - through bios setting - i've set boot priority to 'removable media' first (hope you have such option there!). everything went smooth then.

Jazzy_Jeff
June 1st, 2009, 02:13 AM
Also if you are trying to use the Live CD's you might want to download the alternate install cd. I have problems with the live cd myself but the other works great. It will be a text based install but it is easy to do.

adslinux
June 1st, 2009, 01:19 PM
contacted Novatech technical with the following answer;
QUOTE:
unfortunately we are unabel to give any support on installing linux. i have had a word with a colleague and he said this laptop has issues with linux, there are problems with the SIS display adapter. if you have a look on our forum there is some information on there.
END-QUOTE:

will look at novatech forum and also post the SiS display adapter info.

System spec:-
Screen
15.4" WXGA X-Brite 1280 x 800 TFT Screen
Processor
Intel T6400 Dual Core Mobile 2MB Cache
Processor Speed
2 x 2.0GHz
Memory
2GB DDR2 667MHz Memory
Hard Drive
160GB SATA Hard Drive
Drive
DVD/RW Multi Burner
Modem
NA
Graphics
M672 Vista Premium Optimised Graphics
Sound
High Definition Audio
Speakers
2 x 1.5 Watt
Floppy Drive
NA
Memory Slots
1x DDR2 SO-DIMM
Memory Capacity
2GB
Audio In Port
1 x Mic-in
Audio Out Port
1 x H'phone/Speakers
Networking Port
1 x 10/100 LAN & 54G Wireless LAN
Serial Port
NA

Ext Monitor Port
1 x VGA Port
RJ11 Modem Port
NA
Power Socket
AC Power Adapter
TV Port
NA

USB Ports
4 x USB 2.0
PCMCIA Port
NA

Bluetooth
No
Webcam
NA

AC Adaptor
AC Adapter Supplied
Internal Battery
Lithium Ion Battery
Touchpad
Touchpad with 2 buttons
Scroll Button
NA
Dimensions (mm)
36h x 358w x 256d
Warranty
12 Mths RTB
Weight
2.9Kg with battery
OS Compliance
Windows XP SP3 / Vista SP1
That was a web screen capture - sorry if its big etc.... also the HD is a 320 not a 160

adslinux
June 2nd, 2009, 09:39 AM
laptop being returned to Novatech today.

Anybody tell me what laptop to go for?

theozzlives
June 2nd, 2009, 09:50 AM
I've had problems with Dell's Tech Support concerning warranty and Ubuntu, but it works fine on my Inspiron 1525.

adslinux
June 2nd, 2009, 10:20 AM
I've had problems with Dell's Tech Support concerning warranty and Ubuntu, but it works fine on my Inspiron 1525.

Is this entry level dell the same as yours?
and do you feel it would run Ubuntu 9.04?
SPEC:
Inspiron 15
A versatile, all-round multimedia-optimised laptop featuring Intel Celeron Dual Core technology
Base
Intel® Celeron™ Dual-Core Processor T1600 (1.66GHz, 1MB, 667MHz)
Microsoft Operating System
Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium SP1 - English
LCD
15.6" Widescreen WXGA CCFL (1366 x 768) TFT Display with TrueLife™
Video Card
Intel Integrated GMA 4500MHD
Memory
3072MB 800MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [1x2048 + 1x1024]
Hard Drive
250GB (5,400rpm) Serial ATA Hard Drive
Optical Devices
DVD +/- RW Drive (read/write CD & DVD)

A good price at £349 - maybe make it 2Gb ram.

Dell technical said none of their laptops will run Linux, they do not supply drivers and the warranty would be affected! think I got an anti-linux guy that got out of the wrong side of his bed this morning, he was very short and exact in his replies.

LewRockwell
June 2nd, 2009, 01:39 PM
I thought Dell was actually selling new machines with Ubuntu pre-installed?

Maybe I was mistaken.

I wouldn't buy a Dell though(unless you find a used one at a good price).

Mornedhel
June 2nd, 2009, 01:44 PM

They are.

They also generally build laptops that are quite Linux-friendly. My XPS M1530 at least works flawlessly with Jaunty (installed myself), no tweaking required, nvidia binary drivers. It used to work with Hardy as well. No issues whatsoever as far as the hardware was concerned.

Unfortunately for OP, it's not an entry-level machine, and I can't vouch for the other models.

adslinux
June 2nd, 2009, 01:48 PM

Maybe I was mistaken. (they told me they don't supply or support linux and it will not run on their laptops!)

I wouldn't buy a Dell though(unless you find a used one at a good price).

Can you recommend a supplier of an empty laptop or one with any Linux distro then?